• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Lemar

OSBK

Established Member
I would for him in a midfield 2. But no doubt if this guy joins us he is Özil long term replacement. He has everything to play the Özil role at 21, imagine this guy in 2 years from now.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I think Wenger would use him more like a Iniesta type and in the wings. He likes the b2b to go inside the rival area. Even he tried with Coq and Xhaka

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No way we can accommodate Lemar without shipping Wilshere/Ox/Ramsey/Iwobi. Too many similar players with similar weaknesses.

I for one still believe we lack an elite player in midfield when not in possession to win the ball back. Casemeiro has the tenacity and aggression that enables Modric and Kroos to be expressive and the importance NB of such players is too often overlooked. Take Fabinho/Bakayoko out of that Monaco team and Lemar's effectiveness is very different.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
No way we can accommodate Lemar without shipping Wilshere/Ox/Ramsey/Iwobi. Too many similar players with similar weaknesses.

I for one still believe we lack an elite player in midfield when not in possession to win the ball back. Casemeiro has the tenacity and aggression that enables Modric and Kroos to be expressive and the importance NB of such players is too often overlooked. Take Fabinho/Bakayoko out of that Monaco team and Lemar's effectiveness is very different.

True but Xhaka looked pretty good as a ball winner, when we switched to a back three formation. It allowed him to sit a little deeper, so he didn't have to rely heavily on pace. And Wenger likes a player who can play a pass after he wins the ball. One of the reasons why Coquelin will be never be a top player for us.

nick gould

I think Lemar can be effective as a CM in a 2, but I think a 3 maximizes his potential and ability better. I'm all for signing both Lemar and Mahrez and going back to 433 with Özil/Xhaka/Lemar - Alexis/Laca/Mahrez.

If healthy that team wins the league, IMO.
I thought it has been agreed that the reason why we don't play 4-3-3 is that Özil is not effective in it. Going to that formation with yet another very offensive player in Lemar would be something.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I thought it has been agreed that the reason why we don't play 4-3-3 is that Özil is not effective in it. Going to that formation with yet another very offensive player in Lemar would be something.
I agree. I don't like the 433, let the wings so exposed. You need 3 CMs who cover a lot of ground. I remember rakitic saying is so tired to play that way but they do it cuz they 3 super players at front but you have to sacrifice a lot for them. I don't think it will work in PL, we would be so exposed to counterattacks and other teams only would need to park the bus.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I did. And got likes.

get
I've made a mental not of those who liked it. Some have disappointed me but most of them aren't surprising tbh.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Lemar would be a good signing, but he's definitely similar to players that we already have like Ox and Iwobi. If we hardly use Walcott and start giving Ox and Iwobi more minutes at CM then we should be able to accommodate them.

Also, and this is slightly off topic, but I don't think our struggles with the 4-3-3 had anything to do with Özil. Up until the Man City and Everton matches in December our 4-3-3 had been very successful.

I think the injuries to Mustafi and Bellerin, and playing Gabriel at CB and RB basically ended our season and our success with the 4-3-3.

At that time, Xhaka had finally gotten settled in the team, and now our defense was awful because of injuries and Gabriel. Gabriel at CB can't organize a defense to save his life, and everything looks awful, and now Xhaka's lack of pace became a problem.

At RB, Gabriel poses no offensive threat, so we couldn't transition the ball out of defense to attack quickly enough. Because of this, players like Özil, Ramsey and others have to collect the ball further from goal, and the entire team has to play more defense. Everything basically gets messed up.

Eventually, we went with three at the back because our defense fell apart, and then Gabriel even lost his starting spot in the back three.

If Holding and Chambers start playing ahead of Gabriel both our 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 will be much better.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Lemar is absolutely nothing like Iwobi in any way.

Iwobi is a luxury player that will eventually be the sort of player Özil is but obviously not on that level. No pace and no stamina in him but a bit of aggression/strength which is nice.

Ox has the end product of a ninja turtle on codeine but he and Lemar are similar in the fact that they're both engines, both very one footed but one has unbelievable end product. That is lemar.

cannonade

Established Member
Lemar would be a good signing, but he's definitely similar to players that we already have like Ox and Iwobi. If we hardly use Walcott and start giving Ox and Iwobi more minutes at CM then we should be able to accommodate them.

Also, and this is slightly off topic, but I don't think our struggles with the 4-3-3 had anything to do with Özil. Up until the Man City and Everton matches in December our 4-3-3 had been very successful.

I think the injuries to Mustafi and Bellerin, and playing Gabriel at CB and RB basically ended our season and our success with the 4-3-3.

At that time, Xhaka had finally gotten settled in the team, and now our defense was awful because of injuries and Gabriel. Gabriel at CB can't organize a defense to save his life, and everything looks awful, and now Xhaka's lack of pace became a problem.

At RB, Gabriel poses no offensive threat, so we couldn't transition the ball out of defense to attack quickly enough. Because of this, players like Özil, Ramsey and others have to collect the ball further from goal, and the entire team has to play more defense. Everything basically gets messed up.

Eventually, we went with three at the back because our defense fell apart, and then Gabriel even lost his starting spot in the back three.

If Holding and Chambers start playing ahead of Gabriel both our 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 will be much better.
True. I think Lemar is a much more polished, creative, and dangerous threat going forward than Iwobi and/or Chamberlin. Maybe it's just from looking at too many compilations, but Lemar looks like a real talent. The other players are solid, but this kid looks like a star in the making.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You have to bring players like Lemar to the club no matter what, future stars. Mahrez would be unreal but the mixture of bringing a 26 year old Lacazette and 21 year old Lemar this summer makes me hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
True. I think Lemar is a much more polished, creative, and dangerous threat going forward than Iwobi and/or Chamberlin. Maybe it's just from looking at too many compilations, but Lemar looks like a real talent. The other players are solid, but this kid looks like a star in the making.

I think Ox and Iwobi are big talents, but have been in a much more unforgiving atmosphere. Ligue 1 isn't a bad league, but it can definitely allow a player to develop without as much pressure as the EPL.

I don't like that we aren't in the Champions League, but I wonder if this competition will allow players like Holding, Chambers, Iwobi, Ox and maybe Welbeck gain more confidence and work on parts of their game. This also applies to Lemar because it can take a couple months for new players to get used to the EPL.

Playing a front four of Lemar, Iwobi, Ox and Welbeck in the Europa League could be really exciting.

nick gould

It wasn't a 4-3-3 though it was a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders and Özil inline with our wide players or just ahead of them. We have tried it before. Beginning of 2014/15 season we used jack wilshere and Ramsey together and Özil was pushed out wide. They both suit that formation but playing those two at the same time means we lose Özil's defence splitting passes.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
One thing that could work in our favor regarding Lemar negotiations is that Monaco kind of already have a ready-made replacement in Allan Saint-Maximim.

He's a really talented, French youth international that plays LW. He's only 20 and was on loan at St. Etienne last season. He's only 20, but can become really good.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It wasn't a 4-3-3 though it was a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders and Özil inline with our wide players or just ahead of them. We have tried it before. Beginning of 2014/15 season we used jack wilshere and Ramsey together and Özil was pushed out wide. They both suit that formation but playing those two at the same time means we lose Özil's defence splitting passes.

Yeah, I know that our 4-3-3 was actually a 4-2-3-1. And our 4-2-3-1 plays really differently depending on who our CMs are. A pairing of Cazorla-Coq plays completely differently than Xhaka-Ramsey.

And yeah, there was a time, three seasons ago, when Wenger tried to fit Wilshere, Ramsey and Özil at the same time, but that 4-2-3-1 was closer to a 4-1-4-1, and Özil was pushed out to the flanks. That formation failed miserably for many reasons, but mostly because we were too susceptible to counterattacks. Neither Wilshere nor Ramsey played defense and Arteta or Flamini weren't mobile enough to cover all the space.

Currently, Xhaka is way better than those two, and Ramsey plays more defense. The same flaws don't apply and we don't play a 4-1-4-1.

Our formation 4-2-3-1 (4-3-3) looked really good until December, and then it started falling apart and leaking goals when Mustafi and Bellerin got hurt. Gabriel replaced them and clearly isn't nearly as good.

Eventually, we changed formations and added a defender so that we stopped leaking goals, and Gabriel wasn't good enough to be a starter in a back three.

This isn't rocket science.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Latest posts

Top Bottom