• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Celtic FC

fabo

6.51 / 10
He's not quality or s**t.

Failed in the Prem with WBA and the SPL/Europe with Celtic. Good in the Championship and a decent spell at Hibs. Mixed bag really.

I've always thought he was average. Overrated because he tries to play 'the right way', but that's down to personal preference I guess.

thegame24

Established Member
What makes him quality?

Promoting west brom? Its been done before

Could he keep them up? No Robson did, premier league is much harder than championship.

SO Robson done better.

Hibs, qualified for Europe 30 points behind second place and gets thrashed 5-1 by dynamo nobodies.

Great job

Goes to his biggest job where his job is to challenge rangers for the title (something that's done 90% of the time in Scotland) Yet he has the biggest gap between the two teams in 5 years and leaves before the season ends.

Be honest, Would you say that record is **** (eg standard) or a quality manager.

Fact is, FACT IS

He failed in the premiership and he failed at Celtic. You cant fail in the prem and the Scottish prem and be a quality manager.

If hes quality then what is O'Neil? A genius like wenger?

James

Established Member
Mowbrays problem was not completing the job at West Brom. He couldve turned them into a premiership club as Curbishley did at Charlton after failing at the first attempt. The lure of joining his old club was too much.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
:lol: this is going round in circles. I neither have the time nor the energy to respond to the same stuff over and over again, especially not from someone who ignores every point previously made.

thegame24

Established Member
James said:
Mowbrays problem was not completing the job at West Brom. He couldve turned them into a premiership club as Curbishley did at Charlton after failing at the first attempt. The lure of joining his old club was too much.

Ok, ill allow your argument but still cant say that he would have for sure.

However, goin to celtic and challenging for the title is probably an easier job,considering past seasons, yet he went and didnt survive the season and gave celtic one of their worst seasons in a loong time.

James

Established Member
I know my argument is ifs and buts. As I said, I don't think Mowbray is either quality or useless. He's a manager who likes to play attractive football. I've mentioned it before, but I went to see Albion the season they got promoted a handful of times, and they played some excellent stuff. They tried replicating that in the Premiership and it didn't work. Just feel he deserves a bit of credit for that. I think he was building a side capable of coming straight back up, and staying up with a few proven signings, something he couldn't do before. It was a bad move going to Celtic, a club where instant success is a neccessity. Scottish Football is in a desperate state in terms of quality and finances.

thegame24

Established Member
You say he played good footy with west brom, fair enough but his team failed. The fact he couldn't take it to a team like Celtic proves he is pretty crap (so far anyway)

Klaus you are pathetic.

True Gooner

Established Member
I'd take him over certain managers currently in the league.

I agree with James, moving to Celtic was a bad move because the expectations there are ridiculously high and maybe if he'd stayed at West Brom he would have been a better manager for it as he's the sort who needs to be at a club that allows him to build a base and move forward.

thegame24

Established Member
True Gooner said:
I'd take him over certain managers currently in the league.

I agree with James, moving to Celtic was a bad move because the expectations there are ridiculously high and maybe if he'd stayed at West Brom he would have been a better manager for it as he's the sort who needs to be at a club that allows him to build a base and move forward.

Sorry but if he finished the league within a few points he wouldnt get sacked.

Yes i know he walked but thats because he probably knows hes been shocking and avoids the sack.

GaelForce22

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
England needs more guys like him who are able to think for themselves and less of those monkey-see-monkey-do types like Pulis and McCarthy.
Maybe you agree with what he represents, but Mowbray's done next to nothing in his career, even compared to those two. Pulis might be old fashioned but the job he's done at Stoke is remarkable and Mowbray clearly has a lot to learn before he'll be able to build a team as successful as that.
Del Boy said:
His West Brom side played better football than any team O'Neill has had his teams playing.
And they still finished bottom of the league. That (or any other) style of play is useless unless you're successful while playing it.

banduan

Established Member
Wow you guys. :lol:

You gotta understand, in thegame's dog eat dog world anyone who isn't good enough is ****.

I gotta say though, calling him a 'quality' manager is a bit much! Idealistic, perhaps.

Kain

Established Member
Always liked Mowbray especially his WBA team, had some good players and made some very average players play in a system that worked for promotion playing good football along the way like Jason Koumas, Beattie & Kevein Phillips, they had to work on less than a shoestring budget because they're not a big city club and it's unrealistic for them to pay huge transfer fees or wages and they had to sell players like Curtis Davis for the money.

I hate the myth that you need to stick 10 defenders on the field just to survive in the premier league its a compelete fallacy, Charlton didnt do it, neither did Boro, Fulham, Wigan or Hull theres so many teams that don't do it or never did to begin with that I fail to see where that train of thought come from to begin with?

I don't believe it will tkae Mowbray long to find a new club, the problems underlying Scottish football right now are worrying to say the least.

Alfonso

Established Member
Gotta agree with theGame here, Mowbray is ****. Plus, he comes across as so mundane and boring in his interviews, literally zero personality or charisma. Imagine if you were a player coming in at half time and had to be inspired by this guy? I know I wouldnt be.

Oh, and he looks like Robbie Keane's old man.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
I really hate this "he plays football in the right way" argument.
Who gives a ****? It's all well and good playing "the right way" (even though there is no right way to play football) when you have the players to succeed. Arsenal being a prime example.

But if you're managing a Relegation candidate and your good football is putting you bottom of the league then surely you'd change it? Same at Celtic. Maybe it was good football, but they're doing ****.

If Mowbray (God forbid) became Villa manager and we plummeted down the table, I'd be pretty pissed off. I wouldn't say "Well **** me he's playing nice football so I'll just enjoy it. I like Coca Cola anyway"

Nice football is masturbatory. Playing with yourself, going round in circles before you're left with your **** in your hand looking like a wally. Good football wins football matches. In an ideal world you combine the two (see Arsenal). But at the end of the day you need to win games. if you don't have the players available to play nice football and win then I'm sorry, you have to bite the bullet and change your tactics.

Mowbray got West Brom promoted. Fair enough, not a bad achievement. But plenty of managers get their clubs promoted from the championship. It's how they cut it in the big leagues that defines how good they are, and Mowbray has never done that. He faile din the Prem and he's failed in the SPL. Granted he did an ok job first time round in the SPL but still, he wasn't winning championships. he was finishing 4th in a league where there's only 2 real teams.

Maybe "awful" and "terrible" were harsh. But he's far far from quality. Average is about as far as I'd stretch.

Kain

Established Member
So Stevo what exactly would you of done with WBA to keep them in the premiership, and the squad of players at WBA & Mowbrays disposal, stuck 8 defenders on the pitch and got relegated playing **** football instead?

It's not like they got destroyed week in week out like Derby 07/08 or Sunderland 05/06. WBA finished three points behind Hull who finished 17th and two goals behind Boro on goal difference who came 19th, it's not that tragic, Mowbray & WBA didn't plummet their club into administration either. WBA can yoyo back up and give it another go.

Alfonso personality & charisma means next to nothing, If we went by Charisma we'd never of got Wenger in as manager, Chelsea are above us in the league with an uncharasmatic Ancelotti & Barcelona who won everything they could in the last calender year come to play us in the champions league with zero charisma Guardiola at the helm.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Kain said:
So Stevo what exactly would you of done with WBA to keep them in the premiership, and the squad of players at WBA & Mowbrays disposal, stuck 8 defenders on the pitch and got relegated playing s**t football instead?

It's not like they got destroyed week in week out like Derby 07/08 or Sunderland 05/06. WBA finished three points behind Hull who finished 17th and two goals behind Boro on goal difference who came 19th, it's not that tragic, Mowbray & WBA didn't plummet their club into administration either. WBA can yoyo back up and give it another go.

Alfonso personality & charisma means next to nothing, If we went by Charisma we'd never of got Wenger in as manager, Chelsea are above us in the league with an uncharasmatic Ancelotti & Barcelona who won everything they could in the last calender year come to play us in the champions league with zero charisma Guardiola at the helm.

I wouldn't have done anything. I'm not apremiership manager. If I was manager I'm sure I'd be the worst manager ever.

But other managers find tactics that work. Bottom line. Mowbray didn't. He won the CHampionship, won it.And then was by FAR the worst of the promoted teams. Why? because everyone else played the football necessary to stay in the league. It's not pretty but its a necessity to get a promoted team as a regular in the league.

If playing nice football makes you a good managerthen so be it. I'll surrender that yes, if that is the criteria then Mowbray is a good manager. Very good in fact.
However, my criteria is results. At West Brom he did well in the championship and poor in the prem. In Scotland he made Celtic worse. He dismantled the team, added his new players, and they're considerably worse than when he started.

Results>style of play.

If you offered me 10 points less a season but lovely football, I wouldn't take it.

tam1886

Established Member
When he's got a record which is on a par with John Barnes, you can't say he's any more than a ****ing hopeless manager.

95mtcg.jpg

All jokes aside, I don't think he's completely hopeless.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Stevo the Villan said:
But other managers find tactics that work. Bottom line. Mowbray didn't. He won the CHampionship, won it.And then was by FAR the worst of the promoted teams. Why? because everyone else played the football necessary to stay in the league.
Them spending millions of pounds on players had something to do with it too. Mowbray never could because he never got even a quarter of the money the likes of Brown abnd Pulis did. Brom had absolutely no right being in Premier League but he took them there anyway. Put in perspective it's quite the achievement.

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup
Top Bottom