• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2022/23

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Squad plan thoughts for next season. This is 21 outfield players and 3 goalkeepers.

Arteta might buy a more fitting inverted LB, but it won't cost a forture as Tierney will bring a good fee. I expect Fresneda to be bought for RB, and the youngsters BNC and Walters to go on loan.

Will Jesus be the future rotation for Saka as RW, or even LW, rather than a top winger acquisition?

There would be one more space if one wants 25 player squad for an UCL season. Zinchenko, Tomiyasu, Partey and ESR are all injury-prone players, so you would need more players than usual. Currently these guys can be counted as half a player in a season basically, which would be then 19 outfield players and 3 GK's, which is something like City has this season.

Thoughts? I wonder if Arsenal would get rid of Jorginho after 6 months, if they still have the funds and will to go for two top midfielders, as the funds might allow it.

GK: Ramsdale, Turner, Hein

LB: Zinchenko, Tierney/LB?

LCB: Gabriel, Kiwior

RCB: Saliba, Tomiyasu

RB: White, Fresneda?

DMF: Partey, Rice?, Jorginho

LCM: Xhaka, ESR

RCM: Ødegaard, Vieira

LW: Martinelli, Trossard

RW: Saka, (Jesus)

ST: Jesus, Nketiah, Balogun

New players:

Fresneda 15 million pounds 70k

LB Tierney fee + 10 million pounds?

Rice/Caicedo/similar 100 million pounds 200k

Total = 125 million pounds 270k per week
Not many left backs are going to play for free. Lol

Sparrahork

To me it's quite obvious what to do with our squad. Only thing I'm uncertain about is RW.

What's more interesting to me is how do we integrate the biggest prospects of our academy into the squad long term without sacrificing too much competition in the squad.

For example, I hope that Patino has a clear path to the team. That would mean we can't buy two marquee midfielders (assuming Partey and Xhaka stay) because he'd be behind 4 players (let's assume Rice and Caicedo, although I see them both as 6's) for two positions who we'll have a hard time keeping happy as it is (5 if you count Jorginho). Slighly behind him is Lewis-Skelly.

Another long term prospect is Cozier-Duberry. Not saying he'll definitely make it, but if we sign that marquee winger everyone wants, we'll have Saka, Martinelli, Trossard and Leao (for the sake of it) ahead of him in the pecking order as well as Jesus who could play out wide if we need to rotate and give Nketiah gametime. I think 90% of the time we'll be able to line-up a really strong front 3 with just Saka, Martinelli, Trossard, Nketiah and Jesus.

To me, depth signings rarely are a significant improvement on the best prospects of our academy. They also potentially represent a lot of value at little to no cost (Willock, Iwobi), so there is a lot of upside. Lastly they are useful for squad management because they don't take up non-HG spots and won't be on huge wages for a back-up (like Mari, Cedric, etc.).

That's why I would advocate some targeted signings that really improve our squad depth/competition at obvious gaps in our squad (CM, fullback) while refraining from buying too many players in terms of quantity. In that regard I'm becoming more and more sceptical of the Vieira signing, for example. Not saying he's bad, but we've spent €35m on him and I'm not sure if it would be such a drop in quality to give his minutes to Patino/Cozier-Duberry instead. Meanwhile we can't use that €35m on a signing like Bellingham.

A lot of us are fearful of injuries, but in a well-oiled machine they can represent opportunities for our own internal talents to show what they are made off. Some of the recent examples at other clubs are Lewis Hall, Rico Lewis, Evan Ferguson etc. (also wonder why Chelsea hasn't used Colwill for example).
To me it's quite obvious what to do with our squad. Only thing I'm uncertain about is RW.

What's more interesting to me is how do we integrate the biggest prospects of our academy into the squad long term without sacrificing too much competition in the squad.

For example, I hope that Patino has a clear path to the team. That would mean we can't buy two marquee midfielders (assuming Partey and Xhaka stay) because he'd be behind 4 players (let's assume Rice and Caicedo, although I see them both as 6's) for two positions who we'll have a hard time keeping happy as it is (5 if you count Jorginho). Slighly behind him is Lewis-Skelly.

Another long term prospect is Cozier-Duberry. Not saying he'll definitely make it, but if we sign that marquee winger everyone wants, we'll have Saka, Martinelli, Trossard and Leao (for the sake of it) ahead of him in the pecking order as well as Jesus who could play out wide if we need to rotate and give Nketiah gametime. I think 90% of the time we'll be able to line-up a really strong front 3 with just Saka, Martinelli, Trossard, Nketiah and Jesus.

To me, depth signings rarely are a significant improvement on the best prospects of our academy. They also potentially represent a lot of value at little to no cost (Willock, Iwobi), so there is a lot of upside. Lastly they are useful for squad management because they don't take up non-HG spots and won't be on huge wages for a back-up (like Mari, Cedric, etc.).

That's why I would advocate some targeted signings that really improve our squad depth/competition at obvious gaps in our squad (CM, fullback) while refraining from buying too many players in terms of quantity. In that regard I'm becoming more and more sceptical of the Vieira signing, for example. Not saying he's bad, but we've spent €35m on him and I'm not sure if it would be such a drop in quality to give his minutes to Patino/Cozier-Duberry instead. Meanwhile we can't use that €35m on a signing like Bellingham.

A lot of us are fearful of injuries, but in a well-oiled machine they can represent opportunities for our own internal talents to show what they are made off. Some of the recent examples at other clubs are Lewis Hall, Rico Lewis, Evan Ferguson etc. (also wonder why Chelsea hasn't used Colwill for example).
Excellent post, so many here seem to forget you need a pathway for youngsters to the first team, otherwise the really promising ones look elsewhere when time for a professional contract, with no return for the club. Fans also adore home grown talent, it is also very useful given home grown quotas in domestic and European squads.

Saka may not have made it with us if Willian had not been such an abject failure, Eddie would be at palace now if auba and laca hadn't fallen off cliffs.

We should be able to identify the real talent coming through and plan ahead to be strong but offer them a route in rather than thinking what could have been when hearing their name at another club.

For that reason I too feel one big midfielder this year, delay a second until a year (or two) later based on how the current batch decline and patino ascends. Winger too we have some potential in the youth team so it may be an error to do overkill and sign another one, especially with others able to cover Saka if not playing.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Saw someone post this on YT in the comment fields:

Just realized Arteta has 5 international captains in midfield Ødegaard(Norway), Partey(Ghana), Xhaka(Switzerland), Zichenko(Ukraine) and now Jorginho(Italy).

Really nice observation and not a bad group of players!
Strange how quickly things change given just over 2 years ago the best option we had was Auba

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Excellent post, so many here seem to forget you need a pathway for youngsters to the first team, otherwise the really promising ones look elsewhere when time for a professional contract, with no return for the club. Fans also adore home grown talent, it is also very useful given home grown quotas in domestic and European squads.

Saka may not have made it with us if Willian had not been such an abject failure, Eddie would be at palace now if auba and laca hadn't fallen off cliffs.

We should be able to identify the real talent coming through and plan ahead to be strong but offer them a route in rather than thinking what could have been when hearing their name at another club.

For that reason I too feel one big midfielder this year, delay a second until a year (or two) later based on how the current batch decline and patino ascends. Winger too we have some potential in the youth team so it may be an error to do overkill and sign another one, especially with others able to cover Saka if not playing.
That's a good point, so maybe with Jorginho they now plan to to get only one top midfielder next summer, a RB and maybe a LB. That's like 125 million pounds if Tierney leaves, so it's enough for one summer, and keeps some funds available if there is a need. Will be interesting to see what they do.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

That's a good point, so maybe with Jorginho they now plan to to get only one top midfielder next summer, a RB and maybe a LB. That's like 125 million pounds if Tierney leaves, so it's enough for one summer, and keeps some funds available if there is a need. Will be interesting to see what they do.
Very good points. With the current youngsters out on loan and doing well Edu and Arteta need to be careful not loading the squad too heavy with players. Think us giving our own youngsters a shot vitally important. As fans we all also love those homegrown talents. They are our boys!

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Which players in the 1st team do you think is the most important players to replace? Personally I find it hard to pick one. Martinelli seems to be on trial right now, other than that it's not easy.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Which players in the 1st team do you think is the most important players to replace? Personally I find it hard to pick one. Martinelli seems to be on trial right now, other than that it's not easy.
We need to replace Partey, Xhaka and bring in another number 9 who will compete with Jesus. Jesus can play out wide in some games so it doesn't mean he is dropped.

We also need possibly a RB/LB as well.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
We need to replace Partey, Xhaka and bring in another number 9 who will compete with Jesus. Jesus can play out wide in some games so it doesn't mean he is dropped.

We also need possibly a RB/LB as well.
Do you feel like Balogun could be someone for the 9 spot with Nketiah? Or just sell both?

Personally i think Balogun might have something being just 21. A goal per 114' is quite the feat at that age

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Do you feel like Balogun could be someone for the 9 spot with Nketiah? Or just sell both?

Personally i think Balogun might have something being just 21. A goal per 114' is quite the feat at that age
No idea mate. All I know is we need a better midfield and a deadlier option in the front line.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
I think it's pretty clear what we need & it's been discussed at length here.

Partey has been great this season but his susceptibility to injury holds him & the team back. It's an issue.

Eddie. Hes just not the answer. Personally I think Toney would be perfect for us. I'd like Balo to be given a chance too.

We desperately need another RW option. Saka cant play every game.

Xhaka should be phased out next season. Hes served his purpose & served us well for the most part. Reckon we'll pick up Zubimendi in the summer.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
It still feels there are so many holes in the squad to fill to feel we can consistently challenge against a peak city/utd/pool. Crazy thing to say given our current position and the points we gained in the first half of the season.
The fact we have by far the lowest number of starting line change ups and latest substitutions across the entire league (as a top 6 club) is pretty absurd. Some might say this is due to Arteta, but everytime there has been rotation, the drop off in performance has been significant. He has little trust in our attacking and midfield options off the bench.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Our squad currently in the best state since long time you can easily notice what areas in summer we focus on.

Apart RW and CM i really don't know what more we'll do likely RB and LB if Tierney leave

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Our squad currently in the best state since long time you can easily notice what areas in summer we focus on.

Apart RW and CM i really don't know what more we'll do likely RB and LB if Tierney leave

RW: Raphina, Diaby or Williams
CM: Rice Rice Baby
RB: Fresneda

Three signings I think we need before departures, then let's see who may leave.

AmeriGooner

So for the run in, if everyone is healthy, Mik has some big decisions: out of Saka, Martinelli, Trossard and Jesus you can only start 3. Who gets left out?

And then on the bench: You have ESR, Vieira, Nelson, Nketiah and whomever doesnt start from the above group. At least one doesn’t even make the squad. Who would yall bench and who would you leave out entirely?

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

So for the run in, if everyone is healthy, Mik has some big decisions: out of Saka, Martinelli, Trossard and Jesus you can only start 3. Who gets left out?

And then on the bench: You have ESR, Vieira, Nelson, Nketiah and whomever doesnt start from the above group. At least one doesn’t even make the squad. Who would yall bench and who would you leave out entirely?
If Jesus gets back to his form I reckon Trossard will play the role of super sub and potentially rotating with Martinelli for a couple of games.

On current form it should probably be ESR who misses out, but I have a feeling it’ll be Nelson despite being the best of them right now

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom