• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2022/23

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Martinelli (98, Finishing 99) --- Jesus (98, Finishing 1) ----- Saka (90, Finishing 94)
Xhaka (97) --- Partey (81) --- Ødegaard (99, Finishing 97)
Zinchenko (90) - Gabriel (99) - Saliba (94) - White (89)
Ramdale (17)

I think it is clearly that Arsenal's weakest point are Ramsdale and Partey (Jorginho would work well in the double pivot, Trossard isn't rated well by the formula, but was rated before). So, Arsenal priority should be replace Partey and Ramsdale in the XI to reaches better top level and improves the depth (at least one more midfielder and one defender who can cover all positions).... especially in the defense (Kiwior and Holdind are terrible according to Macro Football), then Arsenal will need another playmaker or creative B2B... and Maybe consider to sell Nketiah to buy someone like Sorloth too or Mitrovic or Toney.

HaffBR

Mike Maignan
Manuel Locatelli
Brahim Diaz
Alexander Sorloth

Names may suit Arsenal's pretension. I rather Mason Mount and Ivan Toney instead of Brahim and Sorloth, but they will be too expensive for Arsenal if in mind Locatelli and Maignan.

Last edited:

ptrcopp

Martinelli (98, Finishing 99) --- Jesus (98, Finishing 1) ----- Saka (90, Finishing 94)
Xhaka (97) --- Partey (81) --- Ødegaard (99, Finishing 97)
Zinchenko (90) - Gabriel (99) - Saliba (94) - White (89)
Ramdale (17)

I think it is clearly that Arsenal's weakest point are Ramsdale and Partey (Jorginho would work well in the double pivot, Trossard isn't rated well by the formula, but was rated before). So, Arsenal priority should be replace Partey and Ramsdale in the XI to reaches better top level and improves the depth (at least one more midfielder and one defender who can cover all positions).... especially in the defense (Kiwior and Holdind are terrible according to Macro Football), then Arsenal will need another playmaker or creative B2B... and Maybe consider to sell Nketiah to buy someone like Sorloth too or Mitrovic or Toney.

This overall rating is very poor. I also don’t really understand how it is worked out. You have Jesus who is overall 98 but 1 on finishing yet he is a striker. He seems to get the overal from the amount he shoots.

HaffBR

This overall rating is very poor. I also don’t really understand how it is worked out. You have Jesus who is overall 98 but 1 on finishing yet he is a striker. He seems to get the overal from the amount he shoots.

Basically it seems that Jesus improving Arsenal's chances of winning (the team is producing more chances and conceding less chances with him on the pitch rather than everyone else, but he isn't the guy who is converting these chances duo to his poor finishing, or, in other words, he is elevating Arsenal's floor, but not the ceiling... how he has been a mediocre/bad finisher for so long, I think he should be more of a playmaker forward rather taking it for himself, but that's on the player... anyway he makes Arsenal function better overall thus he is still an excellent player even if frustrating).

TheDrunkenMaster

Mike Maignan
Manuel Locatelli
Brahim Diaz
Alexander Sorloth

Names may suit Arsenal's pretension. I rather Mason Mount and Ivan Toney instead of Brahim and Sorloth, but they will be too expensive for Arsenal if in mind Locatelli and Maignan.
Sorloth? Is this supposed to be a joke?

NZgunner

according to these stats, Ramsdale is by far the worst keeper we've had in the last few years by an absolutely huge margin

1682901504714.png
1682901534454.png
1682901585297.png

at least he looks better than Southampton's

1682901890890.png

but I can't help but feel that these stats are just too arcane to be useful

HaffBR

Well, Ramsdale is above average with his feet that maybe traduces in a better offensive impact than both Leno and Martinez, but that doesn't mean he is good at anything else, ie leadership, mentality, security, shot stopping, set pieces, crosses etc. That can be verified by outcome data (plus minus) or even in event data as well as eye test.

I think improving on Ramsdale should be a priority for Arsenal. Usually you can get better value for money with GK and defenders and GK is what Arsenal needs (remember of Alisson + VDJ for Liverpool). Instead of dropping 100+ million for Leão or 120 for Osimhen, just drop 70 or 80 for someone like Mike Maignan - a GK with good track record and reputation. Arsenal needs to be smart and strict on their demands, Ramsdale was a good step, but hopelly not the final one.

NZgunner

I think this is trying to money-ball it too much - Ramsdale hasn't been anything like as bad for us as those stats try to show

I thought it was also pretty funny how Trossard rated, from the overall minutes it includes time with Brighton this season as well

1682908699394.png

HaffBR

I mean part of winning big trophies is having a elite GK, just look at Courtois last season in the UCL for Real Madrid. He saved all. Neuer, Alisson etc.

ptrcopp

There are issues with Ramsdale (he always seems to step or jump before a shot for example) but the idea he is that much worse even for saves than our previous GKs isn’t true. The raw stats don’t bare that.

The idea that a striker could be finishing 1 and still have an overall of 99 also doesn’t make sense.

“weighted for the player’s minutes played and the share of their team’s shots taken when the player is on the pitch.”

Why would you weight an overall score for the amount of shots? No interest in whether they were scored or even the quality of chance.

This also shows why Trossard isn’t high because his minutes played hasn’t been high, yet when he started we were on a run of 7 wins, scoring 21 goals in those games. Again it’s a silly thing to weight for.

HaffBR

C'mon guys, that isn't that difficult. In fact they use expected goals and actual goals for and against (that is based on shots anyway).... Trossard is being punished by his final time at Brighton I think, if you see by Opta data, his expected goals and goals difference with Brighton this season was been horrible, of course we know the context tho and off-pitch behaviours aren't analysed by the model. Anyway, Trossard was rated higher before something Ramsdale never did.

I particularly find the model much more interesting than analysing event data - or on-ball data - in a broken way. Model analyses the outcome, in a weighted way. So intangible are included, not only quantity like the usual data. About Jesus, he is rated high by similar methods (who uses outcome data, plus-minus types)

etc
You can't replace Jesus with any center forward who is good at scoring goals and expects to be better. Sounds awful, but thats the reality. Jesus is like a excellent player in many ways people don't even know.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He built the squad years ago and was always in a position to buy top talent on the market and he kept them for a long time.

Mahrez, Sane, Bernardo, these are 100M plus transfers today and they've dodged the hyperinflation of recent years. The market has changed, and once they start replacing some of their older players, it's gonna cost...

Think it was Mourinho who once called it inheritance, and I totally agree with him. Teams that are rebuilding today (United, LIverpool, Chelsea), they will pay insane money for mediocre players

Tnegs

Putting aside the small matter of them breaching FFP rules and cheating to raise money beyond their means in the first place, I think recruitment at City has generally been excellent. They have been mostly spot on with the type of player they have brought it and of course having the best manager in the world to develop them helps too.

You look at Utd and Chelsea as examples of how not to spend money with how much has been wasted on big names/hype players that never fit the system or managers requirements in the first place and by comparison City are doing really well. Credit where it’s due and now let’s move on to a points deduction for cheating.

balthazar

We now have a settled starting 11, if everyone is fit.

We need to keep improving to beat city. Who’s Weakest Link?

ptrcopp

Rebuilding a squad for £445m is easy when you’ve got assets to sell and you have teams like Barca who are eager to pay over the odds for players like Torres, despite their financial crises. Chelsea also paid £50m for Sterling.

They've massively overpaid for players like Grealish and Stones at the time. But they’ve also attracted players on lower fees because of deals in their contracts, like Haaland. Because can offer trophies and we all know pay the highest salary going they will always be the option chosen.

We have no players worth anything before this season.

To add to that, our total squad cost is still far below City’s. We sit 5th and are closer to Newcastle in 6th that’s Liverpool in 4th. Pretty sure this argument used to be on this forum!

We have done exceptionally well this season. City have come where they should.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady
Top Bottom