• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,396
  • Views 121,831
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
If we give him any sort of contract extension then it says all you need to know about the ambition of the club.

I saw something on twitter today which perfectly sums it up. We didn't want to pay the price for Soyuncu instead we went with Sokratis as a stop gap, then decided he wasn't enough so signed Luiz as another stop gap, now we've brought in a guy from South America in his mid-20's. If we had of just signed Soyuncu in the first place we could be looking forward to a Saliba-Soyuncu partnership going forward. Soyuncu has been on of the standout defenders in the PL this season.

Regardless we need to stop going for stop gaps, or signing CB's just because they have experience. Quality is far more important. We even made a similar mistake with Lichsteiner.

It's the Raul/Barcenola MO, which fits nicely with Wengers papering over the cracks act from his last years.

The thing is, this only works when you have a Messi on your team, or in our case Wenger and Fabregas/Van Persie/et al.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
If we give him any sort of contract extension then it says all you need to know about the ambition of the club.

I saw something on twitter today which perfectly sums it up. We didn't want to pay the price for Soyuncu instead we went with Sokratis as a stop gap, then decided he wasn't enough so signed Luiz as another stop gap, now we've brought in a guy from South America in his mid-20's. If we had of just signed Soyuncu in the first place we could be looking forward to a Saliba-Soyuncu partnership going forward. Soyuncu has been on of the standout defenders in the PL this season.

Regardless we need to stop going for stop gaps, or signing CB's just because they have experience. Quality is far more important. We even made a similar mistake with Lichsteiner.

Sokratis was more expensive than Soyuncu. Sokratis is proven quality player who was very good last season for us. This season Sokratis started off poorly though making some uncharacteristic mistakes, he has however been great playing at RB in his last 3 matches. No guarantee Soyuncu would worked out as a good signing for us too just because he is playing well for LCFC at present.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Now with mari hopefully we not panic and give Luiz new contract. Use a academy CB as 4th choice until the season done.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Don't think he'd throw Luiz under the bus anyhow.

Hope that, at most, he stays here until the season ends. We have zero fit defenders.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
@yorch44

Remember when you said I know nothing about football when I was against the signing of Luiz?

I remember saying that he is a bag full of mistakes...whilst you were just focusing on his passing skills.
You didn't say nothing when he was MVP against ManU. Grow up. He had a bad game after 2-3 months of not playing.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Don't think he'd throw Luiz under the bus anyhow.

Hope that, at most, he stays here until the season ends. We have zero fit defenders.

Yh I don't want him at the club, but beggars can't be choosers. 9 times out of 10 Luiz is our best CB. Obviously when he's bad he's really f*cking bad. But he isn't that bad most of the time. If it's a choice between him or Holding till the end of the season you'd probably be better off with Luiz.

As for after this season though and him wanting a two year deal, he can f*ck right off.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I'm not so sure @dashsnow17. Even when Luiz is playing quite well on the ball, he always gives attackers too much space. You could see it against City before the opening goal (with the added frustration that he was pointing at others when Sterling came through on goal).

I didn't want him at all last summer, but was glad at least a CB came in near the end of the transfer window. Think I deceived myself in that he was quite good for us, but the stats don't lie.

At this point it even makes more sense to retain Mustafi than Luiz.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'm not so sure @dashsnow17. Even when Luiz is playing quite well on the ball, he always gives attackers too much space. You could see it against City before the opening goal (with the added frustration that he was pointing at others when Sterling came through on goal).

I didn't want him at all last summer, but was glad at least a CB came in near the end of the transfer window. Think I deceived myself in that he was quite good for us, but the stats don't lie.

At this point it even makes more sense to retain Mustafi than Luiz.

Well i'm just talking about the remaining 9 games of the season. Mustafi is here for that anyway, so it's not really an issue. If Luiz leaves at the end of June then you have Mustafi, an out of form Holding and Sokratis, who currently has an injury for some unknown reason. There's no way that's enough.

After the season ends it's a different matter. I don't want Luiz at the club, or Mustafi or Sokratis. Holding can probably go too. I've no love for any of them.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

He has been incredibly error prone this season.

You probably have to go back to 2015, for a centreback at Arsenal to have had even a decent year at the club...everything we do seems wrong now.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Don't think he's as bad as that performance but he's not great.

Not a fan of the lazy sky punditry where they just go on for half an hour about how he's never changed, conveniently ignoring his last couple of Chelsea seasons which were far from a shambles.

Yeah he's been a shambles here but it's an Arsenal problem coupled with what looks to be a decline. Not really a defence of Luiz more just calling out Sky's lazy punditry.

Leo_ense_

AnthonyG Survivor
Don't think he's as bad as that performance but he's not great.

Not a fan of the lazy sky punditry where they just go on for half an hour about how he's never changed, conveniently ignoring his last couple of Chelsea seasons which were far from a shambles.

Yeah he's been a shambles here but it's an Arsenal problem coupled with what looks to be a decline. Not really a defence of Luiz more just calling out Sky's lazy punditry.

It’s lazy journalism propagated by mindless figures like Carragher and Neville. It’s astonishing that Carragher is still on tv, much less that anyone listens to him given that he spat on a man and his daughter because they were United fans that wound him up. The guy is a **** and man child of the highest order, which is the norm for products of Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you start supporting a football club, you don’t support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom