• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs West Ham

Man of the Match:

• Samir Nasri

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Gael Clichy

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Alexandre Song

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Larent Koscielny

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Bacary Sagna

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

scytheavatar

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
banduan said:
outlaw_member said:
It's a testament to Cesc's ability that despite having his worst ever performance in an Arsenal shirt, he was still able to produce several outstanding passes, and almost a goal.

Certainly wasn't Cesc's worst game by any means.

It most definitely was, IMO. I've never seen him look so poor. Like Ricky said, every part of his game was letting him down.

Incidentally, Cesc agrees.

Have you completely forgotten how he looked towards the end of 2008/2009? Back then he had a string of games where he was completely useless and where people were constantly giving him 4/10 in match rating threads. He looked a bit Arshavin-istic against West Ham at times but at worst this is a 6.5/10 game for him; his superior talent is still as clear as day.

est

On another day, Theo could have easily finished the game with 2 goals. Goes to show how dangerous he is at the moment.

Him and Cesc in the same team is the stuff of nightmares for any defense.

russkiegooner

Fabianski 6

Sagna 8
Squillaci 7
Koscielny 8 MOTM
Clichy 8

Song 8
Denilson 5
Fabregas 6

Nasri 6
Chamakh 5
Arshavin 5

Subs

Theo - 7
Bendy - 5
Eboué - NA

Thought Koscielny was very solid. However, it was a close call with our full-backs who were both excellent.

Song scored a winner but I still find that he was much better last season and that him playing almost a forward now is completely mind-boggling.

russkiegooner

Nela said:
Parker's tackle on Denilson looked really ugly.
Was a yellow at least. He says he played the ball... :( As one French commentator put it: "To be sure, he touched the ball, but before then he nearly broke both Denilson's legs!"

Am I mistaken or did he leave the pitch without being carded at all? He deserved at least a couple of yellows on Saturday, if it wasn't not three or four...

outlaw_member

Established Member
Seems like I have, Scy.

Parker looked exactly like Bale from American Psycho after that challenge on Denilson. Cor blimey!

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
yuvken said:
outlaw - agree it's a moot point, and I don't remember exactly when - I just had that feeling, in other games, I'd rather see him off (not for injuries, etc.). At NO point in the WH game did I get that feeling (the Theo pass probably says why). As "poor" as he was, I always felt we have less chances to score without him.

Agreed 150%. He enhances our attacking play unbelievably. With Cesc, even a Cesc playing "poorly" you always feel he will find "that" pass to unlock the opponents defense and create a gilt edged scoring oportunity for us. This team cannot, at present, win consistently without Cesc. Our style of play is tailor made for his visionary abilities-Arsenal & Cesc are a perfect fit.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Quicker than Walcott said:
Our success rate without Cesc is better than most of our rivals' when they're without their talismen.

Is this a statistical fact? Regardless, on recent times we have not shown that we can win the big ones without Cesc.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
redanddread said:
Quicker than Walcott said:
Our success rate without Cesc is better than most of our rivals' when they're without their talismen.

Is this a statistical fact? Regardless, on recent times we have not shown that we can win the big ones without Cesc.

We couldn't win them with him in our side either.

yuvken

Established Member
redanddread said:
This team cannot, at present, win consistently without Cesc. Our style of play is tailor made for his visionary abilities-Arsenal & Cesc are a perfect fit.
Biggus said:
Indeed, as Kami said- Without him we're Sp**s.
A context which makes Jack's emergence even more meaningful and dramatic.

(and if Aaron returns in like fashion, this may give not just our mid, but our entire team, a new set of options while still playing our game).

mistaT

Established Member
Is Chamakh even a goal scoring threat? Starting to become a little disenfranchised with him as he vacates quality scoring positions just to find the ball and help it move along.

We need him more in the box, more willing to shoot, and more in tune with what a striker should be doing. I'm at the point where I think Bendtner would be a better bet, at least with him you know he'll pot a goal.

Saw a number of beautiful crosses in the game with Chamakh no where in the box. Bah.

Rorz

Established Member
Goals have never been that big a part of Chamakh's game. I think his highest ever total in a season is 16, and he already has 6 this season for us. His link up play and creation of chances are great, and with him as our main striker we're averaging 3 goals a game so I don't see what's wrong really.

As you said though, there are times when he should be in the box getting on the end of crosses, and he's not. Frustrating as he is one of our best aerial threats.

flobaba

Rorz said:
Goals have never been that big a part of Chamakh's game. I think his highest ever total in a season is 16, and he already has 6 this season for us..
They weren't a big part of Adebayor's game when he came to us either, yet he scored about 30 goals one season. It's all about confidence and getting into the right positions at the right time. Also, our midfield will create more scoring opportunities for strikers than other teams do (definitely more than Bordeaux anyway), so his numbers will undoubtedly improve in that department.

Chamakh is more of a team player than Ade ever was though.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom