• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Southampton vs Arsenal - 1/1/2013 17:30 Sky Sports 1

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Let me ask you all this question.

How is it that Wenger says, now in his interview, that the players were possibly not motivated enough for this game?

How does this happen?

Who is to blame for this if true?

eye4goal

Established Member
We do not create enough chances, it's been a recurring theme. We've failed to score in 5 out of 20 games now, and it could have been more(og here, offside vs QPR, Cazorla consolation at Utd, dodgy penalty vs Wigan). In reality I think we've done well to be in touch come the transfer window.

There is a serious lack of quality in the wide areas in both FBs and wide-forwards. Teams flood the centre against us, knowing that there isn't much going to happen wide. Bradford afew divisions below us beat us that way, and PL teams will do it too.

Walcott(and Giroud) showed their limitations I thought, but I still think the wide areas have to be the priorities for us in January. Wenger has tried afew combinations, and tweaks to improve the team. The bottom line is that these players are just not that good.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
SA Gunner said:

How is it that Wenger says, now in his interview, that the players were possibly not motivated enough for this game?

How does this happen?

Let's just hope for the love of God that this is just New Years eve blues.

We've won 4 drawn 1 on the trott as long as we go on another win streak this can be overlooked I guess.

fabo

6.51 / 10
SA Gunner said:

How does this happen?

It's Wenger's job ultimately. But then the players also have to show something of their own accord in-game. A minute to go and we are strolling around, happy with a point.

monkus

blaze_of_glory said:
monkus said:
I expected us to come out a different team in the second half and to actually control the game, as you would expect against Southampton. Totally wrong.

Balls.

Credit to Southampton anyway, they played really, really well.
I have to disagree. Southampton didn't do anything all game, and were just as abysmal as us. Neither team did anything, just both watched each other pass the ball around and eventually **** up.
I thought they did well to break any rhythm we had. They didn't sit back and defend deep but closed us down quickly and we couldn't pass for sh*t. Mind you, anything other than sitting deep used to be crazy for a 'weaker' side against Arsenal so I'll readily believe that it wasn't Southampton's pressing as much as we were just very poor.

Gervinho was a sad sight when he came on. He plays as if the rest of the team doesn't exist. It's take-a-player-on, give up, pass back. No actual movement.

SA Gunner

ArsenalAnt14 said:
Miles away from the top 4 is the harsh truth and without at least 3 top draw signings, we aint got a prayer this year to be honest...

I think this is exaggerating a bit. This team is garbage and cannot last a season, but with two players available (Mertesacker and Diaby) it becomes very competitive and definately 4th place quality again.

This is what I think Wenger counts on. Having his full strength side he can then ignore what the opposition does and focus on player skill and intelligence to work the solution out on the pitch.

I think he carries this thinking expecting his players to keep focus on the system and adapt themselves to it.

What I dont understand is how he persists with this thinking when it is crystal clear that he doesnt have enough personnel anymore to do this. Its bordeline * behaviour if you ask me.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

SA Gunner said:

How does this happen?

Although he's said that, you can tell by yourself they couldn't give a ****. Podolski plays near enough every game at 60%, when Cazorla doesn't feel like it he'll play like it's a friendly and a few others are the same.

Fergie wouldn't stand for it, and from the pictures of Wenger on the touchline, maybe he's starting to get pissed off at them like we are, though he really should have noticed this a long time ago.

Both are to blame.

SA Gunner

fabo said:
SA Gunner said:

How does this happen?

It's Wenger's job ultimately. But then the players also have to show something of their own accord in-game. A minute to go and we are strolling around, happy with a point.

Its inexcusable that players stroll around like its Sunday afternoon in the park when you have a chance to win and get maximum points.

Wenger needs to be held to task about allowing such culture at the club.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
I think some of you are going a bit to far with the "It's Wengers job to give them motivation".

Players should be motivated as individuals, as competitors, you can't really teach that, ok you can enforce it like Fergie does but Fergie also has options and other players (good ones) he can sub a player for, Wenger does not and here in lies his dilemma.

Coypus

Inexcusable performance. Midfield had no drive nor pace and wings were shocking. I'll credit Wenger for stating on Saturday if Walcott had of played bad I would still want him, because tonight he was shocking. The team prove time after time they are not good enough. We need world class players and we need them now. The answer is as always spend some f****** money. Special mention to Sagna, how he was not subbed in that game is beyond me. When your best players are Verm and Gibbs (and Gibbs was all over the place defensively) against f****** Southampton you know your crap. Newcastle, short of a team, away pure and knackered. A pub team would have completed more passes than us tonight. Truly awful we were actually lucky to get a point. Outplayed by Bradford, Southampton, Norwich, Wigan and Villa this season.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
SA Gunner said:

How does this happen?

its wenger job yeah he must do that, but even if wenger didn't motivated them the players also need to step up and win the game cuz they are pro footballers.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
fabo said:

I got that vibe toward the end of the game, one or two were relieved to hear the final whistle. Ridiculous.

How a team can come fresh off the back of a 7-3 victory and put that performance in, I don't know.

infineon

Established Member
The problem is the god awful midfield trio. They cannot bring the ball out of defence and past the centre circle at the moment. They either have to stop because of lack of movement or they get overpowered. People are blaming the strikers, wingers and full backs but that is not the problem. No one in that midfield trio is running things.

dyeruz

Established Member
fabo said:
Brett said:
giroud runs like someone is holding him back.

gervinho's time has to com eto an end

we were fortunate to draw this.

False economy.

We could have bought 1 good player instead of these 2. Ligue 1 bargain bucket, I f**king despise that league. The days of Henry, Pires are over...stop shopping there FFS.
The problem is not shopping there, the problem is the quality of player you buy. The days of an outstanding Nasri coming to Arsenal are probably over. Hazard now goes to Chelsea, we're on the Newcastle tier.

eye4goal

Established Member
stats via Orbinho

Only Man Utd & Chelsea have converted a higher percentage of shots into goals than Arsenal this season. Not creating enough is the problem.

Seven teams have fired in more shots on target than Arsenal, including all the other teams in the top seven of the table.

SA Gunner

Taylor Gang Gunners said:
fabo said:

I got that vibe toward the end of the game, one or two were relieved to hear the final whistle. Ridiculous.

How a team can come fresh off the back of a 7-3 victory and put that performance in, I don't know.

A ****ing draw at a relegation club who are attacking and leaving gaps behind.

Imagine giving that same 1-1 to United in that scenario. :lol:

Coypus

Here is a stat that we should act on if in practically every match we have to sub Podolski because he is ineffectual why do we start him and kill our options.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
My god didn't Wenger look old in that interview!

I think he's gutted because he always says that a teams true quality is it's consistency and he just can't get that out of his team. He knows it isn't good enough and I don't believe he has the answers in how to sort it out

Giroud

Established Member
dyeruz said:
fabo said:
False economy.

We could have bought 1 good player instead of these 2. Ligue 1 bargain bucket, I f**king despise that league. The days of Henry, Pires are over...stop shopping there FFS.
The problem is not shopping there, the problem is the quality of player you buy. The days of an outstanding Nasri coming to Arsenal are probably over. Hazard now goes to Chelsea, we're on the Newcastle tier.

Even Hazard hasn't set the Premiership alight. Fabo has a point, Ligue 1 is not as good as it was, it's around the same level as the Portuguese league now.

Arsenal Quotes

You kind of never leave Arsenal. How many comebacks do you make? At one point it will turn out to be a bad move. We all love the first Rocky but I'm not too sure about the last one.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom