• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Depends on how you look at it. Kos was one of the best, if not the best, keeping the high line. He was struggling to defend against strong aggressive players and wasn't the best clearing set pieces.
Depending on the forward he was marking, he did have some top class games (even against Messi), but a week later he would get destroyed by some PL bum with muscles.
All in all, he did well for us, and compared to our current group, it does feel like we've had a world class defender in him

Between 2012-2016, there wasn't that many better defenders in England than him, was quite consistent for us during that period...shame he never had the mindset of a top defender, that's what probably let him down the most.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Between 2012-2016, there wasn't that many better defenders in England than him, was quite consistent for us during that period...shame he never had the mindset of a top defender, that's what probably let him down the most.

There were plenty defenders better or on the same level, he was only good with Mertesacker next to him.

Is it that time of the month already?

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think David Luiz is better than Koscielny tbh, Koscielny really depends on who his partner is. He use to make mistakes all the time and was easy to bully. I don’t think he’s much better than what we have now, he’s similar to Mustafi.
I find it hard to praise Koscielny too much given the period he was in the defence we were regularly getting smashed by City, Bayern, Chelsea, United with that 8-2 even Southampton at one point.
Granted that's not all on him but I don't think our defence would look any better with him in it just now.

BigPoppaPump

I find it hard to praise Koscielny too much given the period he was in the defence we were regularly getting smashed by City, Bayern, Chelsea, United with that 8-2 even Southampton at one point.
Granted that's not all on him but I don't think our defence would look any better with him in it just now.

Exactly my point, Koscielny just wasn’t that good he was no better than Mustafi tbh.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Kos wasn’t an organiser and he often did rash dumb sh*t in our biggest games so I can’t call him elite myself.
Next to a natural leader though he could have been world class maybe.

Riou

Exactly my point, Koscielny just wasn’t that good he was no better than Mustafi tbh.

You said those defeats were on Wenger though, he set the team up too attacking in certain matches and we paid for it.

Just so we are clear, I don't think Kos is Adams or Campbell level either...but he's way ahead of ****ing Mustafi :lol:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Just so we are clear, I don't think Kos is Adams or Campbell level either...but he's way ahead of ****ing Mustafi :lol:
Oh for sure.

Let’s not get it twisted Kos was good. Criminally underrated outside of Arsenal and the opposite within our fansbase. Defo one of Wenger’s last few gems.

I think Pump says things for dramatic effect sometimes.

BigPoppaPump

What’s so ridiculous about saying he’s on the same level as Mustafi? @Riou @Macho

They’re both rash and make loads of mistakes, Mustafi is stronger but Koscielny is faster, with Mustafi also being better in the air. Mustafi never got to play with Mertesacker, he’s always had poor partners.

Koscielny is the more popular player cos his last ditch tackles looked good, but if we’re talking substance instead of style theres not much between them.

BigPoppaPump

You said those defeats were on Wenger though, he set the team up too attacking in certain matches and we paid for it.

Arsène is just the manager, you still have to judge the players performance regardless of tactics.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I think Kos is a notch above Mustafi myself.

I agree with you that Mus has the physical attributes definitely and your argument isn’t actually crazy tbh. I think Kos was good though, he’d be celebrated more if he didn’t go on strike I feel. @BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump

I think Kos is a notch above Mustafi myself.

I agree with you that Mus has the physical attributes definitely and your argument isn’t actually crazy tbh. I think Kos was good though, he’d be celebrated more if he didn’t go on strike I feel. @BigPoppaPump

I feel like when I challenge the consensus people think I’m trollin or tryna be a wind up, when really I think that certain players get cut a lot of slack and their flaws get brushed under a rug while vice versa happens with other players. I.e. with Koscielny and Mustafi.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Yeah Kos was in our possession based teams and did a lot less defending compared to our lot now, it can take just two passes to be in on our goal these days.

I don’t think that gets taken into account enough when we talk about our current defenders. That’s one reason why I’m so big on us improving our midfield ASAP.

Riou

I feel like when I challenge the consensus people think I’m trollin or tryna be a wind up, when really I think that certain players get cut a lot of slack and their flaws get brushed under a rug while vice versa happens with other players. I.e. with Koscielny and Mustafi.

Nah, I respect your opinion...there are times when I think you are winding people up but when you are serious you always give examples with your opinion.

Kos is a similar player to Mustafi in style, just think Kos is a level above him myself...he did have a few clangers in him, was pretty poor in his last few years here too...but I think the good outweighs the bad with Kos, he had some amazing performances for us..Mustafi is like the reverse, mainly bad with the good here and there.

Still feel one of the main reasons you don't like Kos is the fact he is a very meek man though.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

We were actually beating Bayern until his injury and then it all collapsed.

Kos was a good defender. Different stratosphere to Knob Holding.

say yes

forum master baiter
Kos wasn’t an organiser and he often did rash dumb sh*t in our biggest games so I can’t call him elite myself.
Next to a natural leader though he could have been world class maybe.
Kos was an elite individual defender. Just couldn’t marshal a defence for ****: he literally needed Merte holding his hand to stop him flying all over the place. Had the composure of a rabbit on cocaine.

Could have been (and for a time, was) a brilliant CB in the right setup. But when Merte left he was exposed for being an awful organiser at the back, and - let’s be frank - a pathetic leader. Also genuinely the biggest bottler I think I’ve ever seen.

He was definitely a great signing though, and is underrated by opposition fans. Just became clear when Per left that he was nowhere near the level Arsenal fans believed.

Still several tiers above Mustafi for me though, who is just plain ****.

BigPoppaPump

Kos was an elite individual defender. Just couldn’t marshal a defence for ****: he literally needed Merte holding his hand to stop him flying all over the place. Had the composure of a rabbit on cocaine.

Could have been (and for a time, was) a brilliant CB in the right setup. But when Merte left he was exposed for being an awful organiser at the back, and - let’s be frank - a pathetic leader. Also genuinely the biggest bottler I think I’ve ever seen.

He was definitely a great signing though, and is underrated by opposition fans. Just became clear when Per left that he was nowhere near the level Arsenal fans believed.

Still several tiers above Mustafi for me though, who is just plain ****.

Still think if Mustafi had someone like Mertesacker next to him he would look much better than he has. Let’s not forget how bad Koscielny was in his first few years as well. Everyone hates David Luiz now but could you really say Koscielny was a better player?

The reason opposition fans don’t rate him is cos they were never worried about playing him, it’s like how we never talk about Dejan Lovren or someone like that.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
When you look at Holding you don't see any decent quality you can work with. I won't call his signing a disaster. He was signed for peanuts, so we can make a decent profit off of him.
But as a team serious about challenging, he should be nowhere near the starting XI. Can't believe people compare him to Mustafi. Mustafi is a competent defender that is capable of moments of madness. But holding is just shïte. He has no positive standout attribute that you see and be like "Yeah, I can work with this".
He's 24 ffs and we still make excuses for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom