• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
There’s clearly a huge gap between the top 6 and the rest.

There's a bigger gap between City and Liverpool and the rest too. My point is there's a top 4, 5th and 6th place don't matter. Top 6 is a term created once big teams like Arsenal and Man United dropped out the top 4.

Iceman10

Established Member
Combination of on pitch performance, players, wages, revenue, recent history etc.

I’m actually quite surprised this is a debate.

It's about how a striker performs against certain teams considered a tier above the rest. On that, I guess I understand what you are getting at, in terms of psychological, based more on reputation, etc.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It's about how a striker performs against certain teams considered a tier above the rest. On that, I guess I understand what you are getting at, in terms of psychological, based more on reputation, etc.
Just realised we’re talking about different things. I was just making the point about the ‘size’ of the top 6 clubs.

I’ve chosen not to weigh in on the debate about records against the top 6 but I will say that to be the best you have to be able to produce against the best.

BigPoppaPump

Just realised we’re talking about different things. I was just making the point about the ‘size’ of the top 6 clubs.

I’ve chosen not to weigh in on the debate about records against the top 6 but I will say that to be the best you have to be able to produce against the best.

I’m not talking about size of the clubs I’m talking about top 6 not meaning anything and really it’s top 4 with 2 people losing out. I get that top 6 is a thing recently because teams like Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal have fallen out who were regulars when it was just the top 4. It’s just a marketing term.

I’m too wise for this forum sometimes man it’s annoying,

Iceman10

Established Member

To avoid any confusion from now on, would recommend we use the term "Big Six" instead of "Top Six" when it is related more to size of clubs. This seems to be the term Sky Sports has adopted.

For example:

https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/english-football-2019-20.33710/page-5#post-4904834

VB2cFmz.jpg

Iceman10

Established Member
See I prefer that. Top 6 is a dumb term.

I like that there is agreement on terminology making it clearer from now on. For Auba, the flow of conversation on the previous page was a bit difficult to follow. Was his benching for certain matches just coincidental with the level/reputation of opposition, or not. I've never had him pegged as a flat track bully, nor have I seen any data to suggest that.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Well not really, Sky just decided to start calling it the top 6 and everyone just parroted it because the media brainwashes people. Really theres a top 2 with City and Liverpool and a top 4 where they are Champions League places. There is no top 6.
These terms have been around for decades but are more in our consciousness now. Traditionally, there was a big five and then us and Utd made it the top two. Chelsea arrived and made it a big three and with the PL getting four CL places, the top four was born. The three biggest clubs in England have appeared in the EL so the top six was born. It's not where I want us to be. Top three places only tbh.

JoaoFelix

Premier League is the best league in the world at the moment. I don't think there should be a debate. Tottenham is now respected by everyone and are considered to be one of the best teams in the world. Arsenal's history speaks for itself, Man United too. Chelsea won the europa league last year and won the champions league a few years ago. Plus they had some Legends, Terry, Drogba, Lampard, Zola etc.

BigPoppaPump

It's not just sky but in france too we call it top 6. basically this term is used worldwide not only in england. Whether you like it or not Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea have a history, are known worldwide.

I thought you were Portuguese this whole time.

Does Arsenal still even still get respect worldwide? We’ve had like 15 years of not doing much.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Probably the worst discussion I’ve ever read on this forum.

There is clearly a big 6 (revenue, points etc) and everyone knows what the term means.

Don’t see whats so dumb. I can guarantee top/big 6 isn’t a term you used before last season, but its a thing now.

Don’t you want to know where this new term in your venacular came from? Who coined it? What does it even mean? It only became a thing once Liverpool and Sp**s got their **** together. And how do you even group Arsenal and Man City together when one is aiming to win the title every year but the other aims for top 4? Until you get a CL spot for 5th and 6th there is no top 6.

But then I realised the masses don’t like to question the media and just buy into whatever they’re told. You lot just repeat whatever you hear on Sky and Talksport and act like its your own thoughts.

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
Don’t see whats so dumb. I can guarantee top/big 6 isn’t a term you used before last season, but its a thing now.

Don’t you want to know where this new term in your venacular came from? Who coined it? What does it even mean? It only became a thing once Liverpool and Sp**s got their **** together. And how do you even group Arsenal and Man City together when one is aiming to win the title every year but the other aims for top 4? Until you get a CL spot for 5th and 6th there is no top 6.

But then I realised the masses don’t like to question the media and just buy into whatever they’re told. You lot just repeat whatever you hear on Sky and Talksport and act like its your own thoughts.
Why are you being so dense about it? :lol:

There are 6 teams on the country that basically rotate the spots and there are multiple reasons to group them together:
  • Bar that freak Leicester season, no more than one team has been able to break the top 6 in the last 10 years.
  • All of the 6 are in the top 10 in world club revenues currently, that's huge and no other english club comes close.
  • The matches between the six make up many of the hardest and most exciting games of the season.
I find it hilarious that you are calling top 6 a "made up nonsense term" and then a few posts later say you're ok with "big 6". How is that any less of a made up term? :lol:

Feels like you're arguing for the sake of arguing and to feel superior with your "brainwashing media" narrative, which is pretty dumb considering I've never watched an english talk show in my life and yet still use the term, like I'm sure many people on this forum do.

P.S. Most people understand top 6 is not the literal table positions from last season, if Wolves had finished above Man U, they wouldn't suddenly replace them in the top 6 in people's minds :lol:

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Love seeing @BigPoppaPump derailing threads by dropping ‘wisdom’ pearls, and people actually trying to counter using facts and real world examples (I was there).

Havent you learned from hydro?

Wouldnt surprise me if they shared an igloo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom