• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Álvaro Morata

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerGetYah

Established Member
Obviously you don't know the player so stop moaning. You cannot think just with stats, let alone one stat. At least take in the account the number of minutes he played, the number of matches he started / at which position and against which teams he scored as well as the importance of his goals.

Last year the dude scored in both legs of the CL semi-finals againts Real Madrid and also in the Final against barcelona. He made epic matches against Dortmund too and Bayern this season and also offered Juventus the Cup. He also scored crucial goals in Seria A in the 2 years. He is young and CLUTCH...

If we buy him it will be for the obvious potential, not only stats.

I know nothing huh?

Let's compare 4 players from the same team (makes it fairer)

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...7/p#shot_accuracy/goals_scored/total_shots#90

I know who I would rather have, Zaza would be the best value for sure. Hence why West Ham, Southampton etc are chasing him.

Watch a video of him too, he got the skills backed up by the stats.

This guy has way more potential as a CF, Morata is better suited to AM. If we are selling Özil then sure, get Morata.

alwaysmassive78

If the market makes Morata a £50m striker then wouldn't Madrid just keep him seeing as Ronaldo is 31 (assuming no young forwards 'better' than Morata will emerge soon)?

samshere

Why so serieuse?
But there genuinely aren't many if any natural goalscorer who are available.
Worst case scenario with Morata we have someone who will at least equal Giroud's return and simultaneously bring what Welbeck contributes.

Genuinely think he's a player that will help bring the best out of other players we have as well
We already have a player that excels at bringing the best out of other players. We need finishers and Morata isn't the answer. I'd be much keener to bring in a proven goalscorer..

Can anyone that doesn't want Morata actually provide a realistic name of someone that’s better? Can't be that many.

The term realistic is a moot point, but if we are talking having to spend upwards of £40m for a player, then both Romelu Lukaku and Daniel Sturridge would be a distance ahead of Morata. Lukaku has stated his desire to leave, the question appears to be for how much. Critical of his touch in the past, but he has sharpened up somewhat over the past 12 months. Batters goals for fun, offers physicality and ability to score a range of goals, Prem-proven. Not an 'Arsenal forward' in the strictest Wenger-era technical description, but he could be lethal in a better side than the mediocrity he has played within for the past four years.

Sturridge - I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool at least considered an offer, given his injury record and that he is certainly not an ideal Klopp frontman.

I'd then also look at both Mauro Icardi and Domenico Berardi. Icardi is a hunter, offers less of the link-up-play, but is clinical. Berardi - for me - is a better player than Morata. Whether Juventus would sell him? We can but ask. Offers that versatile forward style and has proven his pedigree in Serie A.

I'd also monitor Jonathan Calleri if there was a chance he could be stolen out of Sao Paulo.

Those would represent my initial shortlist, but a competent scouting team should be able to put a range of options infront of Wenger. It doesn't necessarily have to be someone proven, just the right player. 12 months ago nobody was talking about Aubameyang being a world-class frontman, and that same 12 months ago Henrikh Mkhitaryan barely looked like he could kick a ball in a straight line. Now both are hot-property.

Options are out there, beyond the obvious.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
I really do hope this comes through - classy player. Always looked good to me whenever I've seen him.

Big game player also.

Right age.

Can play up top alone and hold up the ball & has better pace than Giroud.

Get him Arsène!

Last edited:

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Good strikers will bring the best out of Özil. I don;t think it's the other way around. As I said in his thread last week, he tends to expose the flaws of poor strikers.

Completely 100% agree. Özil is the living embodiment of bring a Horse to water, but he cant make it drink there... or score more goals.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The term realistic is a moot point, but if we are talking having to spend upwards of £40m for a player, then both Romelu Lukaku and Daniel Sturridge would be a distance ahead of Morata. Lukaku has stated his desire to leave, the question appears to be for how much. Critical of his touch in the past, but he has sharpened up somewhat over the past 12 months. Batters goals for fun, offers physicality and ability to score a range of goals, Prem-proven. Not an 'Arsenal forward' in the strictest Wenger-era technical description, but he could be lethal in a better side than the mediocrity he has played within for the past four years.

Sturridge - I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool at least considered an offer, given his injury record and that he is certainly not an ideal Klopp frontman.

I'd then also look at both Mauro Icardi and Domenico Berardi. Icardi is a hunter, offers less of the link-up-play, but is clinical. Berardi - for me - is a better player than Morata. Whether Juventus would sell him? We can but ask. Offers that versatile forward style and has proven his pedigree in Serie A.

I'd also monitor Jonathan Calleri if there was a chance he could be stolen out of Sao Paulo.

Those would represent my initial shortlist, but a competent scouting team should be able to put a range of options infront of Wenger. It doesn't necessarily have to be someone proven, just the right player. 12 months ago nobody was talking about Aubameyang being a world-class frontman, and that same 12 months ago Henrikh Mkhitaryan barely looked like he could kick a ball in a straight line. Now both are hot-property.

Options are out there, beyond the obvious.

How is only discussing realistic options irrelevant. :lol: Might as well act as if we should be going for Messi and Suarez.

You admit someone like PEA wasn't considered WC a year ago but don't want Morata? Very odd statement.

How is only discussing realistic options irrelevant.

You have misinterpreted. I said the term realistic is a moot point - as in, whether or not Lukaku, Sturridge can be classed as such.

You admit someone like PEA wasn't considered WC a year ago but don't want Morata? Very odd statement.

Not really.

Morata is a good player, but I've stated previously that I feel he has a 'Real Madrid rating' not in keeping with his overall production or statistics. It bothers me not one iota that Morata is not considered world-class, but I would not want to pay through the nose for him and - if we were to do so for a striker - I'd rather it be one from the sample five-man list in response to your question.

The point regarding Aubameyang is that ratings of players can change drastically, quickly (true for Morata, as anyone). That is to say, it is too easy for the fanbase to focus on the mythical 'world class striker'. I just want to see the right player bought, whether he cost £8m or £50m. To my eyes, that is not Morata. If he arrives, so be it; good player, room to develop, may turn into the forward we need. I would just prefer it not to be Morata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Latest posts

Top Bottom