• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger: Trust me in this summer's transfer market

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
-vapour- said:
DanDare said:
The annoying thing about the whole Frimpong situation typifies what's wrong with Wenger's attitude. Yes, Frimpong probably has improved but even if he had I bet he wasn't good enough to be cover to mount a serious and strong title challenge.

Wenger has admitted his youth experiment is a failure so why is he not now buying?

When? Did I miss something...

Last season he said something along the lines of "The experiment with youth will have failed if we don't win anything this season". Well we didn't therefore by his own admission it has been a failure.

I'm sure he said this, am I just imagining it, few people seem to remember it...

I can't seem to find a quote but I'm sure he said it, anyone else rmeember?

lagos

Established Member
USArsenal said:
come on, does no one know that quote?? work with me here peoples

brown-460_1007774c.jpg

The Sleeper

The issue is not so much whether Schwarzer was better or not. It's that we needed a new keeper, even if he was only as good as Al.

When Al makes his next mistake, it will affect the team and supporters in this manner: "oh no, there he goes AGAIN".

When a new keeper made a mistake the reaction from most would have been: "well keepers make mistakes, let's give him a chance".

Plus, any great saves from a new keeper would have generated rushes of confidence and positivity. Any great saves from Al, and the rest of the team and the fans will still be thinking: "yeah but... wait for it".

It's not positive for Arsenal that we have kept Almunia (AND Fabianski).

Since Wenger asked for trust in him, I feel let down by his lack of vision in this department.

But what's done is done. As a fan of a club that is challenging for the highest honours, I have to believe that we can win something, even with the goalies we have at our disposal.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
TheLoneFalcon said:
I mean the man gets raped often enough in goal already. :roll:

Other teams in the prem must be chuckling to themselves, always a chance of a point when the Muppet Al is in goals, comes to something when the away supporters start cheering when his name is mentioned on the team sheet. :(

GoOnYouGunners

It's going to infuriate me to hear Wenger blame not buying a keeper on "the market." He could of made a deal if he wanted. Stekelenburg, Marchetti both were available.

Tbh the keeper position should have been taken care of before the first friendly.

Alexone234

GoOnYouGunners said:
It's going to infuriate me to hear Wenger blame not buying a keeper on "the market." He could of made a deal if he wanted. Stekelenburg, Marchetti both were available.

Tbh the keeper position should have been taken care of before the first friendly.

Though there are not a million great keepers around, money talks and a respectful bid would have pried a keeper away from his club.

What on earth were Fulham going to do with 2m quid?

But its not just that we didn't sign a keeper during this transfer window, its that since Lehman departed we have not signed a replacement keeper even though we only got Almunia because he was free or silly cheap and we needed to get rid of Silvinho and his "DIY" passport.

progman07

Established Member
marco said:
my favourite wenger comments are always when rosicky and rvp come back from injury.. and he says

" rosicky is like a new player"
brilliant!
i

Those quotes are so set up for a killer question: "you might have got a new player in, but why did you 'sell' another four on the way?" :lol:

It's such a messed up comparison, because he only counts in the returning players, not caring about the possible new injuries. New signings, FFS.....

Alexone234

On the subject of replacing four CBs with only two, I have to say that Silvestre and Sol were barely CBs and Gallas had lost his head. Arguably we are strong in defence now than at the beginning of the transfer window.
That said, Wenger has the ability of turning good defenders into crappy ones

Alexone234

Y va marquer said:
Alexone

In what way does Wenger turn "good defenders into crappy ones"?

Even when we have had a decent CB pairing like Gallas and Toure we still let in dodgy goals because we do not practise any drill training or other basics.

Senderous and Djourou looked great for Switzerland but woeful for us.

Even sensible defenders dither around in the box and look for a pass instead of lumping the ball away in times of danger.

Upson went from decent to poor then left and became decent again.

I put it all down to our defensive training methods.

The one season we looked solid in defence was when we reached the CL final and this was in part due to Keown being our defensive coach.

Sover

GoOnYouGunners said:

Excellent point on Stekelenburg. The fact a world cup finalist 'keeper has been available for less than £10m and we've still failed to sign anyone is infuriating. :evil:

Y va marquer

Established Member
Alexone

So how would you explain Sagna and Vermaelen and the steady reliable performances that they produce on a regular basis?

Gibbs is a class act and seems to be improving all the time.

Clichy appears to have stalled in terms of his progress but he did have a long spell injured last season and I wouldn't write him off just yet

Djourou I can't comment on because he hasn't had enough game time due to injury.

To my mind Senderos didn't have the mentality to make it as a top class defender - he seemed to dwell on his mistakes and let them affect his subsequent performances.

I don't think you can blame Wenger for that.

Gallas and Toure may have let in some dodgy goals as a CB pairing but I think it's stretching things to say that Wenger turned either into a "crappy" defender.
As defenders both are still well enough regarded to sign for a top 5 club.

Yes there are obvious problems in our defence and the system we play puts the back 4 under pressure that they sometimes cannot cope with, but I really don't see how you can say that the system and therefore Wenger diminishes inherently talented players to the extent that they become poor players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom