• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Win PL: Aston Villa 2 - 4 Arsenal | Saturday, February 18 | KO: 12:30 GMT | BT Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
FpPvxBPX0AU03sh

@Trilly

Tom Mix

@A__G you see Unai slagging off Emi in his interview for going up for the corner? :lol:
Thought that was wrong. They would still have lost the game at 2-3. It was going to be practically the last play of the match so it was worth a shot the keeper going up. It's not about the goals a keeper scores but the havoc, another player to mark and normally a big one.

He probably was also feeling guilty about the goal, he needn't have it was a great shot by Jorginho and would have been tucked away by one of our boys if it hadn't gone in off his head.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Thought that was wrong. They would still have lost the game at 2-3. It was going to be practically the last play of the match so it was worth a shot the keeper going up. It's not about the goals a keeper scores but the havoc, another player to mark and normally a big one.

He probably was also feeling guilty about the goal, he needn't have it was a great shot by Jorginho and would have been tucked away by one of our boys if it hadn't gone in off his head.

Gary Lineker was saying they just get in the way.

Also isn’t goal difference key for them right now?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Emery just must not like Emi (can't blame him) or he would never have said that, why not send your keeper up when losing late on, no?

"Either I am winning today, or I am calling out that tosser!"

...Unai to himself in the mirror, while trying on that snazzy new jacket he had on today for the first time.

Synical

Miss Superstitious

What was the celebration with Nelli, Viera and Saliba?

I'm thinking they all made the shape of a number 4 with their legs, as in 4 goals scored. But was there any significance with the shapes they made with their arms/hands?

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Dirty is a matter of perspective.

I'm of the school of thought that you employ every weapon in your arsenal (pun fortuitous, not intended), save injuring an opposition player, to win

The Argentines, after being beaten by us in a match that will become the stuff of sagas (but that's a matter for a different thread :lol:) soundly beat, either through regulation time or penalty kicks, every opponent they faced & were ultimately deserved World Cup winners.
I don't agree... I can't praise a country that celebrates this like a "wonderful" resource. Don't be surprised that Emi feels proud of his time wasting and weird dancings.

images

Mohamed7

In Canada and the wifey wanted to go out last night and I said let's do it so we got home at 2am and the game here was at 7:30m and you can bet I got up to watch it.

Frustrating first half and it looked like it was going to be another loss or off day for us but did we ever flip it and karma came back to bite Emi at the end with the beauty of a strike from Jorginho. Then the cherry on top from Martinelli at the end was perfect!

This is why I love our team and will always love Arsenal! Matches like this where the emotions go wild. I live for it and Arsenal is like religion to me lol my wife thinks I am crazy but I can't help myself.

And then City dropped points and add Chelsea losing at home - only thing that makes this weekend better is Sp**s and United dropping points too lol.
In Canada too… so weird watching matches early in the morning. So used to watching in the afternoon and night for European matches.

Arsenal was one of the few things I told my wife before marriage to leave the **** alone. Better be in line from day one.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
The thing is, Trossard was even not more dangerous than Martinelli. It is really our left side that is very occupied. Because the role Zinchenko plays, it pushes the left wing really to the side on which the LCM needs to run through the lines. But Xhaka is really too slow to play that role. And as the link up with the striker is not there because of the limitations of your striker the LW position is just useless.

I would like to see the following setup:
------------------Nketiah-----------
Martinelli ------------------ Saka
--------------------Trossard------
-----Ødegaard---------------------
-------------------Partey--------------

Defensively we may be more volunerable but attack-wise this could be so dynamic that we may outscore the teams easily.
Screenshot_2023-02-15-15-46-29-836-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
I prefer this. I want to see Zinchenko in his best position.

Badger_Revenge

My impression:

This fragility in defense worries me. It's been evident since the Brighton match. The two goals each had a whole series of contributing sloppy mistakes. I wonder if these would have happened with Partey in the side. Has the team adjusted defensively to this absence? (I always think defensive solidity takes the longest to establish). Also, Ramsdale seemed like he wasn't mentally there in the first half.

I like what Zinny brings to the build up on the offensive end, but he's only a serviceable left back defensively, and he often gives the ball away in bad positions while attempting to split defenses. More than once Gabriel has yelled at him about it. Today we finally paid, but this was not the first time that he exposed the backline. Villa were almost waiting for it.

I really loved the 2nd half fight back. We were clearly the dominant team, despite the break aways from villa (Again, do these happen with Partey?). I worried when Ødegaard missed that our chance had gone, but the team didn't stop pressing. The chances from Nketiah and Gabriel should have been taken better.

We made our luck in the end. I always thought Emi still has Arsenal in the back of his mind, and with his OG today, he proved it.

This win could be really important. The team sees dominance can translate into points. The team still has to find a way to play around Jorginho so that we aren't so easily exposed on the counter. If that happens, we have the possibility of a true rotation in midfield.

Badger_Revenge

Also, I'm agnostic on Nketiah but 4 games without a goal is not a particularly long drought by Premier league standards. Nketiah's play should have led to a goal for Ødegaard, and that header was not far off.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Also, I'm agnostic on Nketiah but 4 games without a goal is not a particularly long drought by Premier league standards. Nketiah's play should have led to a goal for Ødegaard, and that header was not far off.
It’s 4 goals in 21 apps though. He also has just 2 league assists in his entire career. Considering how crucial his role is to how we function, I do question why he’s considered so indispensable by the coach.

Badger_Revenge

It’s 4 goals in 21 apps though. He also has just 2 league assists in his entire career. Considering how crucial his role is to how we function, I do question why he’s considered so indispensable by the coach.
He has 4 goals in 9 PL starts since Jesus was hurt this year. As a back up striker, this is not a woeful return.

I agree his play is not diverse enough. That's why he gets no assists, and why he is behind Jesus in my opinion. He also isn't efficient enough finishing. But Jesus is injured and we have no one else right now. Even then, if Ødegaard had been sharper, Nketiah would have had an assist against Villa.

Maybe Martinelli could play as central striker, but he has never in the past looked comfortable in the number 9 role. I'm not sure he has ever scored while playing that position, has he? His main asset is pace, and what does that give you against a team playing a low block.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He has 4 goals in 9 PL starts since Jesus was hurt this year. As a back up striker, this is not a woeful return.

I agree his play is not diverse enough. That's why he gets no assists, and why he is behind Jesus in my opinion. He also isn't efficient enough finishing. But Jesus is injured and we have no one else right now. Even then, if Ødegaard had been sharper, Nketiah would have had an assist against Villa.

Maybe Martinelli could play as central striker, but he has never in the past looked comfortable in the number 9 role. I'm not sure he has ever scored while playing that position, has he? His main asset is pace, and what does that give you against a team playing a low block.
When he first came through he scored a few goals in the number 9 position even if he wasn't playing there officially. He's a better header than Nketiah. Think his hold up would be better too tbh.

Don't disagree with your point generall though

6666Louis

Don’t move Zinchenko. His position is one of the most magical aspects of our formation.

He is a beast offensively and good defensively. Better in the air than Tierny. As much as I like Tierny, it’s no contest. We only need 3 in the back line when we play it out anyway.

Nketiah, Saka, white, Martinelli looks exhausted. Energy level dropped. Pressure level dropped

Vieira needs a loan, looks scared and confused

Unsure whether partey or Jorginho should play 6 or 8? But not Xhaka.

Went to the game, felt deserved and important

Chris Red

Player:Ødegaard
Yup but he also had a fantastic opportunity to score thanks to a marvellous pass from Ødegaard, and he did ****.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Yup but he also had a fantastic opportunity to score thanks to a marvellous pass from Ødegaard, and he did ****.
He still had a lot to do. Unlike the reverse scenario where Eddie played it to Ødegaard who had space and half a goal to aim at yet missed the target.

If we didn't win we'd over analyse the missed chances we didn't take. Thankfully we won. Eddie is getting into the right positions, goals will follow.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

The moment Ramsdale made that instinctive save to keep the match on an even keel, I knew we'd sneak it at the death & what a sweet win it was coupled with City drawing late on at Forest :drool:

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Actually they would have been offside - luckily the officials/VAR had a madness and for once got it right by deciding that their positioning hadn’t interferes with play from the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup

Latest posts

Top Bottom