• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

outlaw_member

Established Member
True Gooner said:
It's true that Barcelona can feel hard done by for losing Fabregas (and Merida) for next to no money but ultimately Fabregas himself felt that he didn't have much of a future at Barcelona at the time and obviously had Barcelona tried to convince him otherwise he'd have definitely stayed on - in fact there is a lot that they could have done to keep hold of him short of signing a new contract. Fabregas didn't feel wanted by Barcelona and that's why he left.

What I'm trying to say is that Barcelona can feel hard done by financially but they dug their own grave when it came to Fabregas opting to leave the Camp Nou.

Also, did this only become an issue after he became a regular for us or did they start throwing a fit immediately after they lost him? (curious)

As far as I know, Fabregas moved to Arsenal because his opportunities at Barcelona were limited, but that makes me wonder just what Fabregas was expecting at the mere age of 16. We all know that he is incredibly talented, but at that age it's normal not to be part of the first team fold. Besides, prior to signing for Arsenal he had just won the u17 Golden Ball and Boot, so it's not like Barcelona weren't aware of his capabilities. I see no reason why he wouldn't have gotten a chance at the club if he bided his time there. Messi was brought in to the team by the age of 17, and the same could have happened with Cesc. Anyway, I'm not complaining that we have him, but Barcelona are well within their rights to feel aggrieved.

True Gooner

Established Member
Barcelona can feel as aggrieved as they want but the fact is that they have only themselves to blame for Fabregas opting to walk away. Let's be honest, it would have been incredibly easy to convince Fabregas to stay in Barcelona had they showed some faith in him or put some more effort into his development like they did with Messi.

I don't think he wanted to be promoted to the first team either - I think he was held back with the 15 year olds or something and that frustrated him.

edit: There you go

"At Barcelona, I was one of the captains in the Under-15s but they never pushed me up so I could play with people older and learn quicker.

"They said nice things about me but they did not act on it. So I thought the move to Arsenal was a good thing, not just for the football but for personal reasons.

"I am really happy with the choice I made. This club had confidence in me. They gave me the opportunity, especially Arsène Wenger.

Maybe they took him for granted or maybe he was just another highly talented youngster - we may never know but Arsenal have done nothing wrong nor has Fabregas.
Morality is a strange quantity as well because Fabregas didn't have much obligation towards Barcelona if he felt they were restricting his career. Especially if you contrast it with what Wenger offered him at Arsenal.

Barcelona should have been compensated financially but that's about it.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Do you know what the funny thing is TG? I am having this very same debate in another forum that I frequent, but instead I am in your place as pro Arsenal, and 2 Serie A fans are in my place as anti-poaching.

qs

Established Member
Anzac said:
outlaw_member said:
Of course it's immoral, Barcelona spent money and effort on giving Cesc an education, only to see him leave the club without being recompensed. Every team would be crying, if one of their best ever talents was snapped up on a free by another club, before they were even able to tie the player down to a contract.

Didn't Bafrca receive compensation - cash and a player as determined by
UEFA?

Yeah Gio. AFAIK Barca opted for him instead of cash.

Anzac

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
VDV, Chamakh, Matuidi and Sakho.

I'd swap Matuidi for M Diarra if we are going to stick to the 433. He'd cover Song & Wouldn't block Coquelin when he's ready.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Agreed.

Anyway, I was surprised no bigger clubs went in for Lisandro Lopez. We should have gone for him when we were looking for striker, he is awesome

fabo

6.51 / 10
Lyon paid a hell of alot for Lisandro but yeah he is class - watched Lyon last night (v Anderlecht) and he was on fire. They look fresh this season with a new system not too dissimilar to ours and new quality players like Cissokho and Bastos.

Wishlist:
- Any midfielder..please!...hell I'd even take Vieira at this point as he looks to have lost some weight and could fill in.

Don't want to look back on this summer window as a missed opportunity to strengthen, like January 2008.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Anzac said:
outlaw_member said:
VDV, Chamakh, Matuidi and Sakho.

I'd swap Matuidi for M Diarra if we are going to stick to the 433. He'd cover Song & Wouldn't block Coquelin when he's ready.
Diarra would also leave for the ACN though. Mali and all that. ... and he would most likely start in front of Song. Don't know what I think of that. The way Song's coming about it would be stupid to hold him back. He's about as good defensive cover as anyone else in his position in Premier League already. I'd rather Matuidi or someone else for that reason. We don't need a better player than Song to halt his development, we just need better cover for him.

True Gooner

Established Member
I agree. If Song keeps this up he's as good as any other DM we could buy.

Besides, there aren't that many players like Song that combine power with ability. Still wish we signed Melo though.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Its not even a matter of what if he gets injured. We know we are going to lose him for a while. Grrrrrr

ricky1985

Established Member
Come on Arsène, you know you want to.

Senderos to stay, or a good replacement brought in.

Patrick Vieira.

Marouane Chamakh

We'll win the lot!

longrufus

Established Member
I doubt that but we certainly need to strengthen the squad if we are to have a good chance of winning anything.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom