• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League | Stoke City vs Arsenal | 19/08/2017 | 17:30 BST (16:30 UTC) | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Stoke City will Win

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Arsenal will Win

Votes: 66 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic

Why exactly was Wenger trying to disturb the team balance by playing Bellerin out of position to accommodate Ox. Ox was energetic but has zero output and very little footballing brain. Hoofing shots when he could pick a pass is not what great players do. Sell him to Chelsea.
Ox is not to be blamed. He is the only in-form player in the team.
The problems are way deeper than that.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I'm surprised reading people saying we were shocking we were absolutely not bad finishing let us down in other day we come out from this game winners and by big margin too.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
I had a lot of patience with Arsène even during the last year, but today when he subbed off Kolasinac and left Bellerin as a LB in a 4-3-3 formation I admitted he is done. Also, how is Walcott still getting minutes, on such a wet pitch when we chase a game? Did he have one touch? Can't believe it.

On the other hand our attacking game was very well today, but Welbeck is bad in front of goal, man... Frustrated the fvck out of me.

BobP

Memri Fan
Kick off was at 2:30 AM, I saw the lineup at around 1:30 and knew things wouldn't go well.

Just didn't like the shape of our defense.

Neverthless, it looks like the same old. An away loss to Stoke and Wenger being the usual **** he is after a loss in the post-match interview. Is he constantly thinking up new ways of making us fans lose our ****? Guy has little to no awareness of mood.

Suppose its what happens when you reward a mediocre manager who simply isn't up to it anymore.

Just hope these two seasons go by quickly so we can move on without him.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

No, I'm really not, I just wish people would discuss the game instead of whining every time we lose.
I don't agree completely with what you've said but you have made a lot of sense.

We're all human and not everybody can put the anger aside and objectively analyse a loss. We weren't terrible, no individual was terrible but there were a few small reasons which combined to result in this loss.

Reactions: A_G

pet

Lacazette is a questionable signing, offers very little in general play.

Does that really make him a questionable signing? He's a center forward, and if you put aside the silly offside call, he's scored 2 goals in 2 Premier League games while playing with a subpar Özil and Welbeck.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger really does enjoy a hard life. I have given up trying to understand what goes on in that head of his but Gerrard hit the nail on the head. We are easy to play against.

The line up

Personnel isn't a problem currently. I don't understand the argument of saying the squad needs 5 players. The same team was capable of beating City and Chelsea when it matters. That is precisely the prole, 'when it matters' is when Wenger determines it matters and it only matters in the latter stages stages of the cup or when we are losing our grip on fourth place.

It seems that he isn't concerned about games early on in the season. It's his time to experiment and do what he wants and put forward his own agenda. Bellerin being shoehorned is the last straw for me. Tim Stillman made out like Ox was shoehorned in and players were played out of position because of it. That doesn't make sense seeing as Ox is in better form and is more comfortable on the right. Whatever team Wenger put out should not have had Monreal as the central defender and Kolasinac as the left centre back. It should have been Mustafi-Mert-Monreal or Holding-Mustafi-Monreal.

Defensive play

Although a different back 3 would have prevented the goal, it still would have been exposed on the counter. When we build from the back we have 3 defenders, Xhaka drops deep to collect the ball and both wing backs push forward. That's fine, but my question is, why is Ramsey so far ahead of the ball at this point? Is there a need for him to be between the lines. We already have two players between the lines at this point. We simply do not play with a tactic without the ball. We hold an incredibly high line, but we don't press. We don't foul high up the pitch, we don't make tackles when we need to. Jese ran past 4 players at one point.

Welbeck

I like Welbeck. I think he can do a job on the wing and he can do a job up front vs weaker opposition, but he had a bad game yesterday. He takes too many touches on the ball, he never provides a cut back and he just doesn't see a pass. How can you play a player in a creative position who cannot provide an incisive pass. He is more concerned with keeping possession and will dribble away from goal to do so. Should have gone off for Giroud.

Lacazette

He had a bad touch in the area which made him miss, but he basically had 2 chances and buried one. I can't fault him other than that, but are we going to actually use him? I was watching him closely today and he is more than just a finisher. He can see a pass and he can create. He can also hold the ball under pressure. Why are we not passing the ball into him more? Why when players get to the byline are they going for goal instead of cutting it back to him.

Ramsey

I haven't played football for a while and this season I was hoping to play 11 aside every Sunday. Not a high standard, more for fitness and enjoyment. I used to be an attacking midfielder. I have since dropped back into a box to box or a 6 role depending on who I play with. That's the key for me. A massive part of central midfield is that it is a partnership. People can talk about the positions Ramsey gets into, but it is to the detriment of the team. Ramsey is a selfish player who if upgraded on would completely change this team. If you know Xhaka you know that he is slow and doesn't do well under pressure, so he needs a midfielder close to him. When Ramsey is there, if we lose the ball, nothing usually comes of it. However there are massive parts of the game where Xhaka receives the ball and Ramsey just runs ahead of him looking for the ball between the lines. That means that we have three number 10s instead of 2. Today it was a bad pass from Xhaka. On another day it could be a bad one from Koscielny or a really good interception. The fact is that Ramsey makes runs constantly and gets rewarded for it due to him basically playing as a striker, all the while putting us under pressure by his positioning. The two midfielders should be together. A pass should be made into one of the number 10s, they hold the ball and THEN the midfielder can break forward. Therfore if they can't hold the ball, we still have two protecting the back 3 as wing backs are committed.

Substitutions

What the hell? With the stupid line up that he put out. Take off Bellerin for Coquelin, take off Welbeck for Giroud. Play Giroud alongside Lacazette and Özil in behind. DO NOT take off Xhaka.

--------------------Cech
------Coquelin-Muastfi-Monreal
Ox--------Ramsey---Xhaka--Kola
--------------------Özil
----------Giroud-Lacazette

All in all, I have written off the season. We may make top four. We may win an fa cup, but Wenger is too much of a dinosaur tactically and just shoe horns too many players into the line up, plays players out of position, makes terrible substitutions and will not make the signings required. He makes it harder than it should be and it's only going to get harder.

Özil, Alexis, Wilshere and Ox will talk to other teams in January. We will lose all 4 on a free come the end of the season and Wenger will be here, with another year of will this be his last deal, trying to replace those players. I'm mentally preparing myself from now.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm surprised reading people saying we were shocking we were absolutely not bad finishing let us down in other day we come out from this game winners and by big margin too.
Agreed. For most part the players were really battling,never really hung their heads till perhaps after Laca's goal was disallowed. I think the frustration seems to be with the same old silly mistakes leading to goals, and the make shift defence, coupled with the usual method of trying to walk the ball into the net. All fixable things that keep getting repeated...sigh.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Wenger really does enjoy a hard life. I have given up trying to understand what goes on in that head of his but Gerrard hit the nail on the head. We are easy to play against.

The line up

Personnel isn't a problem currently. I don't understand the argument of saying the squad needs 5 players. The same team was capable of beating City and Chelsea when it matters. That is precisely the prole, 'when it matters' is when Wenger determines it matters and it only matters in the latter stages stages of the cup or when we are losing our grip on fourth place.

It seems that he isn't concerned about games early on in the season. It's his time to experiment and do what he wants and put forward his own agenda. Bellerin being shoehorned is the last straw for me. Tim Stillman made out like Ox was shoehorned in and players were played out of position because of it. That doesn't make sense seeing as Ox is in better form and is more comfortable on the right. Whatever team Wenger put out should not have had Monreal as the central defender and Kolasinac as the left centre back. It should have been Mustafi-Mert-Monreal or Holding-Mustafi-Monreal.

Defensive play

Although a different back 3 would have prevented the goal, it still would have been exposed on the counter. When we build from the back we have 3 defenders, Xhaka drops deep to collect the ball and both wing backs push forward. That's fine, but my question is, why is Ramsey so far ahead of the ball at this point? Is there a need for him to be between the lines. We already have two players between the lines at this point. We simply do not play with a tactic without the ball. We hold an incredibly high line, but we don't press. We don't foul high up the pitch, we don't make tackles when we need to. Jese ran past 4 players at one point.

Welbeck

I like Welbeck. I think he can do a job on the wing and he can do a job up front vs weaker opposition, but he had a bad game yesterday. He takes too many touches on the ball, he never provides a cut back and he just doesn't see a pass. How can you play a player in a creative position who cannot provide an incisive pass. He is more concerned with keeping possession and will dribble away from goal to do so. Should have gone off for Giroud.

Lacazette

He had a bad touch in the area which made him miss, but he basically had 2 chances and buried one. I can't fault him other than that, but are we going to actually use him? I was watching him closely today and he is more than just a finisher. He can see a pass and he can create. He can also hold the ball under pressure. Why are we not passing the ball into him more? Why when players get to the byline are they going for goal instead of cutting it back to him.

Ramsey

I haven't played football for a while and this season I was hoping to play 11 aside every Sunday. Not a high standard, more for fitness and enjoyment. I used to be an attacking midfielder. I have since dropped back into a box to box or a 6 role depending on who I play with. That's the key for me. A massive part of central midfield is that it is a partnership. People can talk about the positions Ramsey gets into, but it is to the detriment of the team. Ramsey is a selfish player who if upgraded on would completely change this team. If you know Xhaka you know that he is slow and doesn't do well under pressure, so he needs a midfielder close to him. When Ramsey is there, if we lose the ball, nothing usually comes of it. However there are massive parts of the game where Xhaka receives the ball and Ramsey just runs ahead of him looking for the ball between the lines. That means that we have three number 10s instead of 2. Today it was a bad pass from Xhaka. On another day it could be a bad one from Koscielny or a really good interception. The fact is that Ramsey makes runs constantly and gets rewarded for it due to him basically playing as a striker, all the while putting us under pressure by his positioning. The two midfielders should be together. A pass should be made into one of the number 10s, they hold the ball and THEN the midfielder can break forward. Therfore if they can't hold the ball, we still have two protecting the back 3 as wing backs are committed.

Substitutions

What the hell? With the stupid line up that he put out. Take off Bellerin for Coquelin, take off Welbeck for Giroud. Play Giroud alongside Lacazette and Özil in behind. DO NOT take off Xhaka.

--------------------Cech
------Coquelin-Muastfi-Monreal
Ox--------Ramsey---Xhaka--Kola
--------------------Özil
----------Giroud-Lacazette

All in all, I have written off the season. We may make top four. We may win an fa cup, but Wenger is too much of a dinosaur tactically and just shoe horns too many players into the line up, plays players out of position, makes terrible substitutions and will not make the signings required. He makes it harder than it should be and it's only going to get harder.

Özil, Alexis, Wilshere and Ox will talk to other teams in January. We will lose all 4 on a free come the end of the season and Wenger will be here, with another year of will this be his last deal, trying to replace those players. I'm mentally preparing myself from now.

Post started off great and got better as at went on. Last paragraph is nail-on-head (sadly).

AVENTUS

Find it difficult to explain how we lose all focus in the final third and struggle to break down a defence who have their backs against the wall.

Arsenal had what 74% possession today and couldn't find a goal it's a just a repeat of pass ball to players on the flanks they pass it back to the Center then we pass to the flanks again always sideways never that direct through ball or overhead pass. It's a game we should of won 1-3 no doubt about it.

Let's hope it's one of them seasons where Stoke take points of all the big boys who play at the Britannia. They're a tough team to get points from here and a few seasons ago no big teams won here.

Result @ Liverpool a must. Can't lose here no matter what

Gooner_girl14

Was pumped for this after last week, now it seems like it's just the same old Arsenal. Still can't defend, far too open and so easy to play against even for average teams. Welbeck simply isn't good enough (and we thought Giroud wasn't clinical enough, at least he has purple patches).

I'm usually a positive person but I fear it will be a long, sad season.

Multiple great points

I agree almost 100%, except perhaps regarding Coquelin. I am also concerned with how the near future looks regarding player contracts. Him staying another two years has apparently had little settling effect. I think a rebuild is coming, hopefully with at least a good core left behind for the next manager. We know Laca will be here a while. Speaking of, he looks all the part of an amazing signing so far, if a year late. He is a clinical striker and he adapts quickly to what space Stoke and Leicerster gave up in the back and then adjusted his runs to get chances. he played well with Giroud last week so of course he is taken off instead of Danny. I'm not a gambler but I bet Laca would have gotten on that ball Giroud knocked down into the 5 yard box and nobody was within 10 yards of.
I think you hit the nail on the head with Ramsey, his head is not in being a good CM partner, it's in scoring wonder goals, like that ridiculous acrobatic flailing he tried yesterday. Cazorla is seriously missed right now.
We should beat Liverpool, thankfully we don't have much meat in our schedule until later this year. We don't play United until December, which is fortunate because they are peaking right now. We'll see how they look In a few months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom