• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger has to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
jgunner84 said:
No offence but I just want to see Arsenal dominate the league for a few years before I die :lol: .

Manchester united and Chelsea can do it then why can't we? I just want to see the team winning back to back titles.

I do agree with the above post but the board is definitely not unhappy with Wenger. He has done the best bit of business for the club so why should they be disappointed with him?

I also think Wenger should be more ambitious. This is why Arsenal have not been able to win back to back titles in recent years. After one league trophy we relax and become complacent. That is not correct.
Me and you both, all I am saying is that when it comes to business people have short memories.

:lol:

Irony=delicious.
I'm not in debt for millions of pounds :roll:

So what?

Do you really believe the club were stupid enough to get into a debt we couldn't cope with if we go a few years without a trophy?
Sit on the board do you :lol:

sesquioxide

Here, for all those of you who demand that we win trophies every year and worry if we don't win something next season, if Wenger does not manage to win a trophy next season will you throw away your Arsenal shirts for Chelsea or Manchester United ones? And please be honest, there's no shame in rooting for "winners". It would just be interesting to know who exactly are the fans that Wenger will lose if he "fails" next season.

Sammer

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
Some experiments can not be stopped half-way. You have to go the full course. There is no way wenger or the board can make a u-turn on the go youth policy. You kids just have to f* learn to live with that reality.Just pray our kids on the field mature fast.and signs are they are. Look at Denilson..from carling cup to leagu game to CL. and he was brilliant. I am 100% sure we can compete for all4 titles next year. Had we (i know its a big HAD) gone through to the1/4 the CL would have been there for the taking. Whats missing is not much. It does require buying new players or tweaking our game. It requires polishing our FINISHING.

Spot on. Furthermore, we do not have the funds to just go on premium-european shopping tour.

Signs are great and we, as fans, will have to live with drawbacks.

The basis of our game is right, we probably need to work on our medical deparment more than on anything else. With a relatively steady squad, we will improve vastly.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

sesquioxide said:
Here, for all those of you who demand that we win trophies every year and worry if we don't win something next season, if Wenger does not manage to win a trophy next season will you throw away your Arsenal shirts for Chelsea or Manchester United ones? And please be honest, there's no shame in rooting for "winners". It would just be interesting to know who exactly are the fans that Wenger will lose if he "fails" next season.
True, that will be interesting, I think you are right and some people do demand Trophies every year, I would like us to win a few however, I am not going to open a vain if we don't I have seen the negatives football we have played and the beautiful football, I will support Arsenal win or loose. :D

otfgoon

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I think both sides may be throwing the baby out of the bathwater here.

I'm not sure anyone's suggesting sacking Wenger (are they?) - just pointing out that he's got quite a challenging job to do at the moment (which I'm sure Arsène himself recognises).

The challenge started right after we lost our unbeaten run, and considering the financial constraints we've had he's done brillaintly to rebuild an entire squad.

To say he has to 'step up' is incredibly unfair as it implies he's not been done it in the last couple of seasons.

sesquioxide

1970*Gooner said:
sesquioxide said:
True, that will be interesting, I think you are right and some people do demand Trophies every year, I would like us to win a few however, I am not going to open a vain if we don't I have seen the negatives football we have played and the beautiful football, I will support Arsenal win or loose. :D
That's good to hear from you, 1970*Gooner, and judging by your nickname I would suppose you have to have gone through some pretty bad times for Arsenal. May you never have to see those days again. :D

1970*Gooner

Established Member

sesquioxide said:
1970*Gooner said:
sesquioxide said:
That's good to hear from you, 1970*Gooner, and judging by your nickname I would suppose you have to have gone through some pretty bad times for Arsenal. May you never have to see those days again. :D
Amen to that Bro cos I have seen some sh1te I always think we can win, its what keeps me going, I always think the next game will be different if you cant believe might as well take up stamp collecting. :lol:

DC Gunner

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I'm not speaking personally, but I do wonder how attendances for the remainder of the season might be affected now that we're not really challenging for anything, and our league position (3rd or 4th, not much difference apart from pride) is pretty much assured.

I don't know, I think wins will start to be less tasty when you pretty much are just playing for a CL spot

My perspective [and I am not the spoiled fan here]:
1-Undefeated title run one season,
2-Second place with an F.A Cup win, then
3-Losing CL final, just fighting for a CL spot.
4-Just fighting for a CL spot.

I love our youth but they need to have experienced teammates to show them the ropes.

I think Henry "who would be 30 by next season" should definitely be relegated to a super sub [maybe a little more than Solskjær and Henrik Larsson have become] until he either back in form or is highly motivated, I love him and I don't want him to have few bad games in row to affect his image.

We definitely need scoring Options to support RVP, use him as our primary scoring threat from now on.

I also think Gilberto should be a higher option in the CB preference than Senderos, that would give Denilson/diaby more playing time in midfield.

Yes, I know I am not Wenger, but I really want him to solve this, we have so many good players to be not winning anything.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

DC Gunner said:
asajoseph said:
I'm not speaking personally, but I do wonder how attendances for the remainder of the season might be affected now that we're not really challenging for anything, and our league position (3rd or 4th, not much difference apart from pride) is pretty much assured.

I don't know, I think wins will start to be less tasty when you pretty much are just playing for a CL spot

My perspective [and I am not the spoiled fan here]:
1-Undefeated title run one season,
2- Second place the following with an F.A Cup, fighting for a fourth and CL spot, then
3- just fighting for a CL spot.

I love our youth but they need to have experienced teammates to show them the ropes.

I think Henry "who would be 30 by next season" should definitely be relegated to a super sub [maybe a little more than Solskjær and Henrik Larsson have become] until he either back in form or is highly motivated, I love him and I don't want him to have few bad games in row to affect his image.

We definitely need scoring Options to support RVP, use him as our primary scoring threat from now on.

I also think Gilberto should be a higher option in the CB preference than Senderos, that would give Denilson/diaby more playing time in midfield.

Yes, I know I am not Wenger, but I really want him to solve this, we have so many good players to be not winning anything.
Very true my friend, I just hope Le Boss sorts out whatever needs sorting and we get back to our winning ways. :D

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
jgunner84 said:
No offence but I just want to see Arsenal dominate the league for a few years before I die :lol: .

Manchester united and Chelsea can do it then why can't we? I just want to see the team winning back to back titles.
Don't we all? It kind of sums up the generally unrealistic expectation Arsenal fans have these days though. It hasn't happened since the thirties, yet Wenger still gets a lot of criticism for not delivering it. It's not an easy thing to do; that Wenger has managed to win 3 league titles thus far is a great achievement in itself.

qs

Established Member
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
jgunner84 said:

I do agree with the above post but the board is definitely not unhappy with Wenger. He has done the best bit of business for the club so why should they be disappointed with him?

I also think Wenger should be more ambitious. This is why Arsenal have not been able to win back to back titles in recent years. After one league trophy we relax and become complacent. That is not correct.
Me and you both, all I am saying is that when it comes to business people have short memories.

Irony=delicious.

So what?

Do you really believe the club were stupid enough to get into a debt we couldn't cope with if we go a few years without a trophy?

Nice argument. I can see I'm wasting my time trying to have a discussion with a child.

otfgoon

Established Member
kaids said:
jgunner84 said:

Don't we all? It kind of sums up the generally unrealistic expectation Arsenal fans have these days though. It hasn't happened since the thirties, yet Wenger still gets a lot of criticism for not delivering it. It's not an easy thing to do; that Wenger has managed to win 3 league titles thus far is a great achievement in itself.

Such a simplistic argument as well, "man utd and Chelsea are doing it why cant we" /o\

1970*Gooner

Established Member

qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
jgunner84 said:

Irony=delicious.

So what?

Nice argument. I can see I'm wasting my time trying to have a discussion with a child.
mmmmmmm huffy puffy this is football not War and Peace. :lol:

qs

Established Member
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
jgunner84 said:

Irony=delicious.

So what?

Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
qs said:
1970*Gooner said:
jgunner84 said:

Irony=delicious.

So what?

Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.
You need to get out in the fresh air a bit more, it's only a game ffs there are more important things in life that football (without sounding patronising) when you get older you will realise that, I am I have been a Gooner since 1970 and I will always be one but I am not going to burst a blood vessle if we don't win Jack. :lol:

qs

Established Member
You're alive since the 70s? Really. That's shocking. Do you act like a 14 year old in real life too or is it jsut for kicks on the internet.

Oh and BTW that was a quote I posted, originally said by Bill Shankly, you can use Wikipedia to find out who he is. ;)

Now I'm finished discussing this with you because I come here to talk about football, not waste my time with people who make pointless one line posts because they've nothing meaningful to say.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

qs said:
You're alive since the 70s? Really. That's shocking. Do you act like a 14 year old in real life too or is it jsut for kicks on the internet.

Oh and BTW that was a quote I posted, originally said by Bill Shankly, you can use Wikipedia to find out who he is. ;)

Now I'm finished discussing this with you because I come here to talk about football, not waste my time with people who make pointless one line posts because they've nothing meaningful to say.
You are a sad little girl aren't you, never mind one day you might understand what life is about, until then just keep up with your petty remarks, muppet. :lol:

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I agree this part.
Alfonso said:
His beautiful football approach has flaws as well. And i feel it needs to be tinkered slighty, if we are going to be legitmate challengers next season. The bottom line is that this new version of Wengerball needs end product. Im not saying go back to George Graham football, but we need a serious re-think about the way we play football. He also has to tell the players to close down more. It is no suprise most teams score against us via a special goal. It is because we dont close down enough.

Also, we must change our training methods, as it is clear we are getting too many injuries, and over the past two years this has hindered us greatly. We must also learn once and for all to take set pieces.
Every tactic has its flaws and advantages. Koeman's approach may not be appealling but nonethelss very effective. Wenger's football method is attractive but at some crucial moments things just go wrong. Being clinical has been our weakness which cost us on Wednsday night. I read a few posts in other threads where a question was raised 'if Maureen, Rafa, or Fergie were in Arsène's place, will they win the game given the available personell'. Unfortunately I think the answer is 'yes'. Not because chelski's or Liverpool's squad depth, but simply with the finishing in front of the goal, also not to mention set-pieces, which have been our major weakness. Whenever I come to this, it pains me because I do admire Arsène greatly and his football ideas.

I for one, do not believe Arsenal really treat set-pieces seriously. If they do work hard on that aspect, the team would have conceded fewer and scored more. The simple fact is if you work hard on one aspect, you will reap the results. The so-called lesser teams get points from us in this manner and they work hard on this. I don't believe there's any contradiciton between bueatiful football and pragmatism. If there is, then it could only be a time issue. I know Wenger control the training session very precisely down to seconds, but what hard would it does by asking the team to practice set-pieces in overtime? This is not a one-on-one private coaching, set-pieces practice is a collective effort. Only by coach/mamanger's demand players will start to drill in it.

Alfonso said:
The 2007/2008 is Wenger's biggest season at Arsenal. The next year next year BS stops now. And he has to be accounable for their actions. No more future this, potential that. We HAVE to win a trophy next season. So that at least it shows a)Were heading in the right direction b)Keeps the players happy and motivated, and to reasure them that they are in the right club.
This season the team lost too many points at our lovely new home. Now a season has only two months, the players sould have been comfortable with it. So please, please use the full width of the pitch when attacking and be decisive to finish chances. I expect the team to finish as close as to the second place and in bid to challenge league title and trophies next season.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Tony Montana said:
All right, just agree to disagree 1970 Gooner and Qs.
True Life is too short :lol: There is one thing we agree on ......Arsenal are the bizzo :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom