• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
You man really let OnlyOne sneak Rice into the Arsenal legends convo and you man wonder why there’s a hit squad out for him in his transfer thread.
I don't even try to ignore him because he's funny to read but I genuinely missed that part.

Like you're at a club and a midget is trying to chat you up.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

There's not a single Post-Highbury player who deserves to be called a legend. Cult hero? Yes. Legend? That's reserved for players who fundamentally changed us!!

And Xhaka's as much a legend as Senderos. These Swiss guys should just stick to churning out quality chocolate and fondue.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Nobody has answered if they consider all those big names from the 70’s as legends who’ve only won one fa cup for Arsenal and no league title. I forgot Liam Brady too.

Is Ian Wright a legend?
In the only season Wright won a league title for Arsenal he was a bit part player due to injuries. Most still consider him a legend. Also that season we won the league with 78 points, it was so easy. Do you think those teams win the title if they have to compete against this Man City side? Not a chance. Not even the invincibles would.

Aside from all the trophies and appearances Xhaka has won, he is a legend because he always put the team before himself. He didn’t seek glory and making things about him, it was always about the team and players like that do not get the recognition they deserve.

Without a doubt, he is a legend of this grand club.

This shows how clueless you absolutely are & that you're just another one of these bandwagon fans who worship players over supporting the club.

To provide proper context on how "easy" this title win (which remains my favorite as it was our first in the PL era and the first for me supporting the club) we were in 6th place in December. Dead & buried by anyone who had an inkling of what it was like to give United a considerable lead back then.

Yet the club soldiered on & Wright, a man who would die for the shirt more than your belove Xhaka ever would, was part of that amazing triumph!!

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

There's not a single Post-Highbury player who deserves to be called a legend. Cult hero? Yes. Legend? That's reserved for players who fundamentally changed us!!

What’s so annoying is that almost all of the other big 6 have had legends in that time span.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Is Ian Wright a legend?
In the only season Wright won a league title for Arsenal he was a bit part player due to injuries. Most still consider him a legend. Also that season we won the league with 78 points, it was so easy. Do you think those teams win the title if they have to compete against this Man City side? Not a chance. Not even the invincibles would.
Is that a serious question? Did you ever watch him play?

Not sure how Man City and today's football has any relevance to the 80s and 90s, different times, different football. You can't really take a number of points and equate that to easy/hard to win a title. It has no bearing on the times.

If the bloke that is 2nd in the Arsenal goalscorers table do not qualify, well the bar is set mighty high....

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Infuriating to say the least!! And I second your motion regarding Kolo, fantastic CB & one of the world's best on his day. Wenger should've made him captain instead of the Chelsea malcontent.

Can’t believe out of all those players we sold to rivals he was the one who actually wanted to stay.

He would have had almost a decade of top performances. Club messed up big time there.

BergMan

Leverkusen Ultra
Is that a serious question? Did you ever watch him play?

Not sure how Man City and today's football has any relevance to the 80s and 90s, different times, different football. You can't really take a number of points and equate that to easy/hard to win a title. It has no bearing on the times.

If the bloke that is 2nd in the Arsenal goalscorers table do not qualify, well the bar is set mighty high....

We currently have 81 points. We had a better season than 98 where we won the league with 78 points. Only reason we don’t win the league is because we have Man City to contend with. You can compare different eras and say a title is more difficult to achieve now than it used to be. Case in point see the WSL. We used to win it every single year but at that time there was no competition unlike now.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
[/QUOTE]
Unless you are part of a league winner and a big part you don’t qualify. So none of the Sanchez, Özil, Giroud, Ramsey generation. Also if you were a middling player but played on great teams it doesn’t count. I will say this there are a number of potential club legends on this team. Saka, Saliba, Gabriel, Martinelli, and Ode all would of been legends or near legends if our manager didn’t cr.p his shorts again
I'd say if you grow an amazing head of hair like Roberto Holdini you should be a shoe in for club legend😜

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
My bet on who is going to be the next legend is not Saka, it's whoever gets Arteta out of here. Naturally for our current entire squad, that ship already sailed.

It will be someone with enough quality to get his way once he fights with the manager and the board that supports him, and with the spine and spirit required to become one of our greats, doing his best to restore the values of our club Arteta trampled this season. This is something quite a bit more important than merely winning a trophy.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I think you need at least half a decade of top form at a club to be considered a legend. So that's 5 very good seasons..

It also helps if you are very talented footballer & not just some journeyman.

That's why I would still consider Cesc.

Arguably best player of the Emirates era imo.

People like Mesut,Alexis,Auba were top at times but never had enough good seasons here. RVP the same & although he may have been at the club longer was it has to be said not that great when he 1st arrived.

Unfortunately injured a lot so only had 2 or maybe 3 really good seasons.

Give me 5 good seasons & we can start to talk.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

One player, that some would hold as an Arsenal legend, went steeply down in my estimation when he took on the job as Leeds manager. David O'Leary was a deep disappointment in his behaviour as Leeds manager.

It is evident that many posters here are too young, or are somewhat demented or forgetful, on how deplorable Leeds were under O'Leary. It is a genuinely horrible club.

I rest my case: PIRES IN O'LEARY BUST-UP

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think you need at least half a decade of top form at a club to be considered a legend. So that's 5 very good seasons..

It also helps if you are very talented footballer & not just some journeyman.

That's why I would still consider Cesc.

Arguably best player of the Emirates era imo.

People like Mesut,Alexis,Auba were top at times but never had enough good seasons here. RVP the same & although he may have been at the club longer was it has to be said not that great when he 1st arrived.

Unfortunately injured a lot so only had 2 or maybe 3 really good seasons.

Give me 5 good seasons & we can start to talk.

How you leave the club is a key factor.

Absolutely no way you can have a club legend behaving like Cesc and RVP.

They made the choice to leave the legendary status on the shelf in return for trophies.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
My bet on who is going to be the next legend is not Saka, it's whoever gets Arteta out of here. Naturally for our current entire squad, that ship already sailed.

It will be someone with enough quality to get his way once he fights with the manager and the board that supports him, and with the spine and spirit required to become one of our greats, doing his best to restore the values of our club Arteta trampled this season, something quite a bit more important than merely winning a trophy.
You were rather quiet when we were doing well bro🤣.

Bet Ur super hyped we 'bottled' the league so you can regale us all once more with ur infinite nonsense👌👍🙄

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
How you leave the club is a key factor.

Absolutely no way you can have a club legend behaving like Cesc and RVP.

They made the choice to leave the legendary status on the shelf in return for trophies.
I kinda agree & it certainly leaves a bad taste.
However let's be honest they left because we weren't good enough to match their talent.
Top pros want to win & we were not even seriously competing let along winning big honours.

As somebody else said I'm sure Paddy or even Thierry would have left sooner if we weren't winning things.

They may have kicked up a stink also?

Ok I will accept the view that the way you leave plays a part.

But in a way the main factor that could deny them legendary status was simply the team not being good enough.
If the team was better & able to fulfil their ambitions it's a different convo

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 3

Marco Silva is pushing the Fulham board to spend as Arsenal prepare to listen to offers for Emile Smith Rowe, among other fringe players [Evening Standard]

New Fenerbache manager Jose Mourinho is determined to stop Arsenal from signing LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Top Bottom