• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Arsenal v AS Monaco - 25/2/15, 19:45 - SS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
----------------Szczesny
Bellerin-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Gibbs
------------Coquelin-Cazorla
Walcott------------Özil-------Alexis
------------------Giroud

Subs: Ospina, Chambers, Gabriel, Monreal, Wilshere, Rosicky, Welbeck

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Taylor Gang Gunners said:
truth_hurts said:
in Europe I think We can definitely use Santi and Coquellin.

Be a bit difficult against Monaco, they have Kondogbia in the middle of the park, an absolute beast. I doubt Santi would get much joy out of him, if Santi plays in this one it'll have to be at no. 10.

Apart from FIFA he's been pretty average, still should be going with Jack and Coquelin in midfield. Playing Santi there has been a failure.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The tempo will suit us as it usually does. Monaco don't know how to force a pace and they'll try and soak it up. Fancy us running out convincing winners no matter who plays or how we set up tbh.

cannonade

Established Member
For some reason I keep thinking this leg is away. How much are Monaco going to stretch themselves looking for the away goal? Even if they park it they're going to have to come out eventually...but 0-0 doesn't hurt them too bad in this leg, so they'll probably really park it. Could be a long game in that regard.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Monaco away will feel like a home match too. But first we need to take care of the homematch at the Emirates.

Expect a long game too. That requires patience and control from us.

BobP

Memri Fan
I'm pretty confident for this, Wenger knows French football inside out, managers, players and their characteristics.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Think this might be harder than some envision. They will settle for a nil nil and playing on the counter something that we struggle against jn terms of breaking teams down that play that way and being sucker punched.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Can't understand people suggesting Szczesny will start. It will take a monumental ****up from Ospina to get benched in league and CL matches. Ospina has been solid with no drama so far.

I think we'll see the same team as Crystal Palace, with only exception if Bellerin is fit, he may get the nod ahead of Chambers.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
I'm not sure if Coquelin, Cazorla and Özil has enough about it defensively, particularly against a bigger opponent like Monaco. I'd be inclined to play Rosicky and push Özil out wide. It's a shame Wilshere's only just returned from injury.

cannonade

Established Member
With Alexis, Theo or Welbeck playing wide there's no place for Özil to go except centrally, with Cazorla dropping deeper and Le Coq behind. That seems to be the favored setup by Wenger at the moment. Will be interesting to see for this one. I think he'll opt for the most attacking side he can afford based on how Monaco prefers to play.

Iceman10

Established Member
That's a nice way to squeeze in your fave Sim :p Not sure on how potent a threat Monaco really is. Their goalscoring this season has been on the low side although I don't want to tempt fate. Have also read they have a few injuries. Are they better than a mid-table team in the PL? Don't think so. IMO defensively it will be more about individual focus and not making silly errors, as opposed to line up. We should have enough quality.

morpho

Established Member
Im with Bingobob on this one... Me meet the bloody busdrivers when it comes to park the darn ting, on our turf, in the CL last 16. We dont cope too good with organized defending. Im willing to sacrifice Özil for a more speedy attack here...

GDeep™

League is very weak
I'm probably going to be nervous and excited for the first time in years for this game on Wednesday.

The last 10 years have taken a lot out of me tbh. Supporting Arsenal and Wenger, all the ups and downs, players leaving etc, kills something. But this Monaco tie has the blood pumping again.

dave_rwr

Established Member
Their goal difference this season really hints at how they'll be playing against us. Considering they have 26 goals for and 19 goals against in 25 games, and that's also playing against teams like Lens and Metz - fair to say they'll try to soak up the pressure. May be a boring game to watch as we're not always able to break down that sort of approach (which may be another reason why Theo will not be selected to start - he doesn't always fair well if there's no space in behind to run into), but hopefully we can grind one out and squeeze a couple past them.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I wouldnt go with 3 strikers, no need. We need to build possesion and keep it safe at back. 2 strikers is enough to attack them and score 1 or 2. Means, no welbeck or theo, but yes tomas

...........giroud
Alexis.............Özil
.....santi.......rosicky
..........coquelin

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
For me our biggest challenge is patience. I'd like us to see stay calm and patient, and most of all not concede a silly goal or two like we always seem to do, especially against inferior teams.

I think they'll play exactly like they did in the Emirates cup and hope to hit us on the counter. This time Falcao is not there to head the winning goal, but they're still a good side and we shouldn't underestimate them.

COYG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom