• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL – Montpellier vs Arsenal – 7:45pm – 18/9/12 - SS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

marv3llous

Changes from Southampton game:

Kos to come in for Per
Santos in for Gibbs
Diaby in for Coq
Giroud in for Gerv
... aaand maybe should keep Gerv on instead of Ox.

Kos, Santos and Giroud simply need game time, Diaby has to play so he wouldnt feel rusty for the City game. Keep him on for ~60 minutes, then bring either Ramsey or Coq on. Ox needs a small breather, Gervinho was on fire and should keep the momentum going.

And i rather want us to push for the group early rather than leave it late by breaking the momentm and rotating too much. We are always starting to pick up injuries nov-dec so i want it all settled by the end of matchday 5.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
Yeah I'd be a little worried about putting Gervinho back on the wing, his confidence must be sky high round about now and I don't want to inhibit that with a limited so-so winger performance.

We have enough options out wide, Podolski, Walcott, Chamberlain, Santos.

Hell if we want to rest players play Santos and Walnut?

More interesting for me is CAM? if we do rest Santi without the more obvious choices of Jack and Rosicky who's going to fill those giant sized shoes? it'll be an interesting line up from Wenger for sure.

Joegunner

The great thing this year seems to be that AW has a decent amount to choose from, and he's got a pool of players who now really have to step up if they want to be part of his plans.

Been a while since we've been in a position where players are genuinely battling for places.....

Nice!

marv3llous

Dont think playing Gerv on the wing is going to disrupt him in any way. Its his natural position and he (and we) surely cant think of him as our main CF now. Its all about getting Giroud settled aswell, if we're not going to give him a chance against Montpellier then when else?

And im only suggesting giving Ox the breather as he was heavily included during the interlull aswell and did 90 mins on saturday. Other changes (Kos, Santos, Diaby) are purely to keep the cobwebs out. Kos always has superb games in europe also, so it would make sense.

Jbruin

Established Member
I'd like to see Ramsey in for Coquelin, no need to rush Diaby back really, als wouldn't mind seeing Theo given a go as our striker.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
marv3llous said:
..... and he (and we) surely cant think of him as our main CF now. Its all about getting Giroud settled aswell, if we're not going to give him a chance against Montpellier then when else?

Why not? if he's going to score more than our other options and cause problems for defences I don't see what the problem is?

Yes I agree we need to get Giroud going for sure but I think Arsène has indicated he is looking to convert Gerv and considering our lack of options after a non off the mark Giroud, it's sorely needed.

Any way it's not what we think it's what Arsène thinks and the interview he gave about this indicates he's going for it and I'm in agreement personally.

Therapy Inc

-----------------Szszesny
Jenkinson-Mertesacker-Koschielny-Santos
----------------Diaby-Arteta
------------------Ramsey
----------Walcott---------Podolski
------------------Giroud

Rest Cazorla. The man has played alot of football and he needs to be 100% for Man City. I don't expect a drop off from lack of football. Ramsey has looked adequate and he's been consistently good in Europe in the past. We need Ramsey to develop because if Cazorla goes down, we have no conventional cover.

Diaby, Giroud, and Koschielny need more minutes. I also believe it is VERY important to have Koschielny at least ready to play for Man City. If Aguero is going to play, I'd prefer to start Koschielny but he needs to get minutes for me to be comfortable doing that.

I believe this team is strong enough to beat Montpellier at least 1-0. I am not concerned about the drop off in play from leaving out Cazorla and Gervihno. They'll be available on the bench for 60-70 minute cameos.

Note: I'd also have no problem if Coquelin played over Arteta. That is a toss-up in my mind. Arteta could use rest as well and Coquelin could use the minutes but I'd fear production drop off if Arteta, Cazorla, and Gervihno are all absent.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Doubt that Cazorla will be rested. Not for the 1st CL match of the season at least. Arsène knows that this is a winnable match but it won't be easy and having our number one creator and tormentor-in-chief is vital for our continued fluidity and hopes of scoring. Maybe he & Podolski can get a breather after 70 mins if we are cruising.

What the front 3 will look like is anyone's guess but at least we have viable options all along the front line.

Hope to see our defense be as stingy as they have been so far this season and of course hoping that Giroud scores.

G0D

Almighty
Giroud really needs to start this one as we simply cannot afford to put all our eggs into one basket with the CF position and rely on Gervinho there after only one game. Hopefully Giroud can finally get off the mark and kick on giving us viable options upfront.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
I'd rest Verms for this one, who has, in contrast to Merte, played each of his country's games in the WC qualifiers. Santos to come in for Gibbs, and Diaby in for Arteta, Coque drops back into Arteta's position. Cazorla should stay in the team but come off soon in the second half, for Ramsey.

Up front I'd like to see Giroud again, and maybe Theo in place of Ox. Gervinho should start again on the other side. Dont like the Theo/Gervinho combo, but I guess it's worth a try this time, since Montpellier haven't started well into their season and we're pretty much flying at the moment.

-------Szczesny-------
Jenks-Merte-Kos-Santos
---Diaby---Coque-----
------Cazorla----------
Theo----Giroud----Gerv-

A win would be the best possible preperation for the City tie, so if worse comes to worse during the game, we still have a high quality bench to look at.

pikey2000

My go:

Santos in for Chamberlain
Ramsey in for Coquelin
Giroud in for Podolski
Kos in for Merte

------Szcesney-------
Jenks-Kos-Verms-Gibbs
-----Arteta----------
---------Ramsey------
-------Cazorla-------
Gervinho-------Santos
--------Giroud-------

Don't think we are going to sweep montpellier aside Southampton style but there is def enough quality there to win.

TheArsenalis

I think wenger will make some changes for this one. so im expecting maybe a disjointed performance tommarow, im kinda iffy about this one but not because of montpellier's quality its more to do with our boys being over confident and end up taking them likely.
__________sczcney
Jenks__kosc__vermz__santos
_______diaby_arteta
_walcott__cazola__podolski
_________giroud

Maybe ramsey too get a start.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
If this "bib theory" is correct, then Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Santos, Arteta, Diaby and Ramsey will all be starting. They all wore yellow bibs in training.

leo_ense

Established Member
ferrarif50hunt said:
If this "bib theory" is correct, then Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Santos, Arteta, Diaby and Ramsey will all be starting. They all wore yellow bibs in training.

Think the bib theory might be off on this one. One of the pics has Vermaelen, Cazorla and Podolski in green bibs. Unless Wenger is doing some serious rotation and resting but that would go against what he said on Saturday.

Floating

Established Member
AFCAMDEN on Szczesny's injury:

Szczesny out of Montpellier game
Wojciech Szczesny is out of the Champions League tie with Montpellier game with an ankle injury. He picked it up in the warm up before the game, and aggravated it when landing after dropping the ball for Southampton's goal. There was some doubt about whether Szczesny would finish the match, with Vito Mannone warming up and physio Coling Lewin checking up on the Pole midway through the second half; however, he managed to complete the 90 minutes.

After dropping a clanger and having an all round poor performance, it would've been the easy option for him to come off. It's a credit to his character that he remained on the pitch although it seems that by staying on, he may have caused further damage which has subsequently ruled him out of the Champions League tie.

Vito Mannone will take the gloves with James Shea on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Top Bottom