• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reyes - The Most Important Signing in Arsenal's History

patrick42uk

Established Member
i dont think reyes can be described, yet, as arsenal's most important signing in pure footballing terms. However, there are two significant points to take from this. Firstly, the calibre of the player. Reyes despite being so young is probably the first wenger player that at the point of signing, would have been coveted by other major teams. Not even henry, 'the failed winger' would have been as wanted as reyes is. This is significant in that arsneal are showing some sort of muscle, unusaually, in the transfer market.

Secondly, and a as a direct result of the first point, Reyes tranfer fee has a huge significance. Wenger had followed a policy of prudency in signings, being reluctant to spend huge sums. WHilst this is admirable, and is often romanticised, i am of the opinion that it wouldnt have made us into a european superpower, which is what we crave. With wenger's prudency, we acheived two doubles and an f.a cup which is impressive in itself. But to break into europe's elite, through success in the champions league, a big money signing was required. Other major clubs, milan, real, juventus, united never shy away from big spending because it gets you big players.

Remember the reports of players like vieira, pires Henry wanting to know wenger's transfer plans. They know spending big is representative of a big club's ambition. Now, it seems, we are on our way to that. Reyes is a significant first step.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Latest posts

Top Bottom