• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Liverpool vs Arsenal | Saturday, 17:30 BST | Sky Sports

What is your predicted result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptrcopp

Spot on.

Emery’s game plan could easily have come off if Auba and Pepe had taken their chances and Luiz hadn’t so blantantly tugged a shirt.

A manager lives by fine margins. Blaming Emery is just frustration.

I agree with you that they should have taken their chances, but really they both only had a chance each, and one in each half.

There was no way we were set up to counter: when the team got the ball they didn't look to hit it direct into the final third.

I will have to wait for the match plots to come out. However, with the set up, it should have looked more like Crystal Palace's pass map today, with GK, full backs and DM - direct passes toward the forwards. Schlupp, Ayew and Zaha receiving it from Guatia, Ward, and Milohevic.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

We still have some way to go for the most part we didnt do bad. Midfield was non existent for beginning of 2nd half.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Has been interesting to read this thread. People losing their sh*t losing to Liverpool away, who are UCL champions, 2nd in EPL with record points. Not nearly all posters though, which is very nice.

Sokratis was at fault for the 1st goal with his shirt pulling that pulled also Guendouzi down, Luiz 2nd. Bad one for Luiz, but he is still a lot better than Mustafi. When Mustafi gets the ball to feet, cold sweat comes pouring down the back for any sane person.

People of course getting their agendas in limelight here, blaming Emery for tactics. We have many players adjusting to new team, also youngsters. Not Bellerin, Tierney, Holding like some others have said. Bingobob very on point that we will continue to improve. I like a lot what I saw from Pepe, but he is still nervy in EPL. Also two 20-year old midfielder at Anfield playing well, good to see.

People are blaming Emery for not putting long balls to Auba. :D He cannot get even 1/10 of those to own teammates even when he is so tall and good at jumping (I am a fan of him of course still).

And people wanting us to lineup head to head attacking against Liverpool away, hahahah. That has been a disaster in recent years. They will get the break against us, and our slow midfield cannot cover the space. It just doesn't work. It's a ****.

Also I think Torreira is not yet match fit, and that was a reason for him to be on the bench. People seem to be some crystal ball seers knowing what is going on in the team. "Why didn't Emery do this obvious thing, he is so stupid" etc...

I'm certainly not against constructive criticism against Emery, but like others have said it was individual mistakes that cost us. Was better than last year and we will keep improving and getting important players match fit.

Let's smash Tottenham next week.

People. People. People. And people.

Interesting post.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
It’s their full-backs, they are so vital and also incredible and go up and down all day.

Hope it’s similar with KT and HB.
Which is precisely why it was absolute lunacy for Emery's strategy to be to allow them absolute freedom up and down the pitch. To clog the middle of the pitch against a team that wants to play down the wing, allow those excellent fullbacks not only complete freedom going forward but essentially give them nothing to do in defense was unbelievably daft. You let Lacazette sit between VVD and Matip and put Auba and Pepe right on top of TAA and Robertson and then they don't feel they have the license to just camp out in the final third and aim into the box.

JoaoFelix

Has been interesting to read this thread. People losing their sh*t losing to Liverpool away, who are UCL champions, 2nd in EPL with record points. Not nearly all posters though, which is very nice.

Sokratis was at fault for the 1st goal with his shirt pulling that pulled also Guendouzi down, Luiz 2nd. Bad one for Luiz, but he is still a lot better than Mustafi. When Mustafi gets the ball to feet, cold sweat comes pouring down the back for any sane person.

People of course getting their agendas in limelight here, blaming Emery for tactics. We have many players adjusting to new team, also youngsters. Not Bellerin, Tierney, Holding like some others have said. Bingobob very on point that we will continue to improve. I like a lot what I saw from Pepe, but he is still nervy in EPL. Also two 20-year old midfielder at Anfield playing well, good to see.

People are blaming Emery for not putting long balls to Auba. :D He cannot get even 1/10 of those to own teammates even when he is so tall and good at jumping (I am a fan of him of course still).

And people wanting us to lineup head to head attacking against Liverpool away, hahahah. That has been a disaster in recent years. They will get the break against us, and our slow midfield cannot cover the space. It just doesn't work. It's a ****.

Also I think Torreira is not yet match fit, and that was a reason for him to be on the bench. People seem to be some crystal ball seers knowing what is going on in the team. "Why didn't Emery do this obvious thing, he is so stupid" etc...

I'm certainly not against constructive criticism against Emery, but like others have said it was individual mistakes that cost us. Was better than last year and we will keep improving and getting important players match fit.

Let's smash Tottenham next week.

It was indivual mistakes are you kidding me bro? They shot like 13 times in the first half. How the hell is that individual mistake? We got outclassed from the start. He tried a tactic which didn't work. Adrian gave the ball away to Auba. Apart from Pepe's occasion, we didn't do nothing offensively.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Wasn't a too discouraging performance I think. Missing first choice full-backs is massive and this team has barely played together.

Pool have been together for several years now and no injuries at all. Were they missing Robertson and TAA, having to play Clyne and Gomez there, it would have been a massive difference as well.

We're moving in the right direction, but it's a slow process and will take time and patience.

Fallout

unfortunately this game is on emery. i understand why he went defensive, and i can get behind that approach. but the diamond was headscratching.

even if you play defensively, there has to be some semblance of control over the key territories of the pitch. it doesnt take a football genius to foresee that his complete disregard for protecting the wide spaces would be our undoing. no idea what he was thinking.

the few times we managed to counter were purely down to individual brilliance, and that's simply not good enough.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
But if a manager's gameplan is at cross purposes with logic then he makes the margins smaller for himself. That Auba and Pepe could have scored is irrelevant. The way Emery set up did absolutely nothing but neutralize our own attacking threat and play right into what Liverpool does so well. That individual moments of brilliance from Pepe and unforced errors from Liverpool almost came off for us has nothing to do with Emery and everything to do with luck.
Emery knows his players are not up to Liverpool standard. Klopp got the best CB in the world, Emery got an ageing Chelsea reject. Liverpool has 3 quality experienced mids, Arsenal have two potential talents learning their trade. Pool has two top full backs, Arsenal has their two star full backs still in the gym

And any manager who knows the quality of his players are inferior always has two choices, go for it, or play defensively and hope for a breakaway. Wenger always went for it until the last couple of years. But when he lost 8-2 the mocking was unbearable. 9/10 managers take the cautious approach.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Which is precisely why it was absolute lunacy for Emery's strategy to be to allow them absolute freedom up and down the pitch. To clog the middle of the pitch against a team that wants to play down the wing, allow those excellent fullbacks not only complete freedom going forward but essentially give them nothing to do in defense was unbelievably daft. You let Lacazette sit between VVD and Matip and put Auba and Pepe right on top of TAA and Robertson and then they don't feel they have the license to just camp out in the final third and aim into the box.

True. I did mention before the game that it was worrying how narrow we'd be and leaving the fullbacks on their own.

However I don't think it cost us as much as it could've. Got done by three stupid mistakes. However Liverpool would've found their way regardless anyway, so I was encouraged by Pepe at least.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I disagree with you. As a manager you should know the strengths and weaknesses of your team. Sitting back is nowhere near our strength. Even if we had gone toe to toe and lost at least we would've given ourselves a chance. Sitting back trying to defend when we've got so many players prone to the odd error is not the way to go. The scoreline might look somewhat respectable but this has been the least clinical Liverpool has been against us in a while. They had so much time on the ball that before their first goal they had 13 shots, 2 on target and 8 of them blocked. That's not some tactical masterclass. That's just getting lucky that your players got in some blocks and some generally poor finishing.

Are you of short memory? Do you know what happens with our defence/midfield when we have like 70% control of the ball, and lose it once? They are so slow and Liverpool is so fast with their attackers. We will lose that kind of tactic every time at Anfield. Most teams lose there currently.

JoaoFelix

Emery knows his players are not up to Liverpool standard. Klopp got the best CB in the world, Emery got an ageing Chelsea reject. Liverpool has 3 quality experienced mids, Arsenal have two potential talents learning their trade. Pool has two top full backs, Arsenal has their two star full backs still in the gym

And any manager who knows the quality of his players are inferior always has two choices, go for it, or play defensively and hope for a breakaway. Wenger always went for it until the last couple of years. But when he lost 8-2 the mocking was unbearable. 9/10 managers take the cautious approach.
He played defensively and lost. That's a big L. He's the one to blame. We simply got punished by football.

TornadoTed

Established Member
We were beaten by the best side in Europe at full strength. We had our first choice RB, LB and probably CB out too. Started with 3 players 21 and under, plus we gave a full debut to a new player. Have some perspective.

Obviously, I am disappointed that we lost but if we consider this match in a wider context, there were signs to be encouraged by.

Spot on, I didn't think we were that bad just Liverpool are the finished article and we are very much a work in progress.

Adrian aside that Liverpool side have played 50 games + together, compared to us,

Sokratis, Luiz - 2 appearances together
Xhaka, Willock, Guendouzi - 2 appearances together
Auba, Pepe - 1st time they have started together

We are a long way behind them currently but we have an exciting young squad, we just need time to build those partnerships and team cohesion that Liverpool have.

JoaoFelix

Yeah crazy tactics from the manager. It’s almost like Liverpool are the champions of Europe who regularly blow top sides away at Anfield and haven’t lost at home in two years.
I'm saying that because some people thought it was tactical masterclass

Symbia

I must commend Douzi for his performance today. Was all over the pitch, tackling everything that moves and don't mind getting stuck. Very much available for the ball with drive to fight it through.

Seems like the young man has a great attitude with amazing mentality you find among elite players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom