• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Van Parsie and Reyes

Gregwin04

do you all think that one of these will eventually take the place of pires? this and and next season they will both play on the left and up front but will one of them eventally become our number 1 left winger?

oh and if not who?

deeplennon

A). It's van pErsie, and does he have the chops to replace Pires? It's definitely going to take at least 10 EPL appearances before we can even guess.

B). Reyes: count on Reyes being upfront the majority of his career at Arsenal.

C). Gael Clichy: don't count him out as a possible heir apparent if (as is probably likely) he can't break Ashley's lock on left back.

D). Bobby looks like he's got at least 2 more years left of top quality football.. so don't worry about it. . yet.

Mark

Established Member
Welcome to the forum deeplennon.

I was thinking about this subject the other day actually. I was wondering if the two could really be played at the same time, I thought they were too similar, but then I thought they could both be given free roles by Wenger who would get an understanding going between them to switch around from left midfield to upfront when necessary. If they could pull that off it would work very nicely and really confuse defenders. It seems like a Wengerball kind of thing to do. Our game is all about movement and our players rarely stay in the positions they start in.

For the moment I would definetly say Reyes looks better as a striker. I haven't seen enough of Van Persie, but I don't think he is a LM. He looks like a Bergkamp type of player. The two could probably play quite well upfront together now that I think about it.

A

Anonymous

A). It's van pErsie, and does he have the chops to replace Pires? It's definitely going to take at least 10 EPL appearances before we can even guess.

C). Gael Clichy: don't count him out as a possible heir apparent if (as is probably likely) he can't break Ashley's lock on left back.

D). Bobby looks like he's got at least 2 more years left of top quality football.. so don't worry about it. . yet.
What you say is true, BUT, reyes was played at left mid for the final 5 games of last years season, so maybe wenger had already seen van persie and figured reyes will be moulded onto the left and RVP to replace bergy, because, after all he has been related to bergkamp in his style of play. I think both players will switch around until we find who should play where, initially i would of said reyes would move to the left, 1. because he played there towards the end of season, 2. because RVP apparently doesnt like left mid and 3. because RVP is meant to be the next bergkamp.
But i am not totally convinced as i think neither will wenger be as reyes i feel will be more prolific than RVP, but then again RVP has scored a few already. Guess we will just have to wait and see eh!

A

Anonymous

Its just great the versatility our squad now has = toure can play anywhere, freddie can play anywhere in midfield and up front, RVP left mid or upfront, reyes upfront or left mid, pires left or right mid, clichy left back or left mid. Having this type of veratility means we need less squad players thus why our small squad is so good. Im not sure who will regularly play left mid or upfront out of reyes and van persie, maybe neither of them, because at the end of the day we can only speculate. But i think they will keep switching till they find their perfect position and then even after that if one of them is off form then they can switch and move around etc.
I think pires has at least 3 more years of top football minimum, he is only just getting back to his best so we can expect him to keep going for a good while longer. I think the change of the guard will happen gradually because within the next 3 years we will of had to replace keown, parlour, jens, lauren, cygan, pires, bergy, vieira and maybe even freddie. Some of these players will have left, retired or become too old to play a regular part in the team (thinking of pires). So without a doubt alot of players have to be replaced within 3-4 years, i think players like van persie, reyes, cesc, senderos, hoyte, bentley. pennant will be a huge part in this as they will be gradually deveploped into positions.
At the end of the day arsenal is going through a transition period and it is very exciting, whatever happens i am sure the players will be replaced by equals who will keep our team top quality. Lets hope our current stars stay as long as possible whilst our young lads continue to develop into future world beaters.

WE ARE ARSENAL

KingReyes

Established Member
theguvnor said:

What you say is true, BUT, reyes was played at left mid for the final 5 games of last years season, so maybe wenger had already seen van persie and figured reyes will be moulded onto the left and RVP to replace bergy,

Guv, are you sure? A far as I know after we won the league, Reyes played the remaining games as a striker. Can anyone else confirm where he played as I am pretty sure it was as a striker.

deeplennon

@ Tottenham : Subbed in for Bergkamp 80th
Birmingham City : Reyes started on the right
@ Portsmouth : Reyes started up front
@ Fulham : Reyes started up front, went out for Alidiere in 71st minute.
Leicester : Subbed in for Bergkamp 82nd

So 4 out of the 5 games he played up front, and one on the right.

We'll see about RVP, he may not fit into Wenger's plans much at all -this- year. But if you look at who we have right now you'd probably figure he's our 4th or 5th striker with Aliadiere. When Bobby takes a breather this year I wouldn't be surprised to see what Wenger did at the end of last season and put Freddie in on the left.. and then maybe drop Pennant or Reyes in on the right.

KingReyes

Established Member
deeplennon said:
@ Tottenham : Subbed in for Bergkamp 80th
Birmingham City : Reyes started on the right
@ Portsmouth : Reyes started up front
@ Fulham : Reyes started up front, went out for Alidiere in 71st minute.
Leicester : Subbed in for Bergkamp 82nd

So 4 out of the 5 games he played up front, and one on the right.

We'll see about RVP, he may not fit into Wenger's plans much at all -this- year. But if you look at who we have right now you'd probably figure he's our 4th or 5th striker with Aliadiere. When Bobby takes a breather this year I wouldn't be surprised to see what Wenger did at the end of last season and put Freddie in on the left.. and then maybe drop Pennant or Reyes in on the right.

Actually DP, I'll take a bet and say it was Begkamp that started on the right and Reyes up front against Birmigham. So possibly 5 out of 5 up front.

lewdikris

Established Member
Yup - Bergy was on the right.

The value of having all these adaptable young players is that we don't need to worry where they're best - they'll kind of fall into their positions as they grow into the team.

quattro

smells a little bit like total football

and our wing backs aren't bad in attacking either ;D

A

Anonymous

I could of sworn reyes spent alot of time out there in the last few games. I know for a FACT he spent a good 40 minutes out on the left against pompey and and against brum. Im probably mistaken about him playing on the left but i do know he moved out there a number of times towards the close season. I still rekon he will be the better bet for striker anyway.

KingReyes

Established Member
theguvnor said:
I could of sworn reyes spent alot of time out there in the last few games. I know for a FACT he spent a good 40 minutes out on the left against pompey and and against brum. Im probably mistaken about him playing on the left but i do know he moved out there a number of times towards the close season. I still rekon he will be the better bet for striker anyway.

There is no doubt that Reyes will shift to the left at times. Its part of his game just like its part of Henry's game. These kind of players tend to shift to the left or in other cases right to get the ball and then work there way in. Thats why we are so lucky to have these kind of strikers because they do more than just wait in the box for the ball like a certain RVN.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If Pires is injured/suspended or in need of a rest then i'm absoloutly positive Reyes would be his replacement - with Bergy or Persie takiing his place upfront.

When bobby is fit, however, Reyes will probarly be playing alongside Henry - If i remember correctly, when we signed him, Wenger did say that Reyes will play as a striker

With that said - things can always change and Arsène will try out different things.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom