• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette (Out)

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
One and a bit season was enough for Wenger to bring in another striker ahead of Lacazette, Giroud was our front man for an eternity. Say what you like but Girouds longevity for us and role for France speaks volumes.
Nah i think you have this completely wrong. Wenger tried every season to replace Giroud, he was well aware that Giroud was nothing more than a bench player at any big club. We got Auba because the opportunity was too good to miss and Laca hadn't had the best of starts, on top of which Giroud wanted to move on meaning we would have needed another striker anyway. I fully believe Wenger intended for them to play together not for one to be a replacement. It's fine if people don't rate Laca but some things in here are honestly verging on the stupid.

Highgate

I'm sorry but selling Laca or auba makes no sense. The only quality part of our team is the pair of strikers we have, everything else about our team is weak.

Making us weaker upfront too is insane. We need to add to them, not sell

Btw whatever Laca is worth now, he'll be worth more next summer if we must sell, he'll score alot, he'll be only 28 next summer and with all the money coming in to the game, transfer fees will go up. Keep him

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Nah i think you have this completely wrong. Wenger tried every season to replace Giroud, he was well aware that Giroud was nothing more than a bench player at any big club. We got Auba because the opportunity was too good to miss and Laca hadn't had the best of starts, on top of which Giroud wanted to move on meaning we would have needed another striker anyway. I fully believe Wenger intended for them to play together not for one to be a replacement. It's fine if people don't rate Laca but some things in here are honestly verging on the stupid.
Giroud signed for us in 2012. In that time he saw out Chamakh, Podolski, Sanchez, Walcott, Welbeck and im not sure who else as our main centre forward. Wenger tried to and failed to replace him. Giroud wasnt great but he wasnt awful. Yet it took 6 years to finally replace him as our number one centre forward.

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
Giroud signed for us in 2012. In that time he saw out Chamakh, Podolski, Sanchez, Walcott, Welbeck and im not sure who else as our main centre forward. Wenger tried to and failed to replace him. Giroud wasnt great but he wasnt awful. Yet it took 6 years to finally replace him as our number one centre forward.

My point was that Girouds longevity as Arsenals main striker had a lot less to do with his ability and a lot more to do with our incompetence in getting someone better, someone of Arsenals level. Of the lot you mentioned three were primarily wingers and were only used in desperation as strikers and two were far worse than Giroud to begin with, they were never going to replace him. Wenger tried for Suarez, Higuain and Vardy and probably others but in the end we all know how incompetent we can be so that all failed. I don't think Giroud is awful btw, i think he is a good striker, i just also happen to think Laca is better and the comparisons aren't fair, but that's just my view and am well aware that apparently people disagree.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
My point was that Girouds longevity as Arsenals main striker had a lot less to do with his ability and a lot more to do with our incompetence in getting someone better, someone of Arsenals level. Of the lot you mentioned three were primarily wingers and were only used in desperation as strikers and two were far worse than Giroud to begin with, they were never going to replace him. Wenger tried for Suarez, Higuain and Vardy and probably others but in the end we all know how incompetent we can be so that all failed. I don't think Giroud is awful btw, i think he is a good striker, i just also happen to think Laca is better and the comparisons aren't fair, but that's just my view and am well aware that apparently people disagree.
Well said. I am surprised at the sudden love for Giroud in this forum. Anyone who says he is an Arsenal fan but did not try to throw stuff on the tv screen when he was missing those sitters is lying. There was a reason why Giroud was hated when he was here. Most of his goals were scored when we were already ahead. He never turned up when we needed the most. Lacazette turned matches around with his goals. That's the reason why people love him. That is the reason why he was voted as the player of the season. He scored when it mattered the most. These are the goals which stay in fans' minds. People comparing Laca with Giroud are just blinded by their pointless hate against Laca. No logic there.

LG10

In the ideal world you’d have auba starting with zaha and someone like fraser on the wings with lacazette as 2nd choice like jesus with city. Problem is we’re not a super club like city so we can’t have 40M+ players on the bench. Lacazette wouldn’t accept being second striker either. Should’ve signed auba summer of 2017 and kept giroud as 2nd choice really.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Giro
Well said. I am surprised at the sudden love for Giroud in this forum. Anyone who says he is an Arsenal fan but did not try to throw stuff on the tv screen when he was missing those sitters is lying. There was a reason why Giroud was hated when he was here. Most of his goals were scored when we were already ahead. He never turned up when we needed the most. Lacazette turned matches around with his goals. That's the reason why people love him. That is the reason why he was voted as the player of the season. He scored when it mattered the most. These are the goals which stay in fans' minds. People comparing Laca with Giroud are just blinded by their pointless hate against Laca. No logic there.

Giroud did not get most his goals when we were ahead, simply not true. You could probably make quite a long list over goals late in games that won us points.

ChefMan21

Selling him makes sense if we're upgrading the squad with the funds.

For example, I'd prefer it if we're going from 8 clean sheets last season to 12, because there's a high probability that's given us four or five points on the table. And that's Champions League football right there. We only need to win 1-0.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Giro

Giroud did not get most his goals when we were ahead, simply not true. You could probably make quite a long list over goals late in games that won us points.
All I remember is that we missed the one chance to win the premier league because he went on a goal drought for two months. Unlike the situation we have now, we were creating chances for fun at that time. He had a prime Özil behind him who was giving chances to him on a platter only to see him screwing up.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It makes sense if you add a winger and other positions with the money.

Only if you've got a cheap young striker you think can actually deputise. Or if Nketiah is ready

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

You can't make an argument for or against unless you know what that 80m is going on, you can assume a sizeable chunk would be Zaha and then someone else.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Aubameyang was absolutely rubbish in most games without Lacazette. Same with Lacazette without Aubameyang. They worked best together and are one of the very few good things we have going. You basically lose both players if you sell one of them.

It would be idiotic to sell him for something like 80m.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom