• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why Arsenal FC have no interest in winning the Premiership

Like the rest of you reading this, I LOVE my team and want to see them win tons of silverware, especially the league title.

However, after several years of seeing the Gunners failing to win the big prize, I've come to the conclusion that the Arsenal board and the manager have absolutely zero interest in winning the league.

As much as we love our team and want to see the do well on the pitch, we have to remember that Arsenal FC PLC are a business first and foremost. And like all PLCs, they have shareholders, a board of directors, dividends, profit margins, financial targets etc.

Last year, Chelsea won the league and in total won £99 million in prize money. Man Utd finished 4th and collected £97 million in prize money. So the difference between winning the league and finishing fourth is just £2 million pounds! In football these days, £2 million is peanuts.

We all know that the Gunners need to purchase two or three more world class players to be serious contenders. This would cost around £100 million.

So from a business perspective, this would make no sense. Why spend £100 million just to win an extra £2 million?! Sticking with the level of players we have virtually guarantees us a top 4 finish and big money from entering the Champions League.

In addition to that, Arsenal as a business profit vastly from buying talented youngsters for next to nothing, developing them into world class players and selling them to big clubs who are prepared to spend top dollar for top players.

I don't think Arsenal fans will ever see the day when we look to buy top established players like Man City, Chelsea and even Liverpool.

It's all about the money and winning trophies doesn't bring in the cash. Finishing fourth and buying players for cheap and selling them for huge profit to our biggest rivals is where the money is. Not to mention TV money and gate receipts.

As fans, we're being short changed and it could be a mighty long time if ever before we see our team win the title again.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Like the rest of you reading this, I LOVE my team and want to see them win tons of silverware, especially the league title.

However, after several years of seeing the Gunners failing to win the big prize, I've come to the conclusion that the Arsenal board and the manager have absolutely zero interest in winning the league.

As much as we love our team and want to see the do well on the pitch, we have to remember that Arsenal FC PLC are a business first and foremost. And like all PLCs, they have shareholders, a board of directors, dividends, profit margins, financial targets etc.

Last year, Chelsea won the league and in total won £99 million in prize money. Man Utd finished 4th and collected £97 million in prize money. So the difference between winning the league and finishing fourth is just £2 million pounds! In football these days, £2 million is peanuts.

We all know that the Gunners need to purchase two or three more world class players to be serious contenders. This would cost around £100 million.

So from a business perspective, this would make no sense. Why spend £100 million just to win an extra £2 million?! Sticking with the level of players we have virtually guarantees us a top 4 finish and big money from entering the Champions League.

In addition to that, Arsenal as a business profit vastly from buying talented youngsters for next to nothing, developing them into world class players and selling them to big clubs who are prepared to spend top dollar for top players.

I don't think Arsenal fans will ever see the day when we look to buy top established players like Man City, Chelsea and even Liverpool.

It's all about the money and winning trophies doesn't bring in the cash. Finishing fourth and buying players for cheap and selling them for huge profit to our biggest rivals is where the money is. Not to mention TV money and gate receipts.

As fans, we're being short changed and it could be a mighty long time if ever before we see our team win the title again.

First para I have to pick you up on is this:

Özil, Alexis and Cech may disagree with this statement.

You are right, we are a business and that is not a negative. What is a negative is that we have a zero interest in football owner. The difference in money for winning the PL and coming 4th may be small but winning puts you in Pot 1 of the CL, that is worth far more than £2m especially with the new format. Being Champions is also good for sponsorship and attracting top players.

Maybe in terms of prize money yes, but that's only a small part of revenue. Competing for first (and often winning) increases revenue massively, be it through advertising revenue, merchandise and what not.

I think the difference in the increase in revenue between 1st and 4th is marginal and doesn't justify forking out £100 million plus on new players.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I think the difference in the increase in revenue between 1st and 4th is marginal and doesn't justify forking out £100 million plus on new players.
The difference is an one which cannot be quantified or simplified too financial rewards. It's much deeper and if you or others cannot see that you're in the wrong business. As it happens half or more of the board are.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom