• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Do we have any world-class players?

Currently, do Arsenal have any world-class players)

• Total voters

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Arsenal fans on the TL think Saka is the best in his position in the PL but they forget that Mo Salah is still around.

Salah is WC, not Saka imo.
So the best league has 1 rw who is world class. How many world class rw are there in the world?

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Ok the best definition for me is are you top 5 in your position? Is Saka top 5 rw?

Pretty easily, that's why the criteria is not cut and dry :lol:

Certain eras I wouldn't even consider him lol, but right now he's clear of most bar one or two names globally. One of them (Salah) is at the twilight of his career.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

What about players that are great in one league but not another? Diego Forlan was incredible in La Liga and for Uruguay, but flopped in England. Could he be considered WC?

lol I liked Athletico Forlan a lot to be fair.

Speaking for myself I wouldn't let flopping in one league (or the Prem) stop me from calling someone world class, as Bergie and Henry weren't all that in Italy.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

So the best league has 1 rw who is world class. How many world class rw are there in the world?

Not necessarily but I think I need to see more of Saka or most of these names from our team before I can come to any concrete conclusion. The talent pool for genuine world class players is small in this current era.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I think we have a bunch of players on the cusp of it. If Saliba keeps it up, he's world class by the end of this season. If Saka and Ødegaard repeat their performances from last season or at least come close to it, they're also world class. The three Brazilian Gabriels are all in the tier below for now, though I think Martinelli has a shot at it long-term.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Not necessarily but I think I need to see more of Saka or most of these names from our team before I can come to any concrete conclusion. The talent pool for genuine world class players is small in this current era.
I honestly think football is better than ever, players are fitter, stronger and tactically better than ever. Comparing previous players to current is always unfair on current players because people tend to remember only positives after players retire. Players are scrutinised more than ever and a bad patch and you are overrated. In the past players used to have bad spells all the time and it didn’t effect how they are viewed overall.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I also go with if you are top 3-5 at your position. That being said Saka and Rice qualify and probably Saliba as well. Ode isn’t he has been poor and injured this year. Martinelli could be there but needs to add to his game. Gabriel is elite and not WC

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I honestly think football is better than ever, players are fitter, stronger and tactically better than ever. Comparing previous players to current is always unfair on current players because people tend to remember only positives after players retire. Players are scrutinised more than ever and a bad patch and you are overrated. In the past players used to have bad spells all the time and it didn’t effect how they are viewed overall.

I agree players are more systematic and fitter in this modern game which is expected due to the game evolving over the years but it’s also why they’re more prone to looking underwhelming when you take them out of that system than in previous eras. Still all of that doesn’t equate to them being better in terms of individual quality in changing a game, there’s more of a reliance on the manager’s approach than a star player winning the game hence why it’s hard to differentiate who is a “world class” player and those who aren’t.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Tricky because there are fewer standout players these days and a lot of very high level players that are much of a muchness.

Saka might have a chance of going a level up if he didn't have to teeter on the edge of burnout.

Saliba is the closest, probably needs a good CL run against the best but I don't think there is much more you can want from a CB.

I don't think anyone else is close really, Ødegaard has some pretty obvious flaws. It's all relative though, if you compare him to 10s of the past he is miles away.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

No, I think timescale and lack of major honours play a role in perception though.

Maybe even how some of the players are used holding them back.

Buhry

Established Member

Yes, Saliba. Based on his consistency the last year (and team of the year in france too i guess), and that he holds up against the best - barely ever gets dribbled by and can bully Haaland physically. I wouldn't want to swap him for any CB in the league. Also is absolutely elite on the ball for a defender.

Saka and Ødegaard from last season I guess were close but this season I don't think so, allthough Saka is still a very productive player.

Rice is excellent defensively but needs to do a lot more on the ball for me to want to put that kinda label on him.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

This thread is so dumb.

We answer his question and then he keeps changing the parameters.

Really it’s the “Debate the definition of world class with OnlyOne” thread ffs.

I’m not changing a thing, people can decide what their parameters are and if our players fit into it, there’s no definition that’s the whole point.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom