• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

bonzka

Unfortunately it doesn't look like his transition to the seniors is going to be breakout, like some of his peers.

His mental game is way behind and it might take a couple of years for him to be able to show his ingredients properly. That's a fairly normal trajectory.

He needs games to find his way. Loan him now. And again in the summer.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Think you can persist with him for one more season. Same with Eddie, get them a loan and take it from there. Willock is the bigger problem. He's absolutely useless.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Tbf, this guy just looks like all of our other attackers not named ESR and Saka. Devoid of confidence, playing it overly safe etc.

This guy doesn’t get much football and you can only blame each player so many times before pay attention to the pattern.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
He had a shot on target in the first minute and then he just faded. When people talk about potential well, I keep saying it - young players need to take their chances.

Today Nelson had an hour, then Smith-Rowe had an hour (more or less). Difference was night and day.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Tbf, this guy just looks like all of our other attackers not named ESR and Saka. Devoid of confidence, playing it overly safe etc.

This guy doesn’t get much football and you can only blame each player so many times before pay attention to the pattern.
Young players will get only so many chances and I believe he has got enough chances already and not taken them. You cant compare him to pepe that the club has spent 72 million on and has done it somewhere else. Nelson has not done it anywhere and when gotten chances has not taken the chances. I think today singled the end of his Arsenal career and he will be gone in the summer

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
This guy needs a loan ASAP. He is at the point in his development where he needs to play consistently.

Good game, bad game or terrible game. He needs to be able to play through it. It is not gonna happen here.

Good that he wanted to fight for his spot, but he really should have gone on loan at the beginning of the season.

Too bad he always had something happen after every decent performance, he could never build on them.

Maybe it's not meant to happen for him here, it might need to breakout in championship. Look at that Eze kid playing for Crystal Palace now after doing well in championship level football.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This guy needs a loan ASAP. He is at the point in his development where he needs to play consistently.

Good game, bad game or terrible game. He needs to be able to play through it. It is not gonna happen here.

Good that he wanted to fight for his spot, but he really should have gone on loan at the beginning of the season.

Too bad he always had something happen after every decent performance, he could never build on them.

Maybe it's not meant to happen for him here, it might need to breakout in championship. Look at that Eze kid playing for Crystal Palace now after doing well in championship level football.
Let him go with a buyback in the Summer maybe? Something to consider. If someone puts up the money (and they would, he is still very talented), the club IMO will take it. I half expect Nelson to reject it at first the same way he refused to go on loan but it might be a better idea for him. Both him and Willock (could include Nketiah with this aswell) need more consistent starts to really build up momentum.

I'd still like to see him be given another chance in the next few games but it's really hard to justify considering the attack is starting to formulate. He has to be bolder and do more in the little he's given. I really hope he gets a loan this January and gets a nice run of 10-15 games uninterrupted to build up his form. At this point, I don't even care where it is, he just has to play. Leaves us a little short but Arteta has options and he'll probably more look to use Willian anyway (annoyingly).

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He's probably better technically than Martinelli but difference is the latter is confident in himself and plays without fear.

I don't think you blame Arteta for Nelson tbh. He's been this timid before Arteta came. How do you explain ESR, saka and Martinelli doing well but Nelson struggling?

I think a loan at a midtable team struggling for creativity like west brom or Sheffield

bergholt

Also consistent with the pattern would be that the players aren't very good, though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He's probably better technically than Martinelli but difference is the latter is confident in himself and plays without fear.

I don't think you blame Arteta for Nelson tbh. He's been this timid before Arteta came. How do you explain ESR, saka and Martinelli doing well but Nelson struggling?

I think a loan at a midtable team struggling for creativity like west brom or Sheffield
That timidness almost belies his defiance at going out on loan. He should be chomping at the bit every chance he gets. I really dont want to see this scared performance next time he plays. Needs to start forcing it. Preferably on loan where he can get a run of games.

DasBootist

He played without shackles on against the Europa famer teams and was excellent. Arteta should have trusted him in the league at that point to build his confidence, bus alas, he didn't.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
76 senior appearances in total for Arsenal and Hoffenheim and he’s still unable to impress to earn his place. Similar situation to Willock. At which point do we say a player’s had enough chances and hasn’t worked out?
Didn’t Wenger once say a quote that by 21 you can separate the top talents from the average ones?
Could be made up :lol:

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He played without shackles on against the Europa famer teams and was excellent. Arteta should have trusted him in the league at that point to build his confidence, bus alas, he didn't.
Again, have to be somewhat fair to Arteta here - Nelson kept getting hurt the second he began to build momentum. This is also a big problem for Nelson in his difficulties so far this season. He's had at least 3 different minor injuries that occurred around the times he started breaking into the team.

This is an issue ESR also had for the last season or 2. 1st step is staying healthy, next step is a few games of consistent performance.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
76 senior appearances in total for Arsenal and Hoffenheim and he’s still unable to impress to earn his place. Similar situation to Willock. At which point do we say a player’s had enough chances and hasn’t worked out?
Didn’t Wenger once say a quote that by 21 you can separate the top talents from the average ones?
Could be made up :lol:

I think papa wengz said 23. So Nelson still has a bit of time.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I think he has set a goal in his head to try and beat defenders for a change. The trouble is, he is too focused on not sh*t himself doing it. When he gets to a point where he will do it for fun with confidence, then we could have a player.
There's no telling if he is ever gonna get there, it's a mental block that is more complex to train compared to shooting and crossing

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The perfect time to for Nelson to break through was when Arteta first came. He was even seen as Arteta's favourite. He got a lot of game time and started lots of PL games iirc

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury
Top Bottom