• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

07/08 Arsenal vs 22/23

Which one is better?

• Total voters

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The days when shef United and Burnley made Europe was the golden days they said. Burnley couldn’t even get past pre qualifying stage in Europa league after finishing 7th in the league
Nobody said it was the golden days.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I hate threads like this. Completely subjective in the first place, define “better” fs. It’s also practically impossible to do an honest comparison across such a long period of time when the game has evolved/mutated so much.

You end up going “oh well if we control for improvements in diet/physical training, changes in rules, and tactical evolutions like pressing then…” like what’s the point in that case?

They’re both good (though not great) teams and we’ve had the pleasure of supporting both through ups and downs. Just enjoy it ffs

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

I hate threads like this. Completely subjective in the first place, define “better” fs. It’s also practically impossible to do an honest comparison across such a long period of time when the game has evolved/mutated so much.

You end up going “oh well if we control for improvements in diet/physical training, changes in rules, and tactical evolutions like pressing then…” like what’s the point in that case?

They’re both good (though not great) teams and we’ve had the pleasure of supporting both through ups and downs. Just enjoy it ffs

The title of the thread suggests you come in here and offer an opinion of said title. If you don’t have an opinion/don’t feel it’s necessary talking about it and “just want to enjoy it ffs” then I don’t understand the post critiquing people who are?

It’s like going into the Rice thread and saying why is this thread here just enjoy the player!!

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

The title of the thread suggests you come in here and offer an opinion of said title. If you don’t have an opinion/don’t feel it’s necessary talking about it and “just want to enjoy it ffs” then I don’t understand the post critiquing people who are?

It’s like going into the Rice thread and saying why is this thread here just enjoy the player!!

Yeah… and my opinion of the title is that it’s silly. Am I not entitled to state that opinion here like everyone else?

Have I criticised anyone in that post? No…

So what’s your point exactly?

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Yeah… and my opinion of the title is that it’s silly. Am I not entitled to state that opinion here like everyone else?

Have I criticised anyone in that post? No…

So what’s your point exactly?

I just think it’s completely unnecessary when there’s a great debate going on about previous seasons.

As you were son.

GoonerJay24

Billionaires and coaches don’t affect the teams? What a dumb statement you think City and Chelsea are where they are today because a bunch of ballers woke up one day and decided they wanted to play for these nothing teams?

Anyway I’m not going to remain at your level with the childish insults. I’ve got nothing more to say to someone who can’t hold a conversation like a regular adult.

Hey, you insulted first but whatever. I think all these discussions are pointless or shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway because ultimately football is subjective with differing opinions.

Personally, I just dislike people disrespecting our previous Emirates teams. I think Wenger and the players did fantastic given the financial constraints. That's all for now, peace.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It is funny how the attacking prowess of previous Arsenal sides gets bought up.

Yet last seasons side with Jesus / Eddie leading the line outscored all of them and there's a good chance we beat that record this year with Havertz playing a significant role :lol:

Listen to Gdeep and our other attackers such as Saka, Ødegaard, Martinelli etc are all average or overrated by Arsenal fans.

Makes you wonder how we can possibly be scoring the highest amount of goals we've ever scored in a PL season with so many average / overrated players.
The league is weak. Tag me next time.

GDeep™

League is very weak

As I said before, we all supported/support both teams. Don’t know why people get rattled if I’m not my knees sucking off the current lot non stop.

I don’t rate this team, none of them are great players and they haven’t won anything either. The last time we won something was with a team of players from a different regime.

Tnegs

Hey, you insulted first but whatever. I think all these discussions are pointless or shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway because ultimately football is subjective with differing opinions.

Personally, I just dislike people disrespecting our previous Emirates teams. I think Wenger and the players did fantastic given the financial constraints. That's all for now, peace.

These discussions do have a tendency to drift into ugly territory and get a bit silly when we get carried away. No hard feelings mate.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

As I said before, we all supported/support both teams. Don’t know why people get rattled if I’m not my knees sucking off the current lot non stop.

I don’t rate this team, none of them are great players and they haven’t won anything either. The last time we won something was with a team of players from a different regime.

I’m just saying it’s not an honest comparison, not saying anything about which is better.

For me 07/08 was much more impressive given the constraints we were working under at the time. But this goes back to why it’s a bit daft, there’s a laundry list of what if’s / variables to control to do an actual comparison that stands up to any kind of scrutiny:

- what if Arsène had the same kind of budgetary constraints as Arteta (or vice versa)
- what if we assume that the 07/08 team had the same access to improved diet/ health / strength and conditioning as the current batch
- what if we assume 0708 team were drilled in both aggressive pressing / counter pressing / press evasion tactics
- what if we normalise for the deviation in overall quality of the league? (I know you think the current league is an all time low but in 07/08 we had wonderful teams like Wigan, Derby, Middlesborough. Heck even crap like Birmingham. Oh wait… I see…)

To many what if’s. At some point you just go… what if we have a different debate we can actually have honest views on?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
It is funny how the attacking prowess of previous Arsenal sides gets bought up.

Yet last seasons side with Jesus / Eddie leading the line outscored all of them and there's a good chance we beat that record this year with Havertz playing a significant role :lol:

Listen to Gdeep and our other attackers such as Saka, Ødegaard, Martinelli etc are all average or overrated by Arsenal fans.

Makes you wonder how we can possibly be scoring the highest amount of goals we've ever scored in a PL season with so many average / overrated players.
That's one of the most ignorant takes yet. Brighton scored as many goals last season as Arsenal in 07/08, guess that means Maupay Welbeck and Groß are as good as Adebayor RVP and Cesc.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Its harder to defend these days because defenders are shackled with the new bullshit rules.

Not taking anything away from our attack. But no way this side score 88 goals 15 years ago. The likes of Stoke and Bolton would have kicked the living daylight out of them and ref wouldn't have lifted a finger.

Last edited:

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

That's one of the most ignorant takes yet. Brighton scored as many goals last season as Arsenal in 07/08, guess that means Maupay Welbeck and Groß are as good as Adebayor RVP and Cesc.

This is one of the other factors you need to normalise for.

07/08 was a low scoring year, average of 2.6 goals per game in the pl. This year it’s like 3.4 so far or sth nuts. So a proper statistician would multiply the 07/08 teams goal tally by around 25-30% to account for this.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Like defenders are even good today, ffs.

Take away like the top 3 teams in this league, and the rest of the defenders playing right now all look like a CB partnership of 2 @Riou 's at the back 🤣

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom