• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
If there's one criticism I have of Özil, it's that I wish he was a bit more selfish. His self-effacing way of playing can be ineffective in a team where there isn't a strong structure in place. Sometimes have a shot, with conviction. He does this with his dribbling every now and then but that's it.

I think it is this that nets him the disproportionate amount of criticism he gets as a player. Becuase we grew up on goalscoring midfielders particularly in the English game, we look at attacking midfielders who don't score and dominate games while on the ball, a player like Özil seems a tame comparison (most of Özil's work is off the ball to a degree). I get that element, that's a relatively normal reaction. Özil is probably valued more in other countries than he ever has been in the PL while at Arsenal, despite last season having quite possibly his most productive season ever in terms of being a playmaker.

It has never really disturbed me, more amused me really because I rate him incredibly highly and while there are times he has disappointed me in an Arsenal shirt, last season I had very, very few complaints.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Myth. Proven myth. Giroud wasn't missing chances created by Özil every week. And Theo hardly played....
So you're saying Henry didn't have better players around him that Özil does? Ok then.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bergkamp was a creator of chances that even Per wouldn't miss, so I don't know. Bergkamp didn't just spam the the last 3rd of the pitch with passes.
you're talking about Özil, or Kevin de Bruyne/Alexis?

Özil doesnt waste passes, which is really a criticism, as he doesnt try more hit-and-hope passes. I'd love to see him just dink balls into the final third and hope Ramsey gets his bum on one of them.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
you're talking about Özil, or Kevin de Bruyne/Alexis?

Özil doesnt waste passes, which is really a criticism, as he doesnt try more hit-and-hope passes. I'd love to see him just dink balls into the final third and hope Ramsey gets his bum on one of them.
What Özil needs to stop being so passive when being one of the bigger players he needs to show some edge.

I think he will.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
This page is probably the worst on any football forum right now.

Bunch of sad acts trying to belittle an exquisite and supremely good footballer with guff like "well well dis players assists count more because it was a real assist, even though I'm remembering it through rose-tinted glasses cos it was a long time ago".

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This page is probably the worst on any football forum right now.

Bunch of sad acts trying to belittle an exquisite and supremely good footballer with guff like "well well dis players assists count more because it was a real assist, even though I'm remembering it through rose-tinted glasses cos it was a long time ago".
I don't see any of that. That's hyberbole. All I see is a civil discussion, before some bloke gets all bent out of shape and decides to insult people. :lol:

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Love your work but you're really pushing it to describe mesut's game like that...actually an insult to his level of quality imo.

I use the word 'spam' not in bad way. He makes an incredible amount of of passes in the last third; they're not useless passes--it's just that lots of them depend on someone else having the same quality as Özil himself, for the picture in his mind to be completed.

One could also argue that Bergkamp and Özil played in different systems. Bergkamp played in system that was much quicker in tranformation and more direct attacks while Özil is playing in boring possession based system.

Proof

Established Member
I rate Özil as the best attacking midfielder in the world but he's not even close to Dennis Bergkamp's creative abilities and link-up play. I we had him in our team, Giroud would average 35 goals per season.

Reactions: BBF

juice man

Can't make his mind up
I don't know, Bergkamp had much better players surrounding him. Not trying to say Özil is superior/inferior, but its just a really tough comparison to make given the relative levels of their teammates. I think you could probably argue it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady
Top Bottom