• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Iceman10

Established Member
Anzac said:
CF - Cavani
DM - Martinez
RB - Richards (HG & can cover as #4 CB)
WF - Vela (cheaper than Remy, genuine dribbler who can play across the front line & also increases our HG options)

You have the same line of thinking as myself currently (of course what we would ourselves do, not what is expected), i.e. two top quality signings for CF + CDM, with Vela (as WF/SS), and low cost signings to make up for those leaving.

However, if Sagna leaves, which is very likely now, an injury prone Richards (for CB/RB) is not enough in my opinion. I don't think Richards+Jenkinson is enough for RB, even though there is pragmatism recognising that not everything can be sorted in one window.

Anzac

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
Pirlo transformed from a no. 10 to one of the best DLP in modern history. Cesc could do the same but Martinez or Witsel would be better fits. I am just in love with the idea of Cesc returning.

In many ways Fabregas returning would be akin to one of my worst nightmares, as I associate him with everything that went wrong with AW's management on & off the pitch.

Anzac

Established Member
Iceman10 said:
Anzac said:
CF - Cavani
DM - Martinez
WF - Vela (cheaper than Remy, genuine dribbler who can play across the front line & also increases our HG options)

You have the same line of thinking as myself currently (of course what we would ourselves do, not what is expected), i.e. two top quality signings for CF + CDM, with Vela (as WF/SS), and low cost signings to make up for those leaving.

However, if Sagna leaves, which is very likely now, an injury prone Richards (for CB/RB) is not enough in my opinion. I don't think Richards+Jenkinson is enough for RB, even though there is pragmatism recognising that not everything can be sorted in one window.

Alternatives:

CF - Hulk (stocks may have fallen at Zenit & had racism issues with club supporters)
CM - Fellaini - B2B alternative & provides height to replace 'need' for Giroud - Rambo as DLP replacement for Arteta.
WF - Lacazette/Tello
RB - Clyne/Coleman/Montoya/Aurier

Iceman10

Established Member
Anzac said:
Iceman10 said:
Anzac said:
CF - Cavani
DM - Martinez

Alternatives:

CF - Hulk (stocks may have fallen at Zenit & had racism issues with club supporters)
CM - Fellaini - B2B alternative & provides height to replace 'need' for Giroud - Rambo as DLP replacement for Arteta.
WF - Lacazette/Tello
RB - Clyne/Coleman/Montoya/Aurier

Perhaps the difference in cost between Javi Martinez (which is unlikely anyway), and Schneiderlin, can help with the RB, even going as far as Coleman.

Therefore:

Cavani / top CF
Vela (or Tello)
Schneiderlin
RB - Coleman (or Aurier/Pisczek)
Richards (for squad depth)
GK

thedon5

If we're going to sign a top quality forward like Cavani or Benzema, I'd much rather a young striker like Drmic or Morata than Remy.

We need someone who can grow into the role once the top quality forward begins to decline, and I can't see Sanogo doing that.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Cavani and Javi Martinez you say? don't tease me like that Arsène!!

(just watch the old cliches come out after he signs da ting)

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Anzac said:
truth_hurts said:
Pirlo transformed from a no. 10 to one of the best DLP in modern history. Cesc could do the same but Martinez or Witsel would be better fits. I am just in love with the idea of Cesc returning.

In many ways Fabregas returning would be akin to one of my worst nightmares, as I associate him with everything that went wrong with AW's management on & off the pitch.

Building our whose strategy around him YES especially with RVPs injuries. This time we have a plethora of talent in Santi, Özil, theo, Ramsey and others so teams could no longer work on trying to stop Cesc solely.

Wengers biggest mistake was not surrounding Cesc with enough quality for large periods and when he did we reached a CL final and came very close to a title win.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Anzac said:
truth_hurts said:

Sagna has been here since '07, do you also associate Sagna with everything that went wrong? It seems a little naive to do so.

Iceman10

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
Anzac said:
truth_hurts said:

Sagna has been here since '07, do you also associate Sagna with everything that went wrong? It seems a little naive to do so.

There seems to be a common theme across multiple threads of continuing to overlook that Cesc was playing with Denilson, Eboue, an error prone Clichy (at the time), not the greatest of CB's, and inexperienced GK's. It's not as if we signed Cesc for 30m back in 2003 and chose to play him with those players. He just happened to be a gem that AW unearthed. Some players develop better than others, or at a difference pace.

There also appears to be a common theme of falling into the Mourinho trap of saying we have had 8 years of transition and it's about time we broke through. Such a meme put forwarded by Mourinho is mendacious and/or ignorant. Development of the squad was ruined by the loss of Cesc, Nasri, and RvP. This therefore reset the transition. AW has been quoted multiple times talking about how his best work was ruined by unearthing gems, developing them, only to see their heads turned by money and glory by financial "cheats" (apart from Cesc wrt. Barca).

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Precisely. Although you could say that those 'financial cheats' actually helped our transition long term since we've sold multiple players for 10 times or more what we bought them for, it has been frustrating in the short term to see our best players leave every season. Only time will tell.

The sale of Anelka, for instance, paid for our new training ground.

Of course it could be argued that had those players stayed instead, we might have won more and hence encouraged more money via prize money and sponsorship, but who's to know really?

I wouldn't blame Sagna for the barren years, nor would I blame Cesc. It is a team game, not even Messi can win World Cups etc. on his own.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What is limit for this summer likely to be?

Looks like there are a few unhappy players that we could pounce on if we're willing to spend big.

For instance dream scenario of Cavani and Martinez along with a RB would likely take up all the budget.

Would Walcott, Chamberlain, Cazorla, Gnbary, Podolski and Wilshere be good enough wing options? I know many on here feel we need a WC WF but next seasons we really should be pushing Gnbary and asking alot more from Chamberlian.

Anzac

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
Anzac said:
truth_hurts said:

If you think I mean the player then you misunderstand my meaning.

For the record I am referring to 'the Fabregas era' that IMO saw AW install his internal development project as senior team policy, and where the needs of the individual's development took priority over the team.

Where the ends (in terms of individual player development quality), supposedly justifies the means (by sacrificing the team balance, performance and capability) so as to achieve those ends.

The prime example being the development of Fabregas as CAM (when he was already a WC CM playmaker), at the expense of other CAMS already at the club (Rosicky and AA), and at the expense of our midfield balance and performance (which has yet to be restored even 3 seasons after his departure and 5 years after the transition to CAM).

The use of a DLP (rather than a more physical/defensive DM type), is directly related to improving the quality of supply from the CMS as a result of Fabregas' move to CAM in Jan 2009.

AW is still chasing his tail trying to fix/improve his 'solutions', rather than directly addressing the core issue/s resulting from his initial decision/error.

US_Gooner

Established Member
Anzac said:
The prime example being the development of Fabregas as CAM (when he was already a WC CM playmaker), at the expense of other CAMS already at the club (Rosicky and AA), and at the expense of our midfield balance and performance (which has yet to be restored even 3 seasons after his departure and 5 years after the transition to CAM).
At the time, Fabregas' transition to a CAM seemed more organic than intentional. Like it was an innate on-field response to Rosicky and Arshavin not being able to get the job done, so someone had to do it. Only later did that seem to be an intentional setup.

Anzac

Established Member
US_Gooner said:
Anzac said:
At the time, Fabregas' transition to a CAM seemed more organic than intentional. Like it was an innate on-field response to Rosicky and Arshavin not being able to get the job done, so someone had to do it. Only later did that seem to be an intentional setup.

IIRC AA was signed when Fabregas and Greedy were both injured,
and was immediately used on the left flank.
When Fabregas & Co returned we swapped to the 4231 with Fabregas as CAM and AA still as LWF.

AA was only used in the centre when we had no CF/ST options to do so, but as soon as everyone was fit he was back on the flanks.

EDIT:

The issue with Fabregas as CAM ahead of the likes of Denilson/Song/Diaby (as identified by AW), was with the quality of supply from behind by the CMs. This issue was only 'resolved' after Wilshere returned from loan to partner Song in 2010-11, at the end of which season Fabregas and Nasri departed.
However AW didn't change the style but still looked to strengthen a system that was basically born from compromise and no longer needed to be retained, and he is still doing so by using the CF to compensate for his ball players and lack of physical presence in midfield.

Vibra

Established Member
Penn_ said:
What is limit for this summer likely to be?

Looks like there are a few unhappy players that we could pounce on if we're willing to spend big.

For instance dream scenario of Cavani and Martinez along with a RB would likely take up all the budget.

Would Walcott, Chamberlain, Cazorla, Gnbary, Podolski and Wilshere be good enough wing options? I know many on here feel we need a WC WF but next seasons we really should be pushing Gnbary and asking alot more from Chamberlian.

If there's any truth to the rumours of the likes of Sanchez and Pedro becoming available I definitely think we should go for it, our left wing could be way more dangerous than it is. And I wouldn't worry about Cavani taking up most of our transfer budget, he's like a solid 3 levels above Özil in my imaginary unrealistic transfers list.

Wenger did say he was only going to bring in a couple of players, I wonder if he really meant it cause our immediate needs of a RB and a CB (?) already cover that

US_Gooner

Established Member
Vibra said:
Wenger did say he was only going to bring in a couple of players, I wonder if he really meant it cause our immediate needs of a RB and a CB (?) already cover that
I think he made that statement meaning new players in, not replacements for any departing players. Arsène seems to have only recently come to terms with Sagna leaving.

I can't see Vermaelen making any waves until after WC, because right now his stock is pretty low.

I'm sure Arsène sees Giroud and Arteta as liabilities in the starting XI, and will want to rectify those.

Inthe blood

Established Member
US_Gooner said:
I think he made that statement meaning new players in, not replacements for any departing players. Arsène seems to have only recently come to terms with Sagna leaving.

I can't see Vermaelen making any waves until after WC, because right now his stock is pretty low.

I'm sure Arsène sees Giroud and Arteta as liabilities in the starting XI, and will want to rectify those.

Not sure how you see it that way... he has had a offer put forward to Sagna for the best part of a year and he's clearly not willing to overpay for his services...

US_Gooner

Established Member
Arsène's most recent statement re: Sagna is the first time he makes any reference to any other plans if Sagna doesn't sign.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom