• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 233,072

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Willian coming here to chill with Luiz and get his retirement cash. How people can’t see this is crazy.

All facilitated by Kia obviously.
We have some excellent youngsters coming through. We just need that experience to guide them through the process. An example is David Luis in the final and semi final. That winning mentality and experience is priceless. Plus i'm not sure why people are turning their nose up at working with agents. It certainly has worked out extremely well for Wolves.

say yes

forum master baiter
Fair play to Kia btw. Annoying for us, but he
does an absolutely sensational job for his clients. He’s getting geriatric Willian a pay rise, a three year contract, and his dream move to the biggest club in London, all without even needing to move house.

Anyone who works in the entertainment industry on here should try and hire him. Could probably get Raul to replace the gunnersaurus as club mascot with your little band of Morris dancers @rich 1990 .

Could do a fun half-time show for the Emirates every weekend you’re not on an EDL march.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Willian, well past his best, 32 next month, Chelsea fans celebrating the fact he may be coming here, 3 year contract. Nah I'm not digging this at all.

If this happens our last 4 signings are Luiz, Cedric, Mari, Willian. It tells you two things, none of them are about long term bridging the gap and two they all have one thing in common.

Why do people look at the age and stupidly deduct a player is past his best?? Willian is coming of from arguably the best season for Chelsea and nothing indicates (apart from a number on his passport) that he is in decline. Considering advancements in physical recovery, diet and everything that comes along we'll see more and more players mainting decent output well in to their 30ies.

We already have a very talented core of young players, what we need is experience and ready made quality players. Just look at who do we usually have on the bench, youngsters and players we're about to sell.

FinnGooner

Established Member
We're not going to be making these type of signings and for good reason. We will be targeting top class players like Pepe, young players like Saliba and experienced players to keep us competitive like Luiz. Signing 20-40m players in their mid 20's won't be happening.

It's all good if you're willing to put the cash in the table. But if you're skimping, then you need to be ahead of the curve. Signing 32 year old Willian doesn't fit the top class player either. Giving him a three year, £100k/w contract is idiotic.

The only way I can get behind this signing is a scenario in which Kia has agreed to maneuver a multi-million move to China for him after 20/21 season. One season+profit for Willian is acceptable.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Weird fan base. You have Willian being lambasted in this topic due to being too old. There is negativity towards a Portuguese startlet being potential signed because he is too young, yet some have their knobs out for Benrahma and Buendia.

Willian in isolation would be a shocking transfer window. Signing Willian on a free to supplement youngsters like Saka, Martinelli and Nelson and offer a consistent option to the inconsistent (but quality) Pepe could be seen as a positive.

In addition, it opens up opportunities to spend on the weakest areas of our team i.e. cb and cm.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I’d rather have Coutinho to be honest, hope this doesn’t kill that move. Then after that maybe Kia can help pull off a move for Diego Carlos. What a guy.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Signing another young talent for the winger positions makes no sense with Nelson, Saka and Martinelli.
They are our future, so we can't block their way.

2 years for Willian should enough, not 3. I think the club better knows, if there is enough space in terms of wages for Willian.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Why do people look at the age and stupidly deduct a player is past his best?? Willian is coming of from arguably the best season for Chelsea and nothing indicates (apart from a number on his passport) that he is in decline. Considering advancements in physical recovery, diet and everything that comes along we'll see more and more players mainting decent output well in to their 30ies.

We already have a very talented core of young players, what we need is experience and ready made quality players. Just look at who do we usually have on the bench, youngsters and players we're about to sell.

I've watched him this season, he isn't anywhere close to the play was in 2015/2016 for example, nowhere near as explosive which I thought was one of his main strengths. Now he seems to be purely an end product player. Which is fine. It's more the length of the contract and the wages that's my issue.

Shalmaneser V

No they're not. Mind you they have great players, but Rafinha, Felipe Luis and a few others would get totally rinsed in the PL currently.

I disagree. I think as a collective they’d give any of the top 7 a good game. European fans underestimate the competitive nature of South American football. Winning the Libertadores isn’t a walk in the park. The likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Leicester would struggle to win that competition if they were invited in.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If Willian really can deliver about 3 key passes a game that good news for Auba. Funny because Coutinho key passes a game is 1.5 lol.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I’d rather have Coutinho to be honest, hope this doesn’t kill that move. Then after that maybe Kia can help pull off a move for Diego Carlos. What a guy.

Why would it? Willian is a wide player and Coutinho is a creative midfielder, two profiles we need in any case.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

It's really weird mate. People are just looking for confirmation bias. I've seen people mention he will be 32 next season, he was 30 last season so it's a moot point. He's 31 now, which is the same age as our star.

The narrative of Chelsea not wanting him seems to have gained traction here despite him TURNING DOWN offers from Chelsea. He's been arguably Chelsea's best player this year.

Then, people mention salary. 120k (ic true) is a snip for an established Premier League star. I'll wait for an equivalent on less. Vardy and Aubameyang are two players in their early 30s who are their clubs best performing 30 pluses. Walcott is probably on about 120k.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I disagree. I think as a collective they’d give any of the top 7 a good game. European fans underestimate the competitive nature of South American football. Winning the Libertadores isn’t a walk in the park. The likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Leicester would struggle to win that competition.

No one is saying winning a Libertadores is a walk on the park, it's not. But it's a totally different football game than it is at the PL.

There's a reason teams that win the Libertadores with progressive football suddenly change into Burnley when they face European competition.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Need to see the details of any contract before I make a proper judgement on this. People don’t seem as fussed if it’s a two year deal but two years on £150k a week is only slightly less than three years on £120k, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom