• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Super Fab says Edu might leave

Tom Mix

Edu has previous. He shat on us as a player and I can see him leaving if he cons his way to a bigger contract elsewhere. We are flying now and he must take some credit for that, perhaps through his Brazilian connections, but we were plummeting before and he must take some blame for that too, including the gigantic contracts and the freezing of players.

If he stays he stays and if he goes he goes, I won't lose any sleep either way. Certainly wouldn't give him a pay hike although happy if gets a bonus for getting us into CL or "higher up".

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Edu's agent trying to get him a bigger contract here it seems. I'm curious who identified our targets as Jesus, Zinchenko, Vlahovic, Ramsdale, White, Partey. I know Edu wanted Emerson Royal and Arteta Vetoed that instead requesting Tomi, which was a masterstroke as we'd be far worse off now if it went the other way. I'm pretty sure Jesus and Ziny would be Arteta buys though. Meaning Edu hasn't actually done anything all summer anyway. If Edu's responsible for identifying Martinelli that was a bit of a coup. Overall I'm uncertain on his value to the project. We were crying out for someone to compete with Partey and he utterly failed to do anything other than a last minute bid for an uninspiring Douglas Luiz

I imagine his contributions go well beyond (badly) identifying targets…

I’ve often had to manage incredibly capable people who were objectively “better” than me at most things. In those cases my job was to shovel **** out of their path, help fight their battles and steady the ship when required, give them someone to bounce ideas off whilst maintaining the culture we had built at the firm over the last decade. Basically do everything possible to let them do their thing and be awesome.

It’s a bit like gilberto silvas role in the invincibles… just because you can’t “see” someone’s contribution to success, it doesn’t mean it isn’t there…

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I imagine his contributions go well beyond (badly) identifying targets…

I’ve often had to manage incredibly capable people who were objectively “better” than me at most things. In those cases my job was to shovel **** out of their path, help fight their battles and steady the ship when required, give them someone to bounce ideas off whilst maintaining the culture we had built at the firm over the last decade. Basically do everything possible to let them do their thing and be awesome.

It’s a bit like gilberto silvas role in the invincibles… just because you can’t “see” someone’s contribution to success, it doesn’t mean it isn’t there…

His whole job description is identifying players with whatever it is we have for a scouting network now and keeping the football culture/style going regardless of who's manager.

At least that was his task first coming in and something that he's been kinda meh so far, specially seeing Neto/Royal being courted and others like Mari comging in.

Edu never had the best of records coming in to this job, his time at Corinthians and the Brazillian National team was not amazing in any way and a lot of journos in Brazil were a bit sceptical of what he was going to be able to achieve with Arsenal and rightly so.

Again, he's gotten better, but still needs to pull more out of the bag.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

An end to Joga Bonito?

giphy.gif

Would be our biggest loss since 8-2 at OT.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He can leave but don't think he will him and Arteta built good understanding he also likes the club unless kroenke looking for an upgrade but that early because the team is not completed.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

His whole job description is identifying players with whatever it is we have for a scouting network now and keeping the football culture/style going regardless of who's manager.

At least that was his task first coming in and something that he's been kinda meh so far, specially seeing Neto/Royal being courted and others like Mari comging in.

Edu never had the best of records coming in to this job, his time at Corinthians and the Brazillian National team was not amazing in any way and a lot of journos in Brazil were a bit sceptical of what he was going to be able to achieve with Arsenal and rightly so.

Again, he's gotten better, but still needs to pull more out of the bag.

He brought in and backed Arteta. Man can do no wrong in my book. Jobs not finished though. He can leave once he’s replaced Tets with Xhaka.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

He can leave but don't think he will him and Arteta built good understanding he also likes the club unless kroenke looking for an upgrade but that early because the team is not completed.

Agree, there’s absolutely no point in starting again with the director or manager position especially since we’re still in the “process” and the squad is being shaped exactly as they want.

I remember when a lot of the fans were gassed over Con Raul breaking down the clubs structure in an interview and thought he was building something long term then he ended up leaving 🤣 similar to Gazidis and his competing with Bayern comments.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Fab is a massive fanboi of Edu, don't think there's much in this. Think it would be odd for either of the twins to leave Arsenal at this stage anyways.

Hey you going to watch United vs Sp**s later?

El Duderino

He brought in and backed Arteta. Man can do no wrong in my book. Jobs not finished though. He can leave once he’s replaced Tets with Xhaka.

FWIW Raul was still head honcho when Arteta was appointed and it was Raul that backed signing Mikel in the first place before him, Sven and Gazidis got cold feet.

If Xhaka is made player manager and gets sent off from the pitch for his patented Xhaka Tackle TM, can he still coach from the sidelines? 🤔

El Duderino

Some of the severances Arteta landed him right in it though. Either by publicly falling out of the player or completely removing them from relevance.

I’ll give you some of the names Arteta blocked (Royal, Neto).

Also I am strongly against there not being a director or football person at the club being able to offer another perspective, say no or fire Mikel.

Who fires Mikel at any point, though?

Self preservation in Edu's part might see him sacking the manager at some point, but I doubt it. Just look at when things weren't going very well and there was defo a bit of cross fire between the two as far as leaks to the press went, and Arteta came out victorious on that when you look at the signings made.

Josh likes/trusts Arteta much more and that counts. The only guy with an override currently at Arsenal is the manager, so Edu in or out right now doesn't make much difference in regards of saying no to Mikel.

Now, as things start building up a bit more, maybe having someone with the gravitas and politics acumen to be able to play the Kroenke's and Arteta's side to balance things out becomes more important, but I don't see us there in the near future.

Plus Arteta would likely hand pick his DoF if Edu somehow left tomorrow.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

If Xhaka is made player manager and gets sent off from the pitch for his patented Xhaka Tackle TM, can he still coach from the sidelines? 🤔

Probably depends on whether he took out an opposition player or their manager…

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Who fires Mikel at any point, though?

I feel these passage of quotes from Edu summer 2022 are significant in answering this:

Edu on… when the club began implementing the current strategy

“With all due respect, the plan started really when we decided to change Unai Emery (in November 2019). That was my first planning — to go to the board, explain to them the reason we want to change, the reason we want to go a different direction.

“The idea behind it was to have a coach with a very clear idea. A very clear plan: very clear structure, how he wants to play. And from that we’re going to build something together.

“If you have a coach and it’s difficult to read how he plays — in terms of system, characteristics, etc — it makes our life super complicated. And then we can make a lot of mistakes on recruitment because we don’t really understand and it’s not easy to find the right player for the right system for the right coach.

“We had to be really brave to make the decision in the middle of the season because internal people said to me: ‘Wow, we never did that before’. I said, ‘No problem, in Brazil we do that a lot. Don’t worry!’

James McNicholas: It makes sense that Edu recognises the termination of Emery’s contract as the true starting point for his Arsenal tenure. After all, he wasn’t around when Emery was appointed in May 2018. At that time, Arsenal were still considering the appointment of Emery’s long-time collaborator, Monchi, for the technical director role.

Edu more or less says deciding to move on from Emery was the first thing he did. I believe he could put a strong enough case to get Arteta fired if he had the reasons.

He also reiterated in the same interview that when he met Arteta he highlighted 2022-23 season as the one where Arsenal will be better, also admitting getting top 4 last season would have been 1 season ahead of schedule. This indirectly threw the gauntlet to Arteta emphasising the need to deliver this season.

Josh likes/trusts Arteta much more and that counts. The only guy with an override currently at Arsenal is the manager, so Edu in or out right now doesn't make much difference in regards of saying no to Mikel.

Now, as things start building up a bit more, maybe having someone with the gravitas and politics acumen to be able to play the Kroenke's and Arteta's side to balance things out becomes more important, but I don't see us there in the near future.

Plus Arteta would likely hand pick his DoF if Edu somehow left tomorrow.

"But, now is the moment for everybody to be together and I would like to see people step forward in difficult moments and take the responsibility.

"I am responsible for what we are doing."

“Those decisions have been made with the technical part [of the team], the board and the financial guys who are involved with the ownership. Then, they support that plan. We are all in this.

“It’s a decision we made a few months ago, how we could move the club forward, the time that was going to take and the advantage that would have medium and long-term.

These quotes from Edu in his 2021 interview, a year before the quotes I used at the top where he takes owmership. The 2nd quote is Arteta himself. To me it's clear Edu has way more say than people think.

Last edited:

El Duderino

I feel these passage of quotes from Edu are significant in answering this:

Edu more or less says deciding to move on from Emery was the first thing he did. I believe he could put a strong enough case to get Arteta fired if he had the reasons.

He also reiterated in the same interview that when he met Arteta he highlighted 2022-23 season as the one where Arsenal will be better, also admitting getting top 4 last season would have been ahead of schedule, indirectly throwing the gauntlet to him emphasising the need to deliver this season.

The above quotes from Edu in his 2021 interview, a year before the quote I used above where he takes owmership. The 2nd quote is Arteta himself. To me it's clear Edu has way more say than people think.

Interesting, as even on AON I don't see him like that. Good to know that there might not be an imbalance of power between the two, specially since he's Arteta's boss.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom