• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsdale: Toys Out Of The Pramsdale

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
It’s just dishonest to say we won because of him.

From 6 league games his made the same mistake twice against Brentford, and caught off his line twice. These aren’t occasional howlers.

It suggests teams are exploiting his weakness in the role.

Never mind the fact that were it not for his error we go in at HT leading and the second half is a completely different game.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

It wasn't just the error.

Within the first 20 minutes the difference between Raya and Ramsdale was astonishingly clear.

Ramsdale just kept kicking it long and forcing us to have to re-start build up. And we'd have to build up from the midfield and from out wide (White and Kiwior) instead of building through the middle.

For all the possession and all the sustained pressure we had, we would have had a complete vice grip on the game from the start if he just chose to not pass, hold it at his feet, or play it to one of the CBs on at least 10 occasions.

But no...

Long kick. Forcing us to have to win the 2nd ball once they cleared it.

I haven't seen Jorginho have to contest the ball in the middle so much in months. Jorginho rarely has to attempt duels because the ball is never in the middle of the park and in the air that much. But once Ramsdale kicks long, their defence heads it or kicks it to clear, the ball is in the air near the centre circle - the ping pong game commences.

Ball rolls back to Ramsdale...

Long kick. Repeat.

It was so frustrating to watch, and that was the starkest difference.

Not to mention the fact that, at least in the 7 prior games, teams haven't pressed us because none of our players are pressing triggers. We've been playing lineups where there isn't a single player on the pitch who gets the ball, and thats the signal for the opposition to press that player. Nobody to press means more periods of sustained possession, more possession means more pressure, more pressure means playing higher up the pitch. Thus, 31 goals in 7 games.

But it's not a coincidence that they sat off, jogged around and played it safe until Ramsdale got the ball, and that was the pressing trigger. Run at him. He'll fluff a pass or kick it long.

He isn't good enough, and its sad that this game so blatantly made it clear.

This was probably the 1st game of the season that felt like a game from last season. And it really was his fault. The mistake was just the icing on the cake.

I was one of the people who believed Raya was only an incremental upgrade and not worth the outlay. I thought the money would have been better spent in another potision. But I am happy to hold my hands up and say I wasn't just wrong I was dead wrong.

This is a good post, rather than some variation of Ramsdale suckkkksss! You actually properly explained the reasoning behind his areas of weakness.

That said, I don't know if I think he isn't good enough full stop.

Partly because I didn't rate Ramsdale at the beginning but he changed my opinion of him and I'm not now going to change it again until I'm really convinced he is so bad (and I'm not).

Partly because; wasn't the idea that he'd grow into the role as he got older, he's still only 25 (young, relatively speaking for a keeper) or has that idea been abandoned now?

Also partly because honestly it's irritating asf how quickly some Arsenal fans pull the knives out once a player is no longer in favour.

And weren't people saying we should be getting £30M - £50M for him? We are not getting that amount for him if he's a clown keeper/not good enough (on a side note: I obviously don't think he's bad, but expecting those numbers for an out of favour keeper was always unrealistic, even if he is English).

Also to be clear this is a separate discussion from Raya who I wasn't convinced about at first but who has been quietly solid for some time now (though if we don't have to sign him I still probably wouldn't drop the £30m or so for him, if we have signed him, or can't legally back out, then fair enough I guess it's alright).

dino bravo

It wasn't just the error.

Within the first 20 minutes the difference between Raya and Ramsdale was astonishingly clear.

Ramsdale just kept kicking it long and forcing us to have to re-start build up. And we'd have to build up from the midfield and from out wide (White and Kiwior) instead of building through the middle.

For all the possession and all the sustained pressure we had, we would have had a complete vice grip on the game from the start if he just chose to not pass, hold it at his feet, or play it to one of the CBs on at least 10 occasions.

But no...

Long kick. Forcing us to have to win the 2nd ball once they cleared it.

I haven't seen Jorginho have to contest the ball in the middle so much in months. Jorginho rarely has to attempt duels because the ball is never in the middle of the park and in the air that much. But once Ramsdale kicks long, their defence heads it or kicks it to clear, the ball is in the air near the centre circle - the ping pong game commences.

Ball rolls back to Ramsdale...

Long kick. Repeat.

It was so frustrating to watch, and that was the starkest difference.

Not to mention the fact that, at least in the 7 prior games, teams haven't pressed us because none of our players are pressing triggers. We've been playing lineups where there isn't a single player on the pitch who gets the ball, and thats the signal for the opposition to press that player. Nobody to press means more periods of sustained possession, more possession means more pressure, more pressure means playing higher up the pitch. Thus, 31 goals in 7 games.

But it's not a coincidence that they sat off, jogged around and played it safe until Ramsdale got the ball, and that was the pressing trigger. Run at him. He'll fluff a pass or kick it long.

He isn't good enough, and its sad that this game so blatantly made it clear.

This was probably the 1st game of the season that felt like a game from last season. And it really was his fault. The mistake was just the icing on the cake.

I was one of the people who believed Raya was only an incremental upgrade and not worth the outlay. I thought the money would have been better spent in another potision. But I am happy to hold my hands up and say I wasn't just wrong I was dead wrong.
Excellent post and as much as I like Ramsdale, this sums up the situation perfectly.

It really did feel like last season all over again and although I did enjoy the excitement of it, I much prefer the controlling, boa constrictor of a team we have become.

DuBB

This is a good post, rather than some variation of Ramsdale suckkkksss! You actually properly explained the reasoning behind his areas of weakness.

That said, I don't know if I think he isn't good enough full stop.

Partly because I didn't rate Ramsdale at the beginning but he changed my opinion of him and I'm not now going to change it again until I'm really convinced he is so bad (and I'm not).

Partly because; wasn't the idea that he'd grow into the role as he got older, he's still only 25 (young, relatively speaking for a keeper) or has that idea been abandoned now?

Also partly because honestly it's irritating asf how quickly some Arsenal fans pull the knives out once a player is no longer in favour.

And weren't people saying we should be getting £30M - £50M for him? We are not getting that amount for him if he's a clown keeper/not good enough (on a side note: I obviously don't think he's bad, but expecting those numbers for an out of favour keeper was always unrealistic, even if he is English).

Also to be clear this is a separate discussion from Raya who I wasn't convinced about at first but who has been quietly solid for some time now (though if we don't have to sign him I still probably wouldn't drop the £30m or so for him, if we have signed him, or can't legally back out, then fair enough I guess it's alright).

Fair and balanced thoughts.

I was one of those people who didn't think the difference between Rams and Raya was drastic. And maybe even if you asked me 2 days ago I would have said the same thing.

But watching the match yesterday, and watching him pelt the ball forward. Watching Jorginho, Rice and the CBs have to contest aerial duels after his long balls were pinged up and back at us... things we haven't seen much this season. Not just in the recent run, but this entire season.

It clicked to me that I was watching us from last year, and that the reason we looked good in attack, but were sometimes vulnerable defensively was because we gave opposition a way to contest us.

I still think Ramsdale is a very good GK. Maybe even a Top 6 GK.

But if you play the way we play, or City play (not the same, by the way, but control and dominate), you can't have a GK who gives the ball to the opposition as a standard.

Even the goal he gave them, go back and watch. He didn't get a pass stolen, he didn't underhit a pass:

He couldn't get the ball out from under his feet because he needed a run-up to generate power to kick it long. Again. I highly recommend people go back and watch. Even what he was trying to do was of no use to us.

My knives aren't out for him, like some. Thankfully we won. I just wanted to make that post so others could see (and debate) the difference between not only his style of play, but the way his style of play has a knock on effect on the whole team.

If you want a good example of why Ramsdale's style of GKing doesn't work for us, listen to Jorginho from 3 months ago talk about how our gameplan, as a team, is designed to help all players, including him, hide weaknesses, and highlight strengths. I've timestamped it, you only need to watch for about 1 minute:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I was one of those people who didn't think the difference between Rams and Raya was drastic. And maybe even if you asked me 2 days ago I would have said the same thing.

But watching the match yesterday, and watching him pelt the ball forward. Watching Jorginho, Rice and the CBs have to contest aerial duels after his long balls were pinged up and back at us... things we haven't seen much this season. Not just in the recent run, but this entire season.

It clicked to me that I was watching us from last year, and that the reason we looked good in attack, but were sometimes vulnerable defensively was because we gave opposition a way to contest us.

But if you play the way we play, or City play (not the same, by the way, but control and dominate), you can't have a GK who gives the ball to the opposition as a standard.

Even the goal he gave them, go back and watch. He didn't get a pass stolen, he didn't underhit a pass:

He couldn't get the ball out from under his feet because he needed a run-up to generate power to kick it long. Again. I highly recommend people go back and watch. Even what he was trying to do was of no use to us.

My knives aren't out for him, like some. Thankfully we won. I just wanted to make that post so others could see (and debate) the difference between not only his style of play, but the way his style of play has a knock on effect on the whole team.

If you want a good example of why Ramsdale's style of GKing doesn't work for us, listen to Jorginho from 3 months ago talk about how our gameplan, as a team, is designed to help all players, including him, hide weaknesses, and highlight strengths. I've timestamped it, you only need to watch for about 1 minute:

On point 🔥🔥🔥

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Seth Meyers I Give Up GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Excellent post.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
It was almost scripted that he was going to find a way to **** up wasn’t it? Hopefully that’s the last time he plays for us complete clown of a keeper.

Have to say I'm in the same bracket as @DuBB didn't think there was too much in it but yesterday's performance showed there's clear air between the two for the system we play.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard

Wow. Was sitting there wondering why Jorginho is contesting headers all the time and when was the last time he had to do it.

Didn't even think about it from this perspective but makes so much sense.

Tom349

Wow. Was sitting there wondering why Jorginho is contesting headers all the time and when was the last time he had to do it.

Didn't even think about it from this perspective but makes so much sense.

Part of that was the way Brentford play, one of the stronger teams in the air we will play against. On the flipside though is with Raya we build through the back more often and go long less.

@DuBB explained it very well but beyond what he mentioned that are technical flaws there is also the mental flaws. Making quick decisions, having the bravery to play out from under pressure and having a presence which is often understated.

fute

Part of that was the way Brentford play, one of the stronger teams in the air we will play against. On the flipside though is with Raya we build through the back more often and go long less.

@DuBB explained it very well but beyond what he mentioned that are technical flaws there is also the mental flaws. Making quick decisions, having the bravery to play out from under pressure and having a presence which is often understated.

Yeah, Brentford isn't Sheffield or Burnley or Palace. They are a pestering bunch.

Ramsdale had his work cut out for him today.

Ramsdale just isn't Raya's style. When he tries to play like Raya, rather than just being the shot stopper he is, it is quite clear.

In today's game and what we need, Raya fits the bill. Playing 11 vs 10/11 instead of 10 vs 10/11.

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom