• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
So besides the Leicester based ITKs, has there been an actual legit source from close to our side linking us to him? This saga seems to have the same feeling as the one last summer. Lot of people close to the player or Leicester camp putting it out there that we wanted him, then the rest stories just because Wenger said he liked him.

I hope I'm wrong though, I think he'd be a great player here. Would make our attack best in the league, even in a worst case scenario where Lacazzete flops.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
So besides the Leicester based ITKs, has there been an actual legit source from close to our side linking us to him? This saga seems to have the same feeling as the one last summer. Lot of people close to the player or Leicester camp putting it out there that we wanted him, then the rest stories just because Wenger said he liked him.

I hope I'm wrong though, I think he'd be a great player here. Would make our attack best in the league, even in a worst case scenario where Lacazzete flops.

Nah, this feels very real. I believe we have him as 2nd option to Lemar. The moment we give up on him, we'll go for Mahrez, imo. We may also be holding out to see who we can, or will have to ship out this summer and for how much, to see what other holes in the squad may develop.

Or it maybe that the Laca signing has gone to my head, making me overly optimistic (read delirious).

RichieRich

Yep!! This is my wish. Go back to 4231 with Seri and Xhaka. Laca, Sanchez, Özil, and Mahrez (Lemar) all interchanging would be devasting.
Lets not be too quick to go back to 4231, best attack doesnt win you the title(ask city) best defence does(ask chelsea) we leak too much goals when playing 4231...Stick to this new formation, lets make our defence sound then we build from there because against big teams with a strong defence or very potent attack 4231 would most likely get us smacked( like against bayern)

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Lets not be too quick to go back to 4231, best attack doesnt win you the title(ask city) best defence does(ask chelsea) we leak too much goals when playing 4231...Stick to this new formation, lets make our defence sound then we build from there because against big teams with a strong defence or very potent attack 4231 would most likely get us smacked( like against bayern)

We could also just switch depending on what our opponent is?

4231 against all those teams parking the bus for 90 minutes
352 against the big guns

Many teams even switch interactively within matches.
Pep did it with Bayern basically all the time and it can be seen as City again. Similar with Tuchel and many others.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The notion that 3-4-3 makes us better defensively is misguided. Statistically we aren't any better defensively, we are actually worse. However, where it improves us is offensively we have players in the right areas. It essentially gives freedom to Alexis and Özil while allowing Ramsey to break forward.
Statistically it makes us worse? Need to see those stats as I'm not buying it. We beat United, Chelsea, City, Stoke away, Koeman and Southampton playing that formation. That to me is worth more than any stats. But I'll still listen.

There was a game toward the tail end of last season where we started 343 and them switched to 4231. I hope that is the case more frequently next season. Or 4222 / 3412. You have to be flexible.

nicky47

Established Member
Don't like to get side tracked in threads, but I agree with @bingobob when it comes to the debate about the 343. We all know about us finishing well, but beating the teams we did last season was what was most telling for me. Hence why I hope we continue with it.

We weren't perfect, but I wouldn't of expected us to be when you switch formation very deep into the season facing the difficult fixtures we had.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Statistically it makes us worse? Need to see those stats as I'm not buying it. We beat United, Chelsea, City, Stoke away, Koeman and Southampton playing that formation. That to me is worth more than any stats. But I'll still listen.

There was a game toward the tail end of last season where we started 343 and them switched to 4231. I hope that is the case more frequently next season. Or 4222 / 3412. You have to be flexible.

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/06/arsenals-back-three-myth-busted-by-the-numbers/

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It's stupid to suggest we were worse/the same defensively in a new formation that takes a while to bed in...

We looked a hell of a lot better after the first few games using it while it settled in.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
3-4-3 definitely improved us going forward. But we are still vulnerable on the counter, which is why we have faced the same no. of shots on goal.

EDIT: Actually more no. of shots as the above link suggests.

Preacher

Always Crying
We'll have all pre-season to polish 343, if we'll continue to use it.

We used new formation after just few training sessions getting used to it. I must say taking into account all the circumstances and short preparation time, it was step forward.

Goon-Ger

Leicester wanting 50m for a guy who had one outstanding season. I would rather we focus our attention elsewhere.

50m could get a seriously talented player with more consistency hopefully.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Leicester and Mahrez have agreement to let him leave this summer Leicester are waiting for someone to pay 50M but if nobody want to pay that Leicester will be forced to drive down their valuation.

neimad

He won't go for £50 million. No way. Leicester are chancing their arm. I'm sure we'd get him for around £35 - 40 million.

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
If he puts in a formal transfer request (not sure if his statement counts as one), he'll lose his loyalty bonus which would mean that Leicester could afford to lower their valuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]
Top Bottom