• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Ospina: On Loan to Napoli

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
What a piss poor goal to concede really.

I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt for next season but it's actually better for us to find a better keeper ASAP.

Thehulk

Don't waste your time responding lad. I'm fairly sure that dude watches a different Arsenal to the rest of us.
What sort of mindless attack do you call this, we all have different opinions, and just because I wont condemn a new player after a couple of errors I get verbally attacked.

Thehulk

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ists-arsenal-boss-Arsène-wenger-10217786.html

“Look, I believe in the goalkeepers I have,” added Wenger. “I believe that Szczesny is a very good goalkeeper and Ospina has come in and done a fantastic job. You look at the numbers in the Premier League and who is top of all the goalkeepers and you will see it is Ospina.”

eye4goal

Established Member
He's dependable like Per, Giroud and Monreal, so it'd be ruthless if he's replaced over the summer and they kept their places(likely). If Wenger sees Cech as a great opportunity he'd have to go for it though.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
What sort of mindless attack do you call this, we all have different opinions, and just because I wont condemn a new player after a couple of errors I get verbally attacked.

I apologise if you felt as if i verbally attacked you, I didn't feel as if I did. I was just expressing how different our opinions seem to be. You're very stern and repetitive in your views too. It's just when you say things like Ospina has been a revelation, yet Ramsey has been underwhelming, I just can't see your logic.

14_4

If we caN bring in a significant upgrade such as cech, we should go for it, otherwise it wouldn't be a disaster imo. Ospina has been quite solid barring a few mistakes.

Thehulk

I apologise if you felt as if i verbally attacked you, I didn't feel as if I did. I was just expressing how different our opinions seem to be. You're very stern and repetitive in your views too. It's just when you say things like Ospina has been a revelation, yet Ramsey has been underwhelming, I just can't see your logic.

I said I dont rate Ramsey's performances this season highly, any one with any respect for themselves need to be truthful on a football forum, which is what I do.

Ospina has come in and done a fantastic job, and as Wenger says in the article if you look at the stats Ospina is a top keeper.

Its rather childish to call for his head after one or two errors, if you look at the bigger picture he has done fine, if it takes other players time to adapt to the league Ospina will surely be even better next season, I'm sure he will be getting another chance anyway.

Malky

Established Member
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ists-arsenal-boss-Arsène-wenger-10217786.html

“Look, I believe in the goalkeepers I have,” added Wenger. “I believe that Szczesny is a very good goalkeeper and Ospina has come in and done a fantastic job. You look at the numbers in the Premier League and who is top of all the goalkeepers and you will see it is Ospina.”
What do you expect Wenger to say? He's obviously going to back his own players in that situation!
There is also stats by Arseblog that has the Szczesny Vs Ospina comparison in more depth and Ospina isn't out performing Szczesny as much as people here seem to think he is. He may of conceded less goals and had more clean sheets but that's more of a result of a change of tactic from us plus the inclusion of Coq in midfield, he's been the big revelation this season, not Ospina.

Thehulk

What do you expect Wenger to say? He's obviously going to back his own players in that situation!
There is also stats by Arseblog that has the Szczesny Vs Ospina comparison in more depth and Ospina isn't out performing Szczesny as much as people here seem to think he is. He may of conceded less goals and had more clean sheets but that's more of a result of a change of tactic from us plus the inclusion of Coq in midfield, he's been the big revelation this season, not Ospina.

Ospina is rated in the top 5 in the league on whoscored, his stats are good and he has had a very good season.

Wenger is being deadly serious, you will see at the start of the season.

Thehulk

Their top 10 has Jedinak and Phil Jones in so I think I will pay no attention to that website
jedinak has been one of the leagues best players, and always has good stats. Jones must be doing something right if he has good stats.

If Ospina is one of the best stat wise then he's not as bad as some are making out.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
jedinak has been one of the leagues best players, and always has good stats. Jones must be doing something right if he has good stats.

If Ospina is one of the best stat wise then he's not as bad as some are making out.

you're kind of missing the point though. there's more to football than stats. our defense since bould came in has been pretty good. ospina has little to do. most title winning goal keepers have little to do too. it means that you need to pay attention to how they deal with periods of having little to do. Ospina is a good shot stopper as is every keeper in the league. his tendency to diplay mental lapses is what is worrying. he has got away with a few but they are worrying. They are a sign of things to come.

a few games ago I remember him going all the way to the edge of his box on a st piece to punch a ball that was going to land on the head of koscielny. he missed it but luckily it didn't lead to anything. not only was his decision making there bizarre, his lack of height was exposed when he couldn't even punch the ball.

these same inadequacies then resulted in a goal on sunday. he comes for a ball he maybe shouldn't have and then because he is short couldn't even punch it

Thehulk

Yeah stats only paint part of the picture, but he has certainly been up there with the best in the league.

I keep on saying it, but it's very important, people have to realise it's Ospina's first season in the league, keepers will generally be more comfortable in there second season, I'm happy with him for the time being, I'm sure we will have a closer look in preseason any way.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I do think that Ospina will be our no. 1 GK next season as well, mainly due to the fact that stats back him up and Wenger tends to trust his players (sometimes too much unfortunately). After watching him vs. WBA my personal opinion is that we should get Cech, bench Ospina and loan Szczesny, as the latter is still young and could become an amazing keeper.

But I just can't see Wenger take such a decision.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The keepers position is different to outfield. The adjustment period is less of a jump. Wenger has even said as much. Scz went from League One to the PL. I do find it odd how someone who's slates Ramsey's performances this year is praising Ospina to the hills.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Im so unbelievably bored of have doubts over our goalkeepers. Can we for once just have a keeper that doesn't have a bunch of question marks over him?

Arsenal Quotes

When you start supporting a football club, you don’t support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom