• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2015/2016

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Walcotts been one of our biggest disappointments this season for sure. In many respects he's similar to Vardy; not too tall, mobile, very fast and good movement in behind defenders. But for some reason he's regressed.
At the start of last season no manager would have taken Vardy instead of Walcott. But now . . . Injuries and rotation have reduced his game time and he's suffered badly. Vardy has played most of the season and grown in confidence with every game.
If Walcott went to a smaller club and got more game time he'd probably improve, barring injuries. Definitely a confidence player.

Yer its funny because when Vardy scored that terrific goal against Germany 2 months ago I was watching that thinking it should be Walcot doing this, he has all the attributes to do what Vardy has but a combination of things have stifled his progression, mainly injuries like so many of our players.
Theo's still my boy though and if he can have a good pre season, maintains fitness and refines his game play to what it was during the 12-13 season I'd keep him here if I were Le Boss.

I tried to defend Wenger and Theo for some time, I thought they had their excuses, players failing Wenger, Walcott playing save to get to Euros. But they are both just ****. ****. ****.

If you aint putting your life on the badge as a manager or a player you are **** and should be flushed down the toilet coming out of it only to be eaten by sharks which will then be eaten by pyranha fishes, for only the atoms to be left waiting for the big rip to rip them a part in the most cruel way.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I tried to defend Wenger and Theo for some time, I thought they had their excuses, players failing Wenger, Walcott playing save to get to Euros. But they are both just ****. ****. ****.

If you aint putting your life on the badge as a manager or a player you are **** and should be flushed down the toilet coming out of it only to be eaten by sharks which will then be eaten by pyranha fishes, for only the atoms to be left waiting for the big rip to rip them a part in the most cruel way.
Yeah, noticed that Hydro. When I first came on, your posts were more 'rom com' but lately they're definitely 'X rated' - witness the shark rant. Definitely some football based schizophrenia going on. In keeping with your username I guess. HF, a precursor to smooth and gentle Teflon or deadly fluorine.

Yeah, noticed that Hydro. When I first came on, your posts were more 'rom com' but lately they're definitely 'X rated' - witness the shark rant. Definitely some football based schizophrenia going on. In keeping with your username I guess. HF, a precursor to smooth and gentle Teflon or deadly fluorine.

Can't dislike you after that! Hopefully we meet someday for coffee & coke, could talk about something else like horses and chess!

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ok I'll put this here, but this season has reaffirmed the reasons why I hate the 4-2-3-1 formation. Especially when it comes to us and the way we try to play.

Yesterday, we brought on Walcott for Iwobi and switched to 4-3-3 and all of a sudden we were causing the City defence mountains of problems. Alexis was now more a forward than a left midfielder and didn't have to worry about get back into a midfield 4, while Walcott looked more dangerous in the last 25 minutes than he has done in all the times he's played since the reverse fixture. We were utilising Giroud a lot better, with Alexis getting closer to him without a worry, while Walcott was then looking the run in behind him. Sure Wilshere, Ramsey and Elneny wasn't a perfect midfield trio but it still looked a better balanced midfield than the majority of our midfields this season (ok at the start it remained 4-2-3-1 but into the second half Elneny dropped deep with Wilshere and Ramsey playing slightly ahead).

There's only one player that the formation gets the absolute best out of, in our squad, and that's Özil. Everyone else seems to be suited towards a 4-3-3. And this isn't me trying to excuse Giroud, because he's missed a lot of chance regardless, however yesterday saw us utilise some of his other attributes better especially when you have Alexis who was allowed to get closer to him and Walcott who was allowed to go in behind.

Look, perhaps we'll sign a couple of players who'll suite the 4-2-3-1 formation better like an all round striker and another midfielder and all of a sudden the whole system will work better but I still maintain at the moment it isn't a system that gets the best out of the majority of our players.
great post! I don't think it is about Özil that we use 4-2-3-1, but our defenders. 4-3-3 needs fantastic ball playing defenders.

example of our 4-3-3 attack (much direct):

• Kos zips the ball centrally into Özil/Alexis, who controls, turns, and puts it onto a plate for the wide forward..Alexis, Campbell, whoever.
  • Kos/Gabriel carries the ball a few paces and sends it wide, where the ball is then cut back for the ST or CM.

example of our standard 4-2-3-1 attack (slow):

• Per passes to Ramsey/el-nenny, who carries it a bit and releases it towards the edge of the area.
  • CD to the CM who passes long and brings the winger into play.
  • Per/Kos -> Ramsey/El-nenny -> Monreal/Bellerin -> Cross/pullback into ST

4-3-3, we need much better defenders (no one currently in our team)
4-2-3-1, we need much better midfielders (Cazorla and Wilshere)

nick gould

Time to mourn about our squad. Where did it go wrong. The invincibles season, we were playing 4-4-2 formation and yet we only had 3 central defenders Cambell, Toure, Keown; 1 first team left back, 1 first team right back Lauren who could cover at left back if needed; four very good if not great central midfilders 2 of which could cover central defence and the other two could do a good job on the wings; two wingers (before Reyes joined in january); and 3 first team strikers. Young players coming through to first team but who ware rarely if used at all Clichy and Aliadiare.

Looking at the numbers there wasn't much depth in there at all however the fact that most of the players could do a very good job in other positions meant that we were not left overly threadbare by injuries.

Fast forward 2016. We have at least 2 players in every position and the sad thing is we only have 4 or five players good enough to be playing in their positions of choice. Central midfielders Flamini, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere, Coquelin, Elneny, Carzola that 7 players fighting for two positions and not a single one is deemed to be great in that position. 2004 crop of central midfielders were great (or almost great) in their positions and very good covers for other positions.

Strikers Theo, Giroud, Welbeck. Combine their attribute and you won't even get a great striker as individuals they are far from good or reliable in terms of injury and form.

The squad is absolutely bloated no wonder why our wages in total are said to be on par with the big spenders. First thing to do would be to get rid of all the dead. Start recruiting players who are world class in their positions or players who are very good in at least two positions. Chambers should survive he can cover 2 to decent standard. Same as Coquelin. Özil Sanchez, Bellerin, Nacho, Kos should survive by virtue of being world class or close in their positions. Jack maybe for potential. The rest sell or send out on loan. Please be ruthless for once Wenger we are not a charity.

LordBump

You gotta think Wenger really needs to move and move quick for a striker now after a Wellbeck falling over......
At least he's nailed on as our LANS For January.

I'm just hoping it's not another Giroud/Walcott/Wellbeck level type.

LordBendtner

You gotta think Wenger really needs to move and move quick for a striker now after a Wellbeck falling over......
At least he's nailed on as our LANS For January.

I'm just hoping it's not another Giroud/Walcott/Wellbeck level type.

Sanogo and Akpom back, problem solved. Maybe Wenger can persuade the Lord to come back.

Toast

Established Member
But as the season draws to a close, Wenger was happy to turn the spotlight on those who attract fewer headlines over the course of the campaign.

“First of all, you want to say the players who played most of the games deserve big credit,” said the manager. “Our defenders have played many games - Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny and Monreal have all played many games.

“It is always the [defensive players] that are underrated because you don’t talk too much about Francis Coquelin, Mohamed Elneny or Aaron Ramsey. The players who are more in the light of media are the more offensive players.
“But what is on my mind,” added Wenger, “is that the team has behaved remarkably well because we had some difficult periods and we always recovered. We always responded when people expected us to collapse.

“When you look around you, you say that some teams drop in the Premier League because they could not do that. What I keep in mind, is that the group of players have been remarkably strong and remarkably united and that for me is the most important.”

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
But as the season draws to a close, Wenger was happy to turn the spotlight on those who attract fewer headlines over the course of the campaign.

“First of all, you want to say the players who played most of the games deserve big credit,” said the manager. “Our defenders have played many games - Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny and Monreal have all played many games.

“It is always the [defensive players] that are underrated because you don’t talk too much about Francis Coquelin, Mohamed Elneny or Aaron Ramsey. The players who are more in the light of media are the more offensive players.
“But what is on my mind,” added Wenger, “is that the team has behaved remarkably well because we had some difficult periods and we always recovered. We always responded when people expected us to collapse.

“When you look around you, you say that some teams drop in the Premier League because they could not do that. What I keep in mind, is that the group of players have been remarkably strong and remarkably united and that for me is the most important.”
What nonsense.

arsmile

Established Member
1- Szezney- end of him probably

2- Debuchy- old whiney useless injured bloke- 1

3- Gibbs- further away from the first time that he’s ever been - 4

4- Per- didn’t end the year in the first 11, mistakes, - 5

5- Gabriel- did end the year in the first 11, mistakes- 5

6- Kos- held the defence together but still mad more mistakes than he ever has before- 6

7- Rosicky- legend, spent all but 10 mins injured

8- Arteta- realistically proved himself not to be an option in the first team- 4

10- Wilshere- got fit in time for the euros-

11- Özil- brilliant early part of the season, still played his game when the team fell apart around him- 7

12- Giroud- went through a huge drought- he always does- scored 20odd goals- always does- gets a lot of stick- always does- he worked hard as our only real option up top- 6

13- Ospina- threw a ball in from a corner and had a little run in the first team until he came up against carroll- 5

14- Theo- terrible season, no real attitude, injured for ages, wouldn’t be near the match day squad on merit- lost all desire to play football for us- 3

15- Ox- terrible season, no real attitude, injured for ages, wouldn’t be near the match day squad on merit- lost all desire to play football for us- 3

16- Ramsey- didn’t do too much damage when playing wide right but proved he’s a liability in midfield for us- 4

17- Sanchez- Class but also a bit mental- was very ineffective in a number of games but he is our most dangerous player- 6

18- Monreal- kept gibbs out without being brilliant- which says more about gibbs than him- 6

19- Santi- we completely fell apart without him in midfield- his injury hurt us more than all the others – we just forgot how to pass without him- 6

20- Flamini- he flaminied, season will be definied by the sub appearance against Barca- 4

21- Chambers- didn’t do anything this season- position in the team has regressed- 4

22- Sanogo- still at the club

23- Wellbeck- only ended up being available for a dozen games between 2 year long knee injuries- had some great moments though- 5

24- Bellerin- I think he was probably our best player- defensively we were far less vulnerable down the right hand side than we normally are and he’s dangerous on the ball- 8

25- Jenkinson- was **** for west ham before getting injured for the whole season

26- Martinez- another mainly unsuccessful loan spell?

27- Gnabry- the mother of all unsuccessful loan spells which has pretty much destroyed his future

28- Joel- proved to be far more of an option than Arsène wanted him to be- 7

33- Cech- made a positive impact but actually had 2 or 3 real dodgy games- 7

34- Coq- had a great partnership with santi but he couldn’t carry ramsey/flamini etc- 6

35- Mo- Good impact I think- we could have done with him earlier though- 6

45- Iwobi- breakthrough season, really impressive immediate impact but then burned out slightly - 6

LordBump

i'd say pretty spot on other than i think a bit harsh on Monreal. Was our most consistently solid player, above Bellerin IMO. Close to POTY.

mm76

Yer Da
i'd say pretty spot on other than i think a bit harsh on Monreal. Was our most consistently solid player, above Bellerin IMO. Close to POTY.

totally agree, was more or less going to write the same thing - also I'd have given Kos a higher score as well as Sanchez and Özil. I think Sanchez has been a lot more purposeful since he returned and does a lot less of the running around aimlessly

real pity about Welbeck am a big fan but he went in for a stupid tackle the other week - mind you some good has to come of it - surely Wenger HAS to buy another striker or two now - doesn't he?

we could still challenge next year IF Wenger does get some extra strength and ability at the back and up front

progman07

Established Member
It is unbelievable how boring and awful we are in attack. We scored 65 goals in the league. For comparison:

09/10 - 83 goals (Chelsea 103)
10/11 - 72 goals (Man Utd 78)
11/12 - 74 goals (City 93)
12/13 - 72 goals (United 86)
13/14 - 68 goals (City 102)
14/15 - 71 goals (Chelsea 73)

We have been missing goals for the last 5 seasons, but this is a new low, and it is not only because we did not finish our chances - so often we do not even know how to create. Our buildup is unbalanced, laboured and slow, especially with players like Ramsey, Alexis and Giroud who all take too many touches on the ball before releasing it.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Out all the recent winners all but Chelsea last season played with two strikers.

X - Alexis
Özil
Wilshere - X
Xhaka

Should be the blueprint for next season.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Out all the recent winners all but Chelsea last season played with two strikers.

X - Alexis
Özil
Wilshere - X
Xhaka

Should be the blueprint for next season.
I think that'd be the best solution for the entire team. If we sign Kante along with Xhaka that pretty much settles the X in right midfield or Ramsey may actually find himself a fixed role.

If the 3 players Wengz will try to sign are a striker(for sure), midfielder(one coming in for sure) and CB(I desperately hope and a good one) we should just abolish playing wide players or just play em as a striker.

LordBump

We don't play with wide players up front. Our fullbacks are our wide players.
I see JW filling that RM spot.

Cech
Bellerin-Gabriel-koscielny-Montreal
Xhaka-cazorla
Jack-Özil-Alexis
SHINY NEW STRIKER

Ospina, chambers, per, Gibbs, Coquelin, Ramsey, Flamini, iwobi, Ox, Giroud, Wellbeck

Iceko

Jack looked terrible at right wing. Why is he running at defenders as a right midfielder when we have Campbell/Iwobi who are much better at that.

This year it wasn't so much up to the strength of the squad. It was up to Wenger's team selection and he failed miserably. Don't forget he played Flamini over Chambers who looked solid at DM. Played Giroud over Welbz for a good 4/5 matches with no reason to do so. He completely ignored Campbell who didnt set a foot wrong on the pitch. He played Ramsey who was in the worst form, while benching Le Coq who had just returned to top form. I could go on forever. His subs were terrible as usual.

Wenger made so many bad decisions its ridiculous really. And he's been doing it for years.

I think when everyones fit this is Wengers fave line-up:

Cech

Bellerin Koscielny Mertesacker Monreal

Coquelin Cazorla

Wilshere Özil Ramsey

Sanchez
He'll find a way to fit his Golden Boy midfielders in..

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom