• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger

Gooner83

I think Wenger is the most intelligent man in football, he never makes a rash decision, never signs useless players for big bucks like Houllier and he always finds a gem somewhere for 1-2M :)

Even Fergusion spends some useless money, like 30M for Ferdinand.. no defender is worth more than 10M.

JazzG

Established Member
Sorry mate I don't agree with all of your points

Gooner83 said:
I think Wenger is the most intelligent man in football, he never makes a rash decision, never signs useless players for big bucks like Houllier and he always finds a gem somewhere for 1-2M :)
Your right he doesn't make rash decisions He has wasted money on Gio, Wiltord + Jeffers. Over £20mill has been spent on those 3!

Gooner83 said:
Even Fergusion spends some useless money, like 30M for Ferdinand.. no defender is worth more than 10M.

Rio is worth around £15mill tops. Someone like Nesta is worth over £20mill.

Mark

Established Member
i don't believe wiltord was a waste of money, up till now he's been one of our top players, he worked well with all our players and with wengerball and he's chipped in with a lot of goals and assists and was consistantly brilliant in our double season.

JazzG

Established Member
In our double season he was very good.

Last season for about 2 months he was very good. Then suddenly became rubbish for most of the season! A shame really, had the talent but just not the desire..........

patrick42uk

Established Member
disagree about wiltord as well, apart from this season he has always been the most likely of our strikers to hit 15 goals, which isnt bad for a second striker.

wiltord11

JazzG said:
In our double season he was very good.

Last season for about 2 months he was very good. Then suddenly became rubbish for most of the season! A shame really, had the talent but just not the desire..........

but be fair to wiltord he is a striker and he has been played out wide even though i think he looks good coming from deep and can link up well with are team you can't expect him to score 15 + goals coming wide positons

but when he plays striker he does score alot of goals like the beggining of this season and then when bergkamp came back wiltord goes on the bench

and lets not forget if wiltord didnt put that cross in against dynamo kiev we might not of gone through to the knock out stages

also i think hes a great finnisher look at the fa cup games against man u and chelsea two great finnishes especially the chelsea one

i think he was a goiod buy by wenger

JazzG

Established Member
Wiltord cost us £13mill player, I bet I can name you 5 players who cost around that much and have done much better.

Never said he wasn't a good player, at £13mill we got a raw deal whether you like to admit it or not imo. This is why Wenger is not offering him a good contract.

PolishGooner

Gooner83 said:

What are you talking about? Cygan 3M, Gilberto 8M, Shaaban 1M, Edu 9M, Jeffers and Gio both 14M, Wright 8,5M, Inamoto 5,5M, Tavlaridis almost 1M, Wiltord 19M, Stepanovs 1,5M, Svard 700K, Tomas Danilevicius 1,3 M, Kaba Diawara 4M, Malz 1M, Suker 6M, Vivas 3M

He spent milions for useless players or players who werent worth that money (ie Wiltord)

JazzG

Established Member
Are those figures in Euros or dollars. If they are in pounds than they are wrong.........

patrick42uk

Established Member
i think the nature of his transfer signings carries a greater risk than say man utd. man utd can go out and spend 20 odd million on a top class player with an established reputation as well as ability. in spending little on a large number of players, faiulure by some wil not be as much of a loss as failure by one signing worth over 20 million e.g. veron. Also, spending small amounts on a large number of players increases the chance that a couple would be good signings. Its all about risk management really.

Mark

Established Member
I just think that when he was playing at his best he was worth every penny and I doubt we would have sold him for any less than £13 million. I dont think he was a waste and I'm really upset about what's happened to him this season.

dynasty

the thing is when wenger buys we expect top class straight ahead..and wasnt his transfer more of 11 mill than 13?? i think if it was not wenger wiltord would be just ryt price..didnt get jipped but didnt get a bargain..
about wenger wasting money..
he spends an average of 4 mill a year..need i say more??

Mark

Established Member
yeah wenger makes up for it with some of the bargains he's got for players. vieira, overmars, anelka, toure to name a few. not as bad as fungusson spending something like £28million on veron and then selling him to a rival for a lot less.

Andrew

Stuff the facts and figures... just look at what Wenger has done for the club. He's turned us into regular title contenders. We are challenging Manu all the way now which is something clubs in the past have failed to do.

And Jeffers has been the only signing we have spent far too much on. But you have to remember he had been injured a lot of the time so maybe we never saw the best of him...

And I really can't believe it when people say that Cygan cost to much and blah blah blah. He cost 2 million pounds! What do you expect? For me, he exceeds that 2 million price tag.

And lots of players listed there were bought for less than 1 million. So what's the problem there? You can't expect them all to turn into stars. They were more bought to add depth to the team.

Wenger's done great to really set us apart from the rest. If it wasn't for him I doubt the new stadium would be possible... so thanks to Wenger he's asserted us as a real dominant force in English football and with our new stadium we should be able to remain there, and perhaps push for European glory.

A

Anonymous

>> Your right he doesn't make rash decisions He has wasted money on Gio, Wiltord + Jeffers. Over £20mill has been spent on those 3!

JazzG knows very little about Arsenal.

You have no idea. Jeffers and Wright were the choice of people at the club who insisted we buy English players.

Wiltord is not as bad as you think. 50 goals in 100 matches, most of that playing as a midfielder. you were complaining?

and we would never would have bought Gio and Jeffers if Vieria had not thrown his toys out of his pram, and insisted we bought someone.

What do you expect Wenger to have, a perfect record?

YOU UNGRATEFUL WRETCH.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom