• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is your preferred CB pairing?

Which two CBs would you prefer partnered up in defence? (2 votes)

• Total voters

MikeVinna

Established Member
I voted Chambers and Sokratis because there was no reason to break that up for Luiz who didn’t even have to fight for his spot.

We don’t know how Holding will come back so I didn’t consider him yet.

Impact

Established Member
What we lack is s leftfooted cb:(

Not necessarily. It's become a bit of a hipster trend but for me, it's just a nice to have. Think about it, how many of the best PL CB pairings in the last 10/15 years have comprised a right/left footed partnership?

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

If Holding can recapture his form from last season he should definitely play. Sokratis and Luiz are at pretty much the same level I think. Luiz gets the nod as he is a better footballer and picks up less cards too.

Iceman10

Established Member
If Holding can recapture his form from last season he should definitely play. Sokratis and Luiz are at pretty much the same level I think. Luiz gets the nod as he is a better footballer and picks up less cards too.

If there is not much between Sokratis and Luiz it would be tempting to try Luiz in the Xhaka position if Guendouzi is not ready to do it himself. Maybe Guendouzi is ready, but he's been given much more free license than a typical #6, so it is hard to tell.

Iceman10

Established Member
If there is not much between Sokratis and Luiz it would be tempting to try Luiz in the Xhaka position if Guendouzi is not ready to do it himself. Maybe Guendouzi is ready, but he's been given much more free license than a typical #6, so it is hard to tell.

... the other option is with Luiz and Holding as decent ball carriers out of defence the need for a direct Xhaka replacement in CM may well be less. Xhaka is a kind of holding midfielder / DLP all-in-one, although he does neither particularly well.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
He had more interceptions than Xhaka. One lead to the first goal. Would rather give him the chance. At least he can drive the ball forward.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
I’m Team Holdini. He’s shown he can be a reliable starting CB, if not for a full season. And yes it’s a ton of pressure to put on a young guy coming back from a major injury.

But I buy the argument I’ve seen on here that Luiz and Sokratis are both aggressive defenders and will benefit from a more cerebral, conservative partner. I think Holding can do it. Come on FA Cup Winner Holdini! We need you! I’m going with him and Luiz.

Underhill

How good is Holdings passing game compared to Luiz? While im not happy with the mistakes Luiz made so far, his passing game is amazing and something i have been missing. It is basically the only reason to put Xhaka on the pitch.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
How good is Holdings passing game compared to Luiz? While im not happy with the mistakes Luiz made so far, his passing game is amazing and something i have been missing. It is basically the only reason to put Xhaka on the pitch.

Far from as good as Luiz` in my opinion but then very few defenders can match Luiz` passing and ability on the ball. But Holding is certainly not bad on the ball at all, can use both feet quite well too.

I like Holding a lot but he is being seriously over rated. People expecting him just to walk back into the side are not being very realistic.

balthazar

So we have tried Luiz and Sokratis and it is clearly not working. It think it is time to try the all English Holding-Chambers pairing. Have we actually every tired this? I can't remember it.

Wryer

Chambers-Holding deserves a shot. It doesn't look great on paper, but their form (obviously the pre-injury Holding) warrants a chance.

Add Tierney and Bellerin, and wow suddenly we have a new set of back 4. All English-native speaking. Why not?

Gunners21

you did not see the pre assist to bellarin?

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom