• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Celtic FC

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
And why is that, exactly? Does quality mean something else in the UK than it does over here? People are reacting like I've compared him to Ferguson or something when all I've said is that I think he's a very good manager.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I think Mowbray is a better manager. I'm not particularly impressed by Pulis. He's spent £50 million on transfers during the last two years. Stoke should be averaging more than 1.18 points per game with that in mind.

Alfonso

Established Member
Pulis is a much better manager imo. To keep Stoke in the league last year was some acheivement.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Klaus, you said he was a "quality" manager.

In my opinion, that's big praise.

If WBA had gone down with a fight then maybe, but they didn't. They went with a whimper.

I just don't think he's achieved anything to be labelled as quality. He might in the future, and yes he plays nice football. But he's never done anything, in my opinion, that impressive. Promotion from the championship is all he has, which is an achievement. But plenty of managers have done that and not been "quality".

Alfonso said:
Pulis is a much better manager imo. To keep Stoke in the league last year was some acheivement.

That's my point. Pulis did it playing horrible football. But it was necessary to keep them in the league. Had Pulis played "nice" football and got relegated would he be a quality manager?

I think a lot of other managers would have done better with WBA in the prem last season.

Kain

Established Member
Stevo the Villan said:
I wouldn't have done anything. I'm not apremiership manager. If I was manager I'm sure I'd be the worst manager ever.

But other managers find tactics that work. Bottom line. Mowbray didn't. He won the CHampionship, won it.And then was by FAR the worst of the promoted teams. Why? because everyone else played the football necessary to stay in the league. It's not pretty but its a necessity to get a promoted team as a regular in the league.

You did read my above post, the idea that is being portrayed by you and others is that you need to play **** football to survive in the league it's not true, there are more teams in the premier league right now who actually play (rather than throw the ball into the net and stick six foot five neanderthals on the pitch and get the rub of the green from the ref for being 'to slow' to tackle) then adjust their styles totally which is a ridiculous concept.

If playing nice football makes you a good managerthen so be it. I'll surrender that yes, if that is the criteria then Mowbray is a good manager. Very good in fact.
However, my criteria is results. At West Brom he did well in the championship and poor in the prem. In Scotland he made Celtic worse. He dismantled the team, added his new players, and they're considerably worse than when he started.

Results>style of play.

Nobody is arguing against this, just the fallacy that you need to play like Stoke to stay in the EPL, to me the more I read on this your discrediting Mowbray for the fact that WBA were far less financially adapt to the likes of Stoke, Hull or even teams like Derby or Sunderland (who get massive turnovers in ticket sales by comparison) rather than anything to do with styles of play.

If you offered me 10 points less a season but lovely football, I wouldn't take it.

See again the thought that playing good football = instant handicap, ridiculous comment anyway. How about if I gave you a ticket to go watch Pullis Stoke or a ticket to go watch Mowbray’s WBA which would you take?

regele

Established Member
Kain said:
Stevo the Villan said:
I wouldn't have done anything. I'm not apremiership manager. If I was manager I'm sure I'd be the worst manager ever.

But other managers find tactics that work. Bottom line. Mowbray didn't. He won the CHampionship, won it.And then was by FAR the worst of the promoted teams. Why? because everyone else played the football necessary to stay in the league. It's not pretty but its a necessity to get a promoted team as a regular in the league.

You did read my above post, the idea that is being portrayed by you and others is that you need to play s**t football to survive in the league it's not true, there are more teams in the premier league right now who actually play (rather than throw the ball into the net and stick six foot five neanderthals on the pitch and get the rub of the green from the ref for being 'to slow' to tackle) then adjust their styles totally which is a ridiculous concept.
No it's not, you're missing the point, the idea is you play the kind of football that gets you results, good, bad or whatever and that a manager can't be labeled quality just for playing good football.

Kain

Established Member
regele said:
No it's not, you're missing the point, the idea is you play the kind of football that gets you results, good, bad or whatever and that a manager can't be labeled quality just for playing good football.

He's not being labeled 'quality' JUST for playing good football though, like was said on the other page his time at Hibs and his time at WBA count for something he got results with them two teams which makes him better than ****, he done it with next to no money aswell, that shows quality itself.

Hey I'm all for pragmatism in football management, but if comments are going to be made at the time he spent at WBA being a failure I would like to know what others would do differently under the circumstances, if it's easy enough to label him **** it shouldn't take long for to add a comment of what they would of done in his position.

Just looking at how the table finished and the teams in the league that year they're probably dead last in terms of finance & maybe infront of only Wigan for fanbase, while the amazing Tony Pullis ****ed 6 mil away on Dave Kitson.

regele

Established Member
I don't think Stevo called him ****, he called him average, which I would agree with. He should have tried to change something when he saw that the football they were playing, despite being easy on the eye, was getting them relegated.

Kain

Established Member
Your right he didn't call him **** just 'awfull' & 'terrible' not far off, some might say just as damning.

Change what something?

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Cheers, regele. You're bang on.

I didn't say you NEED to play horrible football. Sometimes beautiful football works. However, seldom does it work with a newly promoted team.

Don't get me wrong, i'd rather sit in the stands every week and watch lovely football.

My point is a good manager will play a style of football which suits their team. And as nice as it was to watch, the "good" football did not suit West Brom, as their position in the league reflected. My point was that other managers would have found a way to play that would have given West brom, and Celtic, more of a fighting chance. It's admirable that Mowbray insists on playing nice football, but it's also ridiculous that he insists on playing it when it is detrimental to the team.

Again good football does not equal a good manager. It CAN equal a good manager coupled with results.
Do you think Wigan fans at the moment would swap Martinez' admirable style of football for an extra 10 points? I think the majority of them would.

And yes I called Mowbray awful and terrible. ok that may not be fair. but he's certainly closer to awful and terrible than he is to "quality".

What would I have done differently? I'd have tried playing a style of football that suited my team. If this had to be more direct then so be it. I'm not sure what that style would be, as I said I'm not a manager. I'm sure real managers would have worked on it and figured something out. But I certainly don't think they'd have carried on blindly playing "good" football (I hate that phrase) if it wasn't working.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Rangers are lining up with a bunch of Brexit ballers like Goldson, Cantwell and Taviner...all Championship players in England.

i24ednspyq2uioa4g3xia54qmkwxj4ez_hq.jpg

...no wonder the blue half of Glasgow keeps getting battered now!

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩

I always thought that when Liverpool sang 'You'll Never Walk Alone', it was Fantastic. Hearing Celtic sing it, I think I have changed my opinion. The Celtic version might JUST be better?

Arsenal Quotes

We don't sign superstars, we make them.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom