• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's best and worst signings

JazzG

Established Member
Suprised Pires didn't make the list. I'd rate Vieira as our No.1 as he cost less and has than Henry been doing well for us longer than Henry (who was obviously signed later on)

Wiltord did ok, not worth the £13mill price tag but still did his bit for the club. Probably should of paid like 7mill for him.

Wright - No comment :eek:ops:

We didn't pay 10mill for Jeffers and didn't pay Rangers 8.5mill, those figures were the max we would pay for them if all conditions were met.

Silva is finally finding his feet as well at the club, has done ok in the last few games.

Outgoing fees: £102.4m
Incoming fees: £84.5m
Net outlay: £17.9m

Gotta love that part, so on average Wenger has spent £2.55mill a year on players. No manager could ever match that and bring in the success we have had :)

mood

Gilberto was not a bad buy. He was amazing when we first got him.. just became a little disappointing later on. But he's ok, he's not all bad.

patrick42uk

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
Its strange how most of Wenger's worst signings were in 2000.[/quot

isnt it ironic that supposedly after our worst signings in 01/02 (i.e jeffers, GVB, wright inamoto e.t.c), we won the double. i think therefore those transfers had the desired effect, i.e. increasing competition and the level of the players.

Sol man

Wright was not a bad buy. He could have made it here but he did not want to wait for his chance

EJub

That article is poor. As shallow as it is inaccurate. Wiltord is the worst signing?

reggiepaul

I don't agree with Gilberto, Gio and disregarding the price, Wiltord as well. Granted we paid a little too much for Wiltord but he has been a major fixture throughout his career at Arsenal. The papers just want too much - they can't all be goal scoring superheroes when they play in midfield.

Jeffers agreeable, worst buy but apparently most of this price was based upon performance and we all know there was little of that :mrgreen: .

Richard Wright was ok but it was really seeking the Seaman successor and he was also hit with being the defender caught up when the likes of Bould and Dixon were disappearing.

thegame24

Established Member
FOR GODS SAKE

why am i the only one that sees how good robert pires is???

he is so damn under rated its unbelievable, he was a far better buy than freddie ljungberg.

and wiltord worst??? he won us the bloody FA cup in 2002 and he scored many important goals in the championship.

reggiepaul

Robert Pires is bloody awesome. I can't think of another left winger we'd rather have. He just seems to fit the bill and then some.

thegame24

Established Member
if pires left i would only except ronaldinho as replacement, maybe nedved but hes same age as pires.

Pires is just as important as henry.

mood

Wiltord scored the only goal to win us the championship against Man Utd in 2002. He scored a hat-trick against United to get us through the FA Cup. Wiltord has done alot.. alot! He's been on fire almost every season except the current one. Pires is arguaby one of the best signings, I don't know why he's not on that list!

Alexone234

We have to put the Wiltord transfer in perspective though.
Wiltord was a top French international, highly regarded in France and in Europe. He had bagged a number of goals at all levels and generally looked like a decent player.
At the same time the market was quite boyant, with big money being spent all over the place. £13m for a top international striker seemed like good moeny. Since his arrival he has scored about 15 goals per season. Only Pires, Henry, and Freddie score more per season. His quick feet and persistance made Coco Bartez parry a well struck shot into the path of an on coming Freddie, who scored the goal that lifted the title for us AT Old Trafford, a day I know I'll never forget. Our worst signings up until Sol have been at the CB position. Not because of the money to value ration, but because of the damage done in these positions. Stephanovs and Luzny were so harmful to our title attempts in recent years.

Also in that list Giles Grimandi should appear. He was a great utility player, solid, verstile and he punched Simeone in the face too.

AFCG7

Established Member
I found this most interesting

"Since his appointment in 1996, Arsène Wenger has overseen 55 player transactions:
Outgoing fees: £102.4m
Incoming fees: £84.5m
Net outlay: £17.9m
"

it doesnt look too bad to me

Gooner83

Wiltord - was a good buy, his workrate is very high but i thought he played best as a right winger, because hes not a goal machine, and seems to be a confidence player.

Gilberto - Excellent buy, works his socks off, gets forward and scores some goals, doesn't get many bookings. I think we would be a little empty in the middle if it wasn't for him with Viera.

Jeffers - Seemed like a good buy at the beginning, young - good goalscorer and very good in the box. Unfortunately his form took a massive dip i would blame not playing regularly (50%), the up in class (50%)

Cygan - I think hes excellent at the basics.. stopping, tackling, decisions.. but its his very poor pace that shows him up all the time, not an ideal player for our fast league.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Wiltord didn't cost anything like £13mil for a start. And he was vital in the 01/02 double so how the hell anyone can call that a failure.

Gilberto is one of our most important players (in fact an easy way to see if someone understands anything about how we play is if they can see how important Poly is to our game plan).

Jeffers had a fantastic goals/game ratio in a poor side before he signed, and if it hadn't been for the muppets at Everton treating him for the wrong injury for so long he wouldn't have missed his first season at Highbury and could have played a massive part. And, again, his fee was nothing like what I've seen quoted for him. In total we've only paid about 4mil for him!

Basically, just another case of a lazy journo writing a crap story to fill space.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom