• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluffyDoozi

Has there been a more overrated player in the team for the past three or so years? That very lucky unbeaten stretch under Emery before helhe gotngot injured people really blinded people of his obvious flaws. Even in that unbeaten run he had so many lapses that weren't punished and got away with so much.
Kind of similar to the praises Mustafi got when he we were unbeaten at the start of the season.

If this game doesn't show Raul and co how bad our defense is then I don't know what will. Danny ****ing Welbeck was running rings around us FFS. The lot of these centre backs have to go ASAP.
These clowns are Cygan levels of bad.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I would keep both him and Chambers.

We've paid 2m for Holding and he earns about 20k/w, was solid for most of his career at Arsenal. He was poor since the restart but that's expected after his long term injury problems. I can forgive him some misplaced passes after everything, and you guys shouldn't pretend like other players don't do the same mistakes over and over, only this time we were punished for it.

With a good preseason, I think we will have a solid 4th CB option in him and this aligns with our well known financial difficulties.

Reactions: roz

FluffyDoozi

Yes, the whole team is overrated and overpaid, at least Holding is super cheap for a PL player
Yeah the whole squad is awful but for some reason I see way too many fans rating and praising Holding thinking that he's some kind of saviour and we crucify Mustafi and Chambers for the mistakes that Holding makes.

Guess it's true what they say that long absences make a player a lot better than he is in fans' eyes. Diaby was a classic case and Holding is similar albeit not as over the top as Diaby.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Yeah the whole squad is awful but for some reason I see way too many fans rating and praising Holding thinking that he's some kind of saviour and we crucify Mustafi and Chambers for the mistakes that Holding makes.
He's not a savior and the club addressed that issue with Saliba and Mari. We will eventually need a 4th CB and he could take that role.
Chambers is just above him in terms of quality, but probably not a starting material, which would make him 3rd choice CB.
Luiz, Sokratis, and Mustafi can leave tomorrow for all I care, a total waste of resources that we badly need

akhil

His passing is all over the place. Multiple times this season he's given the ball away outright or sold out teammate by giving them the ball in a really bad position.

He's decent in the air for sure, apart from the last chance from Deeney. Made no attempt to attack the ball, just stood passive in the box.

How did he have a complete airshot from that cross?! looked like a bog standard cross. Let another cross just go off his thigh as well.

Manberg

Predator
Easy to see why Arteta preferred Mustafi, Luiz and Marri over Holding despite calls from fans to play Holding. On the ball, Holding is found wanting.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
And that’s a good thing?
I can't make this more simple, you just can't have a top player as your 4th CB earning 120k/w. You're delusional if you expect something like that.
As I'm saying, he was OK-ish for most of his time with us, but if you have an example of a better player who will be happy to be a backup CB within our budget, I'd like to see that.

Reactions: roz

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
I can't make this more simple, you just can't have a top player as your 4th CB earning 120k/w. You're delusional if you expect something like that.
As I'm saying, he was OK-ish for most of his time with us, but if you have an example of a better player who will be happy to be a backup CB within our budget, I'd like to see that.

Ideally chambers or holding would be thought of as third or fourth choice but we've stacked so much dross in that position that we'll have to shift whoever we can.

You've got Saliba coming in. He's automatically first-third choice.
David Luiz and Mustafi for another season, one of them probably playing regularly.
Mari, where does he fit in the pecking order...

We've lumbered ourselves with too many players in that position so something has to give this transfer window

roz

Fake News Merchant
He’s actually a fantastic 4th choice CB. He’s looked off since regaining fitness but still hold some hope he can improve for next season. Hopefully saving his best performance for Saturday.

Its pretty funny how AM will write off a player on the back of a few starts after a horrible injury & as you said hes 4th choice anyways!

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
One of our worst defender in the Emirates era.

His price tag and the fact that he plays with Mustafi pretty much saved him

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

One of our worst defender in the Emirates era.

His price tag and the fact that he plays with Mustafi pretty much saved him

Mustafi is far better, and that's not a compliment to Mustafi. If Mustafi is mid-table level or below in the PL then Holding is mid-table level in the championship. Mustafi is an error prone defender, Holding is just downright **** I'm sorry to say. It doesn't really matter either way because I do not want to see either still here next season.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Mustafi is an error prone defender, Holding is just downright **** I'm sorry to say. It doesn't really matter either way because I do not want to see either still here next season.
100% this

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

No, no I get the economics. But Ok-ish most of the time, what does that mean?

To me you’re either good enough, have the potential to be good enough, or not good enough at all. Where do you place Holding?

We have 6 first team centre backs + Saliba joining. That’s 7. Paying 6 average centre backs 120k per week makes both less financial and footballing sense than paying 3 elite centre backs 200k a week.

We’d also have enough change to get a top DM who can fill in at centreback. So yeah, looking at it on a net basis, the money argument doesn’t make much sense.

There’s a huge difference between cheap and good value.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
No, no I get the economics. But Ok-ish most of the time, what does that mean?

To me you’re either good enough, have the potential to be good enough, or not good enough at all. Where do you place Holding?

We have 6 first team centre backs + Saliba joining. That’s 7. Paying 6 average centre backs 120k per week makes both less financial and footballing sense than paying 3 elite centre backs 200k a week.

We’d also have enough change to get a top DM who can fill in at centreback. So yeah, looking at it on a net basis, the money argument doesn’t make much sense.

There’s a huge difference between cheap and good value.
He offers great value for the money. I agree that we have too many CB's and they are mostly bad players.
My opinion of them is that there's not much difference between them, all of them are error-prone and all of them had some decent patches without too many mistakes, none of them is good enough to be our starting CB.
That's where our wage balance kicks in. If I have to choose between a player who cost me 20k/w or a player who is between 80-100k, I'll take the cheaper option for sure, especially when the quality is about the same. That will leave us with the option to invest more in our starting CB's.
The idea behind kicking Mustafi, Luiz, Sokratis out of the club is not because Holding is better than them, it's because none of them is good enough but we waste too much money on experienced CB's.
Holding definitely has the potential to be a solid CB cover, and I highly doubt that he will ever be our starting CB. For a 2m guy who is on 20k/w or something, it's a great piece of business from the club

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
How much wages holding on? It won't be that difficult to sell him many bottom 10 clubs will want and he English so you'll get at least 15m from him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 2

Fulham have made Emile Smith Rowe a priority this summer and are ready to bid for him [Mike McGrath - The Telegraph]

Arsenal have scouted Las Palmas goalkeeper Alvaro Valles as they prepare to part company with Aaron Ramsdale [Ryan Taylor - The Mirror]

Arsenal have set a deadline of two weeks to complete the signing of Benjamin Šeško [Sky Germany]

Napoli striker Victor Osimhen is expecting an offer from Arsenal [Gazzetta]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom