• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis

KY

Established Member
to whoever who mentioned vela earlier (forgot who it is) i don't thin vela would be able to get a work permit yet so i don't think he's part of arsenal's plans yet.

oba101

qs said:
oba101 said:
Because playing Walcott at the left wouldn't use his pace and crosses as effectively as he would on the right, seeing that he has to cut back to cross, after beating the player on the left, or, cross with the outside of the foot, which is very hard, and only Rosicky does that quite well.

And Theo's pace and crosses are his strongest points. And that's a 4-5-1.
RvP played very well last season, he's shown he can do it, why not play him as a CF then? He's also shown he can be good on the right, but then, different tactics, different coaches, and besides, he wasn't so good when he was on the left wing for us.

Did you even read the post?

Robin plays to deep to be a CF, it'd be a huge waste to play him up top on his own. He needs space to beat defenders and create opportunities. We need a finisher to play in the central area.
I know why I said that. The way we play, and the players wehave, when things aren't going too well, it would revert to a 4-5-1 in essence. It doesn't fit our game. And Ade being the point man, isn't smart. I know you're not saying this is what you think we should play next season, but still, it's flawed. And it wouldn't fit our game. And we're used to 4-4-2, it's not the tactics that need to change, we just need more consistency, and to finish our chances, and play with higher tempo, not our formation. Just what I think though.

qs

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
@qs
thanks for your elaboration, now I understand what you mean, i.e. 4-3-3 with players, playing wide.

as a Dutchie I'm a great 4-3-3 fan, but I don't think we should play like that. 4-3-3 is a very ambitious system and hard to play. I'm affraid if we try it will be either turn out as 4-5-1 (which shouldn't be our system of choice in most matches, since we need to win) or if it's a true 4-3-3 we'll get ripped to pieces. Let's wait until a few players have matured a litlle before going for 4-3-3.

well you might be right. I can see that Eboue and Clichy might not be ready for the responsibility of not having protection from wide mids, especially Eboue.

I think it'd suit our midfield though. Rosicky would be much better in the middle and I reckon it'd be ideal for van Persie and Walcott who we have to look to now as the future of the team.

Grampus_Eight

Can Gallas provide the difference that enables us finish 4th? If so, then keep him. If not, then sell him to the highest bidder.

I don't feel we can close the gap on Chelski and to a lesser extent United next season and genuinely challenge for the title and I'd rather give Djourou or Senderos or an new arrival the chance to partner Toure and use the transfer fee to fund an outlay on a striker and/or winger.

I think Gallas has made it clear that he is going to consider his options next summer and so long as Wenger is confident of a 4th place finish without him, I think it's probably time for him to go.

I don't say this lightly either. As for me, Gallas is world class and is one of the best CBs in the world, but I can't seem him not being a distraction and/or a problem during potentially leans times next year AND I doubt he'll ever form a truly dominant partnership with Toure as they don't complement one another well enough.

I think we all know we were never his first, or probably even second choice, even with Henry.

He wants to stay next season too prove a point about how good a player he really is. Once he proves that point, I think he'll be off.

gunnerGH

Established Member
Id like to see alot more of Diaby this year. Must be frustrating for him not to be able to play in his favoured position with Cesc and Gilberto there all the time. Cant drop either though

kooldawg

Established Member
sabret00the said:
I'll post a lengthy response to my selling idea later. in the middle of watching Mad Max. but just read this
RocktheCasbah said:
Well, you say that, but...

"Wenger, like all the best managers, has form for offloading pivotal players when he believes they have offered their best. Vieira was allowed to leave in 2005, a year after leading Arsenal's Invincibles through their unbeaten Premiership season and, as with Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to allow Ruud van Nistelrooy to leave for Spain last summer, there have been rumblings about Henry's dominant ego not always being the best example for the younger players.

Henry said yesterday that Barcelona were one of 'only two teams in the world who play football the way I like it', along with Arsenal. The clubs had, apparently, been talking for months - discussions that circumvented Henry's agent, Jerome Anderson. This explains why Anderson rubbished early reports and threatened to sue France Football magazine after Barcelona leaked news of the impending transfer. Anderson has not followed up his threat and will be dismayed that his close association with Henry, which began when the striker signed for Arsenal in 1999, may be nearing an end."

"'Money is tight at the club at the moment and this is the main reason why Henry was sold,' says a source at the Emirates. 'The club has to service £250million of debt from the stadium build, and any budget Arsène has for new players covers their wages as well as fees. With Henry leaving he will have the £16million fee and will save about £5million a year on wages.' An indication of Arsenal's planning ahead came when they refused to sell striker Nicklas Bendtner to Birmingham, where he played last season on loan, said the source. 'We knew Henry would be leaving and Bendtner is a cheap replacement.'"

From today's Observer.

if this is true, then selling is all that much more important. Gallas, Rosicky, Ljungberg and Adebayor could finance better players. Maybe more suited players is the word i'm looking for. Rosicky we only get for half a season anyway, Gallas is just a mercenary and Adebayor isn't the best in the world. We could bring in a 19yo and 23yo for each of those, that's sell 4, buy 8 and still have the same outlay in wages. It's definitely worth considering.

So we basically have no transfer budget, no wonder Wenger had to retract his statement about needing world class players, they cant even afford to keep the 1 real star that we had. Bendtner a replacement for Titi?? Hope to god that he delivers.

Christofaux

Why are so many people worried about the numbers either being 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. They are not that different just the wingers are more attacking minded. People need to not look at the numbers in the formations and look at hte players in the formations. with Ade up front Van Persie on one wing and hleb... theo... freddy on the other its a pretty attacking minded formation. People always have to get back and defend. Its Football. Whether its a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3 its the players who will shape the formation not the formation who will shape the players and in my opinion 3 attacking players is what we need.

Last season wengers 4-5-1 was clearly supposed to be a 4-5-1 in defence and then the Arsenal Counter attack was supposed to spring into a 4-3-3.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
you done it now Christo, I was on the reciving end of a great lecture when I first joined about the whole
4-3-3 vs 4-5-1

my 2 cents are: it is stupid to have both Cesc and Rosicky in a three man midfield too similar they are, Diaby would be the guy if we were to play liek that, someone who brings something new to the lineup, that is why I loved the signing of Baptista last season...

kooldawg

Established Member
YeahBee, Baptista might have been well suited to that role but he wanted to play as a striker and that is what wenger brought him here for. Unfortunately for whatever reasons he wasnt able to get going, he may very well proove all his critics wrong when he moves to a different club tihs summer. I like the guys attittude so i hope he gets everything in order.

ronitc

Don't have much time for debating formations. I personally think putting down different permutations of 10 outfield players is useless. However I will go mental if Wenger ever reverts to the screwball 4-5-1 with van Persie as an unorthodox left winger. He's pathetically ineffective in that role. Also since that reduces his chance of scoring to pretty much nil we would have 0 goalscorers on the pitch, assuming Ade was the selection for the lone striker.

Without being absurdly optimistic I feel that Bendtner and Walcott (providing he is played upfront) can chip in with a few goals this coming season but I would still like to see us sign an established goalscorer. Anelka might be an underwhelming choice but if he can deliver goals I don't think anyone will be holding grudges. I'd rather we sign Tevez simply because Anelka is closing in on 30 pretty quickly himself and is liable to lose some of the pace that is one of his greatest assets as a striker.

Babel, Drenthe et al as potential wingers and/or forwards are enticing prospects that might add some more directness to our team.

Gallas's situation is a little enigmatic to me. He has not really played well for us but then again he was out for what seemed like 2/3 of the season with an injury compounded by a series of comical errors by our medical staff. His partnership with Toure has not looked promising but I retain faith (perhaps irrationally) that it can work. Whether or not his heart is at the club is irrelevant as long as he performs as well as he did for Chelsea.

Finally, a solid fullback would be a good addition. I do not feel comfortable with Hoyte as a backup leftback to Clichy although I do feel he has fared somewhat better on the right as Eboue's deputy.

Christofaux

YeahBee said:
you done it now Christo, I was on the reciving end of a great lecture when I first joined about the whole
4-3-3 vs 4-5-1

my 2 cents are: it is stupid to have both Cesc and Rosicky in a three man midfield too similar they are, Diaby would be the guy if we were to play liek that, someone who brings something new to the lineup, that is why I loved the signing of Baptista last season...

Yeah i remember the thread, People can lecture on here all they want in the end its just a forum and 99% of the time you arent going to change peoples opinions. Especially on something like formations.

I would of liked a Cesc, Gilberto, Rosicky midfield, all CM minded with Cesc and Rosicky playing a tiny bit wide. Diaby could slot into any of those 3 positions.

But yeah we thought hte beast was what we needed but he just couldnt find the clinical form, and we needed a striker to be clinical from the get go.

rednwhitearmy

Resident Noob
Captain said:
Barring Freddie, selling those players is completely counter-productive. The squad lacks depth as it is; we need to add to what we have, not replace.

There's little point having balance without quality in depth; your suggestions would truely make us a top six club at best.

exactly what I've been saying since 2005!

run

I know Rosicky had a disappointing goal scoring record last season...but sell him? Are you out of your freaking mind?!

He is world class and I'm hoping he proves you wrong this season.

Nutsy

Established Member
run said:
I know Rosicky had a disappointing goal scoring record last season...but sell him? Are you out of your freaking mind?!

He is world class and I'm hoping he proves you wrong this season.

I agree completely. For one season he's been here, Rosicky has been performing quite well. He's on the pitch gave us the attacking force we need. Though he needs to step up to score goals, otherwise, he will need to rely on the upfront force to finish the goals he may set up.

Selling him after just one season is ridiculous imo. Pires's first season was not that convincing - to replace Overmars and all, and people wrote him off and before he left, he left a mark of a goal scorer from midfield. Give the lad some break, I'm inclined to see Rosicky step up next season. Rosicky do have the potential of being a goal scorer imo.his games so far, though not much can be seen last season, shows the potential.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
he is definitely unlucky this season. he could have got around 10 goals tbh.

we need to add not replace. yes but firstly we can clear out players that are not good enough. i would maybe keep freddie though. he could still be a fringe player.

song needs to go on loan again, take flamini out, almunia out, reyes out...urm should be thats all.

add 1-2 wingers, add 1 striker. this is the most piority

oba101

We just need a striker. I don't see the pressing need for a winger, mate. We have Rosicky and Hleb, who, while very good, underperformed last season. Then there's Freddie who isn't dead. There's Theo. Freddie can play both wings, Hleb can too, and Rosicky can too. They are good enough. Our game hasn't relied heavily on wingers. No one complanied of width during the CL run, we didn't have much, but we didn't score much either. :p
But yes, Reyes out if he doesn't want to come back, Almunia should stay, Song to stay, or go out on loan.

p.s. NO Anelka.

rednwhitearmy

Resident Noob
This is quoted from thegame24 in another thread cept i added in Theo.

Lehmann

Eboue Toure Gallas Clichy

Hleb Gilbs Fab

RVP Anelka Tevez

Bench

ade, djourou, Theo Walcott , babel, rosi, diaby,

that team could do some business

I absolutely agree. That is what we need. 3 signings.

entropy13

Established Member
rednwhitearmy said:

Lehmann

Hleb Gilbs Fab

RVP Anelka Tevez

Bench

Aleandro Rosi??? Left winger, left midfielder, left wing back, left back, right back, right winger, right wing back, right midfielder, he's one young, very versatile player!

14teranga

kooldawg said:
sabret00the said:
I'll post a lengthy response to my selling idea later. in the middle of watching Mad Max. but just read this
RocktheCasbah said:
Well, you say that, but...

"Wenger, like all the best managers, has form for offloading pivotal players when he believes they have offered their best. Vieira was allowed to leave in 2005, a year after leading Arsenal's Invincibles through their unbeaten Premiership season and, as with Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to allow Ruud van Nistelrooy to leave for Spain last summer, there have been rumblings about Henry's dominant ego not always being the best example for the younger players.

Henry said yesterday that Barcelona were one of 'only two teams in the world who play football the way I like it', along with Arsenal. The clubs had, apparently, been talking for months - discussions that circumvented Henry's agent, Jerome Anderson. This explains why Anderson rubbished early reports and threatened to sue France Football magazine after Barcelona leaked news of the impending transfer. Anderson has not followed up his threat and will be dismayed that his close association with Henry, which began when the striker signed for Arsenal in 1999, may be nearing an end."

"'Money is tight at the club at the moment and this is the main reason why Henry was sold,' says a source at the Emirates. 'The club has to service £250million of debt from the stadium build, and any budget Arsène has for new players covers their wages as well as fees. With Henry leaving he will have the £16million fee and will save about £5million a year on wages.' An indication of Arsenal's planning ahead came when they refused to sell striker Nicklas Bendtner to Birmingham, where he played last season on loan, said the source. 'We knew Henry would be leaving and Bendtner is a cheap replacement.'"

From today's Observer.

if this is true, then selling is all that much more important. Gallas, Rosicky, Ljungberg and Adebayor could finance better players. Maybe more suited players is the word i'm looking for. Rosicky we only get for half a season anyway, Gallas is just a mercenary and Adebayor isn't the best in the world. We could bring in a 19yo and 23yo for each of those, that's sell 4, buy 8 and still have the same outlay in wages. It's definitely worth considering.

So we basically have no transfer budget, no wonder Wenger had to retract his statement about needing world class players, they cant even afford to keep the 1 real star that we had. Bendtner a replacement for Titi?? Hope to god that he delivers.
This are one the reasons I said on the 'takeover' thread that it is very important we stay free from business men like Kronkoe because the truth is we are poorer that we think we are. Wenger is doing wonders to just us competitive enough but I believe even with a Henry less team(which we were last season) we can stay a top four and even get closer and with little luck compete for titles but the truth is we are by no mean ready to splash 50mp to be able to compete the top gogs of Europe and England. We will have to do it our way, the Wenger way in order to satisfy the fans, we cannot be an UEFA cup club like the yids or Newcastle who imo have more spending power than us. We really should be proud of all the achievements we did and kept faith on what is around arsenal as long as they are around. I personally will be thrilled if we get the likes of Teves and Torres but I am sure if we fix a fair enough objectif we will achieve it and with some luck we can surprise ourselves with a premiship title or CL winner but let's not hold our breath. Good thing is we have Robin and Bendtner may be a hit. In Wenger we can trust (for now).

rednwhitearmy

Resident Noob
entropy13 said:
rednwhitearmy said:

Lehmann

Hleb Gilbs Fab

RVP Anelka Tevez

Bench

Aleandro Rosi??? Left winger, left midfielder, left wing back, left back, right back, right winger, right wing back, right midfielder, he's one young, very versatile player!

i meant ROSICKY

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom