• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2015/2016

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Cech
Ospina​
Bellerin - Koscielny - Koulibaly - Monreal
Back-up - Gabriel - Chambers - Gibbs

Xhaka - Coquelin
Cazorla - El-Neny​
Mkhitaryan - Özil - Sanchez
Campbell - Wilshere - Iwobi

Striker
Giroud/Welbeck

In: Back-up RB, Koulibaly, Xhaka, Mkhitaryan/Mahrez, Striker
Out: Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Debuchy, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Walcott

Wouldn't know who to bring in as a striker, PEA, Griezmann, Lacazette, Morata, Higuain?

What I like is that there is quite some flexibility in this squad. Many partnerships can be made in CM depending on opposition (Xhaka-Cazorla/Wilshere is entirely plausible too), wingers can be switched around etc.

Losing quite a lot of experience, but lot of deadwood leaving too, which should free up space for some very high quality purchases.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Always thought the 'experienc' line is overstated. Flamini, Arteta and Rosicky get labelled as 'experienced' but what does the word even mean? granted Arteta has the experience of having played in 4 leagues, Flamini 3 and Rosicky has played for 2 top teams and starred for his country but are Flamini and Arteta really any more experienced than say Xhaka and Wilshere? or just older?

Age does not equal experience as they can be mutually exclusive. The likes of Cech, Özil and Sanchez are experienced winners - this is different. Arteta never won an international cap for goodness sake (harshly). I don't think we'll miss the experience of the 3 departing midfielders.

say yes

forum master baiter
Always thought the 'experienc' line is overstated. Flamini, Arteta and Rosicky get labelled as 'experienced' but what does the word even mean? granted Arteta has the experience of having played in 4 leagues, Flamini 3 and Rosicky has played for 2 top teams and starred for his country but are Flamini and Arteta really any more experienced than say Xhaka and Wilshere? or just older?

Age does not equal experience as they can be mutually exclusive. The likes of Cech, Özil and Sanchez are experienced winners - this is different. Arteta never won an international cap for goodness sake (harshly). I don't think we'll miss the experience of the 3 departing midfielders.

They have a lot of bouncing back experience.

Reactions: A_G

truth_hurts

They have a lot of bouncing back experience.

Also a lot of 4th place, injury and disappointment experience! I mean none of this disrespectfully though - Rosicky was (and possibly still is) a fine player,Arteta used to be class at Everton and PSG and Flamini at the very least always put it in. Despite this, we have lost 3 players without much playing use to us any more and have replaced them with a 23 yar old captain who is ready to take that next step.

We also have in recent years signed santi, Özil, sanchez and Cech who have won some of the biggest prizes in football. We need winners in our squad.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
If instead of Koulibaly and a top CF/potentially WC one, we got Benatia, Lacazette and Ricardo Rodriguez should we be upbeat with our squad about the coming season? Jenkinson gets another chance, Walcott and Ox stay while Chambers gets loaned out. Ospina stays and Sczcesny stays on loan for another season.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

If instead of Koulibaly and a top CF/potentially WC one, we got Benatia, Lacazette and Ricardo Rodriguez should we be upbeat with our squad about the coming season? Jenkinson gets another chance, Walcott and Ox stay while Chambers gets loaned out. Ospina stays and Sczcesny stays on loan for another season.
Wouldn't be great but it would still be an upgrade on the spine of the team, just not the quality we expected.

Lacazette isn't ideal but he can control a ball, run in behind and knows where the goal is. Would be like having a more refined version of Theo upfront and the team played well with Theo up there.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I'd take Lacazette, like people have said, getting a WC striker is very unlikely and we're going to have to take a risk on someone. Morata/Lacazette are both in that bracket, either one will be a risk. But I'd take him.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Wouldn't be great but it would still be an upgrade on the spine of the team, just not the quality we expected.

Lacazette isn't ideal but he can control a ball, run in behind and knows where the goal is. Would be like having a more refined version of Theo upfront and the team played well with Theo up there.
Yeah, the spine would strengthen and we'd have safe, reliable options for all the outfield positions-more than 2, each.

BFG will be gone next summer so that'd be a highly experienced CB, Xhaka, Rodriguez and Lacazette are well experienced to cover the season next. It would be a first team in perfect age, too. The competition level will be stronger with a healthy gap between the probable starters.

Not exactly exciting but for the first time in years with a proper spine, very well balanced and stimulated.

Healthy balance does tend to win a few games but I'd be cautious about a title win or challenge even if we netted the bigger fishes.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Always thought the 'experienc' line is overstated. Flamini, Arteta and Rosicky get labelled as 'experienced' but what does the word even mean?

To be honest it's not something I personally worry about, just noted it because I also let go of the BFG. They seem to have a coaching and mentoring role in the squad, but like you say, we need winners regardless of age. Plenty of experience left anyway.

truth_hurts

Debuchy looks likely to leave as do Ospina and Gibbs. We need 2 defenders - I love the Rodriguez rumour and maybe an older CB who can play RB as well (not Chambers! loan him).

Our CM area is stacked with quality and balance now so nothing more needed there.

Our attack lacks something. It's not creativity, to be fair all 3 of Theo Giroud and Sanchez are good for 15 league goals when fit but I feel we need a star in attack.

Chelsea - Hazard, Costa
City - KDB, Aguero
Barca - MSN
Real - HIM and Bale
Bayern - Lewa, Muller, Robben and Ribery
PSG - ADM, Cavani and Zlatan replacement
Us - Just Sanchez
Dortmud - Reus and PEA

We meed another match winner upfront as we're too reliant on Alexis.

Arsenal Quotes

I think I lost my hair flicking the ball on for all them years at the near post from Brian Marwood's corners

Steve Bould
Top Bottom