• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Penn_ said:
MutableEarth said:
:lol: Cavani.

If wishes could come true......

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2013/9/15/1379257655052/Mesut-Özil-008.jpg

:wink:

Point taken, but everything I've read so far suggests a Cavani stay. I doubt he'll be leaving PSG, sadly.

Tir Na Nog said:
Cavani is weird one, he just doesn't seem worth the money PSG paid to get him last summer and probably wouldn't be worth the money we'd have to pay for him in terms of what he'd actually do..... he's always been a player I've been a bit wary of, he seemed to have a decent scoring record at Napoli yet everytime I see him he really underwhelms me. I wasn't a consistent watcher of Napoli in serie a though..... but I still cannot quite put my finger on what his main attributes are and what type of striker he is. He's a good finisher, I think.... he seems quick enough, doesn't really play with his back to goal and doesn't create things out of nothing from what I've seen. Is not a target man but yet he relies on service quite a bit.

He must have something special about him though considering how highly rated he is and the fact that PSG did pay that money for him despite having Zlatan already.

Cavani is certainly a product of scarcity, which is why he's been so overvalued in today's market, but as someone who quickly grew into a fan of his at Napoli, I have seen him at his best and he can be downright unplayable. He's not a Suarez - Suarez makes a lot of key passes and dribbles more, but Cavani's game as a striker is actually more apparent in counter attacks. In terms of back-to-goal, he's not bad and while at Napoli, he was often involved in the build up for goals. He is not the most accomplished finisher of them all, but he's certainly up there and he creates chances off the strength of his movement, hunger and willingness to play for the team.

I remember watching football with my dad and he made the observation of the difference between Falcao and Cavani - "The team plays for Falcao, Cavani plays for the team". With Cavani, we'll be getting a striker with the will to win that matches his skill overall, and that will be important.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Brotherz said:
Tir Na Nog said:
Cavani is weird one, he just doesn't seem worth the money PSG paid to get him last summer and probably wouldn't be worth the money we'd have to pay for him in terms of what he'd actually do..... he's always been a player I've been a bit wary of, he seemed to have a decent scoring record at Napoli yet everytime I see him he really underwhelms me. I wasn't a consistent watcher of Napoli in serie a though..... but I still cannot quite put my finger on what his main attributes are and what type of striker he is. He's a good finisher, I think.... he seems quick enough, doesn't really play with his back to goal and doesn't create things out of nothing from what I've seen. Is not a target man but yet he relies on service quite a bit.

He must have something special about him though considering how highly rated he is and the fact that PSG did pay that money for him despite having Zlatan already.
He's world class there's no doubt about that.
He is quick, very strong and very intelligent, those three attributes alone allow him to be a quality player.
I rate him so highly I was begging Wenger to go all out for him last summer.

Works his bollocks off too.

Cavani was always going to cost a fair sum of money. Far more than we were willing to pay for Özil.

I'd love to see Cavani in front of Özil though, the movement plus the passing. Cavani has deceptive pace and will move into channels to allow space for midfielders, especially in counter attacks. We saw what a raw Yaya Sanogo can do in that regard, we'd essentially be getting a player who actually has the technique, skill and finishing to cause damage.

The only thing I would say about Cavani is that while he's a better finisher than Giroud, he is not averse to missing chances, and he takes a quite a few shots too. In his last season at Napoli, his conversion rate was something like 19%. Not bad, but not what you'd expect of someone considered an elite, world class finisher.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
The one player I would actually pay more than we paid Özil for right now is Pogba. Absolutely dominating for France, honestly makes it look like he is playing against kids.

Pogba-Ramsey would perhaps be the best midfield base in the world.

Impact

Established Member
I'm still shocked Man Utd managed to let a player like Pogba go especially considering their dire midfield options.

Impact

Established Member
I think Ramsey and Pogba wouldn't work as a base unless you limited one to playing as a defensive midfielder. Both have the desire to bomb forward. It would leave a team really susceptible to a counter attack.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Ramsey and Pobga playing together would only work if you played a 4-2-2-2

Ramsey - DM
Pogba - Özil
Walcott - Striker

In a 4-2-2-2, though, there's a greater defensive demand on the fullbacks, so you'd need hefty upgrades on Gibbs, Jenkinson and the new underwhelming RB we're probably buying. Someone like Juanfran would be perfect for that role.

Impact

Established Member
I think in that formation Ramsey and Pogba would be getting into each others way.

I'd think they'd work best in a midfield three in front of an anchor.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Impact said:
I'm still shocked Man Utd managed to let a player like Pogba go especially considering their dire midfield options.

They had Tom Cleverly and Darren Gibson......

Same reason they let Guiseppe Rossi go because they had Fredrico Macheda comign through, or when they let Pique go because they had Evans.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Tir Na Nog said:
Impact said:

They had Tom Cleverly and Darren Gibson......

Same reason they let Guiseppe Rossi go because they had Fredrico Macheda comign through, or when they let Pique go because they had Evans.

Pogba pushed to leave, Barcelona activated a clause with Pique to get him back etc. Not alot you can do.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I thought Pogba was angry that they didn't make enough effort to convince him to stay and they seemed more than willing to let him go.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Pretty sure it was Pogba pushing to leave, United started him quite a bit in the back end of the season he left to try and convince him.

Iceman10

Established Member
The summer prior to that season Fergie said he wasn't looking to add to his CM, pointing to Pogba and being promising on the back of their Youth Cup winning team. This messed Pogba's head because he did not get match time in line with his expectations, particularly in matches he would expect to get some minutes against lower teams at Old Trafford. Pogba bears some responsibility also, but he was a kid and apart from racism stuff in Italy he definitely is proving to be no Balotelli in terms of the head on his shoulders. He may have been given match time later on in the season to try to change his mind but by then things had gone too far in terms of bad feelings and dressing room relations also.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I place the blame solely on Fungus' shoulders. He used ****ing Rafael as a midfielder and even kicked Scholes out of his wheelchair onto the pitch instead of playing Pogba at least in their easier home fixtures. I remember being pretty content with the developments at that time, Pogba was more than good enough for their **** CM back then already.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Griezmann maybe isnt my biggest wish, but man I can see that guy making it big, really big if he comes here.
He has Arsenal written all over him, sounds way too perfect and expected to actually happen.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
NBC journalist Michael Stafford claimed earlier in the week that we submitted a 20M bid for Hulk. Today he is claiming the 20m bid was rejected but we came back with an improved offer of 26.5m which Zenit have accepted.I have no idea how reliable this journalist is though.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom