• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: Cack On Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I don't think Mustafi should be entirely blamed for Swansea's second goal. Mustafi sees Xhaka closing in on the goalscorer so drops deeper thinking Xhaka has it covered. However, Xhaka realizes the amount of space Swansea players had on the edge of our 18 and tries to cover the area without telling Mustafi to mark the goalscorer. It's just a colossal miscommunication and these are the simple errors we need to cut out of our game in a league as competitive as this. Here is the goal: https://my.mixtape.moe/cpzkog.mp4

It should also be noted that Cazorla would be covering the edge of our 18 but had to go wide because Iwobi was late in supporting Monreal.

Agree on the Iwobi not supporting Monreal causing Santi to shift in support. Having said that, Mustafi left too much space to the forward he was covering. He acknowledged his mistake immediately. The goal could have avoided if he was just closer to him.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I don't think Mustafi should be entirely blamed for Swansea's second goal.
There's simply nobody else to blame in a situation like that. The goalscorer was the nearest man to him and he didn't even know he was there, because his eyes were glued to a ball that was 40 yards away near the bloody corner flag! His positioning was perfect, but he didn't see, so he didnt react. Everyone had a man. He wasn't defending his zone or the six yard area, and he's a central defender. He may as well have been in row Z smoking a spliff.

Last edited:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
There's simply nobody else to blame in a situation like that. The goalscorer was the nearest man to him and he didn't even know he was there, because his eyes were glued to a ball that was 40 yards away near the bloody corner flag! His positioning was perfect, but he didn't see, so he didnt react. Everyone had a man. He wasn't defending his zone or the six yard area, and he's a central defender. He may as well have been in row Z smoking a spliff.

So after slating Özil last season, you seem to have shifted your targets.

I am not defending Mustafi, but his performances have been very very good so far, although the one v. Swansea was probably his second worst after PSG.

My worries with him he has a knack of going gung-ho in Vermaelen style and that leaves huge areas behind for Kos to cover. And Mustafi seems not too good on clearing the ball in headers. I am sure he will get found out by stronger opposition, but again, he is by far a very very good defender and Koscielny finally has a reliable partner in CB.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
So after slating Özil last season, you seem to have shifted your targets.

I am not defending Mustafi, but his performances have been very very good so far, although the one v. Swansea was probably his second worst after PSG.
:lol: Firstly, what has Özil got to do with this (never mind this 'slating' thing)?

Secondly, you agree Mustafi was at fault, so you agree with me ... So where have I gone wrong in your eyes on the subject of Mustafi? You went on to say far more negative, critical, worrisome or whatever stuff about his game in that one post than I have to date! But that's ok for you to do that, because why?

Last edited:

albakos

Administrator

Because you usually resort to criticizing players and make a mountain of it. Özil is your specialty even during last season when he was player of season.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Funny how this forum constantly berates @Jury for (allegedly ;)) constantly berating players...

The world works in circles.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

You're just a Germany hater.

Özil and Mustafi now and before that Per and Gnabry. What's next, you going to start hating on Heino?

albakos

Administrator

@albakos Did you read my post? I wont let you muddy the water.
Not the one you quoted yourself. It must have been as I was typing my last reply.

I just think you were over the top with your references of how it seemed like Mustafi was absolutely shocking for second goal.

First the ball was not at the corner flag, it was near our box line. and then Monreal and Cazorla were covering Barrow, who managed to cross/slip the ball between them, but still Mustafi wasn't careful enough in covering Baston himself.

If Monreal/Cazorla acted better, the goal wouldn't happen, but still the biggest blame is for Mustafi, I am not denying it.

And being in row Z, what was that about ? :D

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I don't mind the goal so much, every defender is allowed a brain fart.But I really didn't appreciate the open headers that Swansea seemed to be getting at the end of the match. We were lucky that they couldn't convert any. Our defenders do suffer from a slight height disadvantage, but there's no reason to let headers go uncontested, they should at least try and disorient the headers.

logic DC

you people are so harsh, so now ARSENAL players ain't allowed to make mistakes. why don't you take their places maybe you will do better instead of moaning about everything. we won that should be enough.

Aevi

Hale End FC
you people are so harsh, so now ARSENAL players ain't allowed to make mistakes. why don't you take their places maybe you will do better instead of moaning about everything. we won that should be enough.
There is moaning about a mistake, and there is acknowledging a mistake. Pretty much every comment here seems to be the latter, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Not the one you quoted yourself. It must have been as I was typing my last reply.

I just think you were over the top with your references of how it seemed like Mustafi was absolutely shocking for second goal.

First the ball was not at the corner flag, it was near our box line. and then Monreal and Cazorla were covering Barrow, who managed to cross/slip the ball between them, but still Mustafi wasn't careful enough in covering Baston himself.

If Monreal/Cazorla acted better, the goal wouldn't happen, but still the biggest blame is for Mustafi, I am not denying it.

And being in row Z, what was that about ? :D
He was absolutely shocking for the goal. I've not said he's a shocking defender anywhere. His eyes don't leave the general direction of the corner flag until the ball is in the net... That's awful, and he held his hands up.

I think he's done well in his short Arsenal career and I'm happy to have him. But I won't ever try to make excuses for any player. I don't know why people are so sensitive about these things. Adams, Campbell, Keown... they've all done it before. It was what it was.

And yes, he may as well have been up in row z smoking a spliff, because he was of no use if he's not seeing runners. What good is a blind defender? After Djourou, we should all know what use a blind defender has :lol: King of the ball-watchers he was!

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You guys can try to corner @Jury all you want, won't work. Just as you think you have him, he digs his way out. I suspect he's one of the never found Alcatraz escapees!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Best signing of the season so far in the premier league. What a difference he's made to our defence!

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He was absolutely shocking for the goal. I've not said he's a shocking defender anywhere. His eyes don't leave the general direction of the corner flag until the ball is in the net... That's awful, and he held his hands up.

I think he's done well in his short Arsenal career and I'm happy to have him. But I won't ever try to make excuses for any player. I don't know why people are so sensitive about these things. Adams, Campbell, Keown... they've all done it before. It was what it was.

And yes, he may as well have been up in row z smoking a spliff, because he was of no use if he's not seeing runners. What good is a blind defender? After Djourou, we should all know what use a blind defender has :lol: King of the ball-watchers he was!

Djourou :lol:

Shows how bad it was that he wouldn't even make the top 5 of sh*t defenders we've had in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom