• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Arsenal v AZ Alkmaar, 04/11/09, 19:45

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
Proof said:
I'm surprised that many of you are so confdent with Rosicky's return for this match. I would like to see Fabregas - Song - Nasri, midfield just for this game, to see how it works, although I highly doubt it.

- Almunia -
- Sagna - Gallas - Vermaelen - Clichy -
- Fabregas - Song - Nasri -
- Eduardo - Van Persie - Arshavin -

Switch Dudu and Shava and that line-up is the stuff of dreams. For me, anyway.

raphael_as

I know there are benefits to ensuring early qualification, but does no one think we should rest, for example, a Gallas, Vermaelen, or Cesc?
Cesc maybe - play him for an hour and then if we are in control sub him. Don't think Gallas or the Verminator have looked jaded/tired at all, and the partnership is still new enough that I want them to get as many matches as possible together.

Can't see both Rosicky and Nasri starting to be honest, but I would love to see the Nasri-Song-Cesc midfield in action as well, but I would guess Wenger will go with minor changes from the team that squashed the spuds, and give players run-outs around the hour mark.

We have Wolves next (away) so I would be more inclined to rest players there then for a game where we have the chance to close out qualifying now and so get the luxury of two low pressure CL games, both of which incindentally come before huge EPL games: Standard Liege at home on the 24th Nov with Chelsea at home on the weekend (Sun 29 Nov) and then Olympiacos away (Wed 9 Dec) followed by Liverpool away (Sun 13 Dec).

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
I know there are benefits to ensuring early qualification, but does no one think we should rest, for example, a Gallas, Vermaelen, or Cesc?

I wouldn't mind seeing Phil get a run-out.

Somethings just dawned on me. After next Saturday will the likes of Cesc, Vermaelen and anybody not involved in the European play-offs have two weeks off?

If thats the case, i hope we go with full strength teams in the next 2 games.

GaelForce22

Established Member
AnthonyG said:

That would be good. Was glad to see him on the bench instead of Silvestre yesterday too.

otfgoon

Established Member
AnthonyG said:

Getting back on a winning run and getting some momentum going is more important that giving a few players some rest for me. Once we've qualified then yeah.

otfgoon

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
Somethings just dawned on me. After next Saturday will the likes of Cesc, Vermaelen and anybody not involved in the European play-offs have two weeks off?

No, other sides will have friendlies.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Armor for Sleep said:

No, other sides will have friendlies.

Ah of course. Time for another coffee i think.

TomasCR

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Absolutely perfect game to test out the Song-Cesc-Nasri midfield axis.
With you there, can't wait to see that actually.

AnthonyG said:

Gallas and Vermaelen are good shouts as the risk of them getting injured is growing by every game so perhaps big Phil or Silvestre could be swapped for one of the two. Because, like it or not, either Gallas or Vermaelen will get injured at some point and we have to make sure there are players who are able to replace them.

Fabregas I wouldn't agree with as I would really, really love to see him play with Nasri finally.
Code:
             Almunia
Sagna  Senderos  Vermaelen Clichy
    Fabregas   Song    Nasri
Eduardo        RvP        Arshavin

I wouldn't mind seeing Eboue or Gibbs being there instead of you know who. Rosicky I'm not sure about as Wenger said he could be available for this one, which basically means he will not be but it's not like we would need him in this kind of game anyway. Get him fit for Saturday. And Eduardo needs games so give him a start.

sabret00the

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
MDGoonah41 said:
so now sabre's looking for attention and so says he wants Arshavin dropped

I expect him to score a brace.

fixed for ya
there is no better game than to drop/leave Shavva out. AZ shouldn't be a huge problem for us, as long as we're mentally stronger than the two games prior to the Spuds, we'll be fine. Wenger tried one method, which was to talk Shavva up and the only thing that done, was make Shavva feel like he could turn it into a one man show, thus we need to secure a win without him and attempt to get him believing in the team as a cohesive unit. It's hardly "put me on in his place".

Gurgen

Established Member
Look, you don't drop a player like Arshavin. You get down on your knees, thank the good lord he plays for us, and play him every single meaningful game he's fit.

Burnwinter

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Wenger tried one method, which was to talk Shavva up and the only thing that done, was make Shavva feel like he could turn it into a one man show
Wenger's media comments before the match were probably accompanied by explicit instructions to run at Spuds' back four behind the scenes. That's what Arshavin so evidently tried to do in the first half and it didn't come off for him - but it easily could have.

I was pleased to see the little big man putting a good shift in effort wise. That was what he lacked in the West Ham match, if he plays at the right tempo then we know his talent is likely to be rewarded as often as not.

Whether or not he plays against AZ, it's a match we should very much want to win. If we qualify early for the knockout rounds that'll be the time to start resting players.

viper_001

Established Member
What I hope to see is Wenger fielding the strongest possible team, with the exception of Arshavin starting from the bench. The only problem with Arshavin's game is that he tires out quickly, which clashes with Wenger's tendency to sub players very late in matches unless things are going sour.

One (just one) younger player who is really hungry to impress would be best. Someone like Vela or Watt would link up well with the rest of the team and take their chances. Then sub in Arshavin in the 2nd half and he would run riot against a tired defence.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
viper_001 said:
One (just one) younger player who is really hungry to impress would be best. Someone like Vela or Watt would link up well with the rest of the team and take their chances. Then sub in Arshavin in the 2nd half and he would run riot against a tired defence.
i would put Vela in a whole other bracket than Watt.. Watt is not ready to play with the first team just yet, but Vela should be given time, for sure (except i think he's injured again)..

sabret00the

Established Member
If Shavva was simply following instructions, Wenger wouldn't have got so frustrated as to throw his blazer.

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
sabret00the said:
If Shavva was simply following instructions, Wenger wouldn't have got so frustrated as to throw his blazer.
I could be wrong, but I thought Arsène threw his blazer because of Eduardo's miss.

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom