• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

07/08 Arsenal vs 22/23

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

What people get confused with is entertainment factor and the actually quality / ability of the side.

Yes, 07/08 was generally more free flowing and fun to watch because it was much less structured and much more individual leeway was given.

That also brings massive pitfalls as we know from watching that era. This current side would eat it alive. 07/08 would be far too naive to live with this side.

There's a reason no-one is playing like that 07/08 side. You win more matches being more structured.

This team is more entertaining imo. Back in 2008 the side wasn’t that exciting to watch iirc.

We were often quite defensive with Eboue starting right mid and a pure destroyer in Flamini starting midfield.

The reason we lost the title that year imo is that we couldn’t break down teams after Christmas.

We had a great defence but even with Cesc we struggled badly to unlock teams who camped out for a draw.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

You didn’t watch Cesc, Robin, Hlbeb, Rosicky, Nasri etc? Those were much more talented players. This guys couldn’t lace their boots.
Left in 2011, 2012, 2008, 2016 (but always injured) and finally 2012.

With the exception of one player who rarely featured everyone you listed left over 10 years ago. How can you seriously say this is the poorest Arsenal team youve seen and not named any players from any team in the last 10 years. Attention seeking much?

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Disagree with this.

The 07/08 team had a few technical ballers in midfield (Cesc, Hleb, Rosicky), but the technical quality in less glamorous positions was miles off what you’d expect today.

Imagine watching Almunia, Clichy and Sagna trying to play out from the back. Maybe Walcott could drop in to help out?

Classic case of over-romanticising the past.
Nostalgia merchant @Riou in the mud

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
What people get confused with is entertainment factor vs the actually quality / ability of the side. It's not the same thing.

Yes, 07/08 was generally more free flowing and fun to watch because it was much less structured and much more individual leeway was given.

That also brings massive pitfalls as we know from watching that era. This current side would eat it alive. 07/08 would be far too naive to live with this side.

There's a reason no-one is playing like that 07/08 side. You win more matches being more structured.
Nonsense, we were pretty defensive in loads of games that season. That team lost three games all season and you're chatting about lack of structure.

Can see people preferring either side but "eat it alive" is some reactionary yer da garbage, that team with less corrupt refs would've beaten out the eventual CL winner to the league title, kicked the reigning CL winner out on their turf, would've reached a CL semi final if it weren't for more match fixing etc, all despite losing numerous starters to injury during the season.

Absolute lack of respect and football knowledge but to be expected from someone who started watching Arsenal after registering here in 2020.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Nonsense, we were pretty defensive in loads of games that season. That team lost three games all season and you're chatting about lack of structure.

Can see people preferring either side but "eat it alive" is some reactionary yer da garbage, that team with less corrupt refs would've beaten out the eventual CL winner to the league title, kicked the reigning CL winner out on their turf, would've reached a CL semi final if it weren't for more match fixing etc, all despite losing numerous starters to injury during the season.

Absolute lack of respect and football knowledge but to be expected from someone who started watching Arsenal after registering here in 2020.

However you need to justify that season to cope, injuries, corrupt refs, match fixing etc, AKA excuses, that side bottled it when it really mattered.

Smashed by Man Utd in the FA Cup 5-0. Smashed by Sp**s ( of all teams) in the League Cup semi's 6-2 on aggregate. Bottled the PL title. When the going got tough that side crumpled like a dry leaf every time and in spectacular fashion. I've seen more backbone on a jellyfish.

The only people who get erect for that side are the ones who weren't around when we had a genuinely great side with a winning mentality. 07/08 was a good side, with a few exceptional players. No more than that.

Almunia in goal, Senderos at CB, Eboue at RB, Flamini at DM. Even nostalgia isn't going to get me excited about those guys as week in week out starters. Other than Ade no player scored more than 7 PL goals that season. He and Cesc really carried that side.

And yeah, we only lost 3 matches that PL season. We also won 24 games in total. We threw away so many points to silly draws that year. We're on 21 wins this season with 11 matches to go. We will end up with more goals, better GD and points too most likely.

Last edited:

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
However you need to justify that season to cope, injuries, corrupt refs, match fixing etc, AKA excuses, that side bottled it when it really mattered.

Smashed by Man Utd in the FA Cup 5-0. Smashed by Sp**s ( of all teams) in the League Cup semi's 6-2 on aggregate. Bottled the PL title. When the going got tough that side crumpled like a dry leaf every time.

The only people who get erect for that side are the ones who weren't around when we had a genuinely great side with a winning mentality. 07/08 was a good side, with a few exceptional players. No more than that.

Almunia in goal, Senderos at CB, Eboue at RB, Flamini at DM. Even nostalgia isn't going to get me excited about those guys as week in week out starters. Other than Ade no player scored more than 7 PL goals that season. He and Cesc really carried that side.

And yeah, we only lost 3 matches that PL season. We also won 24 games in total. We threw away so many points to silly draws that year. We're on 21 wins this season with 11 matches to go. We will end up with more goals, better GD and points too most likely.
We haven't won anything with this side either so far. And while I'm hopeful it's not like Arteta doesn't have history of bottling it, Villarreal 18 months ago, Newcastle and Sp**s last season.

That summary of the players you've written there is even more grounds to rate that team in its entirety. So many players who didn't do much afterwards but were on par all season with a United side led by Ronaldo Rooney Tevez, Chelsea at their best etc.

Also you won't know because you were probably following Darts and professional Pub quiz players but Flamini in 2008 was a class player.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Until and unless this team surpasses 2007-08 season's 83 points tally it's not a better side. When/if it happens, sure.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Can't believe we had Almunia in goal back then, Wenger really ****ed himself over with that one.

Anyway. We're on fine course to get 72 points from 29 games, as I've said a couple of weeks back. That will put us firmly in the driving seat.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Smashed by Man Utd in the FA Cup 5-0. Smashed by Sp**s ( of all teams) in the League Cup semi's 6-2 on aggregate. Bottled the PL title. When the going got tough that side crumpled like a dry leaf every time and in spectacular fashion. I've seen more backbone on a jellyfish.

Bit unfair , Almunia ,Senderos , Flamini , Eboue formed a defence that set a CL record for clean sheets . That side also beat AC Milan that season a feat no other English side had acheieved . That side played against sides like Stoke and Bolton and others who were given all sorts of leeway as far as fouls . I saw Hleb once nearly have his ankle broken in the box against West Ham and the ref wave play on 🤣. We were leading the league till that horrendous leg break . There aren't many on here who would have the stomach to carry on having watched that live .
Honestly do you think this team would have survived in the league 07/08 ? I can see Ødegaard and Vieira being folded like a tin can . Saka the way he plays at some stage would have been stretchered off . It was a different era and that was the first ever mosquito fleet in the PL . It's only after 2013/2014 that flair players were afforded protection .
I really don't know who would have won , but that 2007/2008 side were pioneers in that possession style of play in this Country Interchangeable playmakers playing across the front line ,which became so vaunted when City started doing it with Silva and co .
They aren't even my favourite Arsenal side but they deserve respect .

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Until and unless this team surpasses 2007-08 season's 83 points tally it's not a better side. When/if it happens, sure.

Arteta when he wins the Prem and Europa Double this season, but only gets 82 points and is rated below a trophy-less Arsenal team...

E94PRC0VgAEDpGy.jpg

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
. That side played against sides like Stoke and Bolton and others who were given all sorts of leeway as far as fouls . I saw Hleb once nearly have his ankle broken in the box against West Ham and the ref wave play on 🤣. We were leading the league till that horrendous leg break . There aren't many on here who would have the stomach to carry on having watched that live .
Honestly do you think this team would have survived in the league 07/08 ? I can see Ødegaard and Vieira being folded like a tin can . Saka the way he plays at some stage would have been stretchered off . It was a different era and that was the first ever mosquito fleet in the PL . It's only after 2013/2014 that flair players were afforded protection .
I agree with you, but the funny thing about this is fans who watched the 87/88 season would have told you the games 'gone soft' in 07/08. Still maintain Fergie was behind the Eduaro massacre or at least jokingly told Alex McLeish to 'get stuck in' over a glass of red.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Can't believe we had Almunia in goal back then, Wenger really ****ed himself over with that one.

Anyway. We're on fine course to get 72 points from 29 games, as I've said a couple of weeks back. That will put us firmly in the driving seat.
Ramsdale is not much better tbh. He just has better defence

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Arteta when he wins the Prem and Europa Double this season, but only gets 82 points and is rated below a trophy-less Arsenal team...

E94PRC0VgAEDpGy.jpg
If we win the title with 82 points I'll run naked on the streets. Not that anyone cares but I'll still do it

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I agree with what @celestis posted. I think people are underestimating how good our rivals were in 07/08. I really rate this current team but let’s be serious the competition from our rivals in the PL is nothing like back then. This City side is probably one of their worst in recent years whilst the sides below would completely overpower teams:

w075346dkbj31.jpg

p8iplb4bobj31.jpg

Would be interesting to see how this current side would fair in that era.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Bit unfair , Almunia ,Senderos , Flamini , Eboue formed a defence that set a CL record for clean sheets . That side also beat AC Milan that season a feat no other English side had acheieved . That side played against sides like Stoke and Bolton and others who were given all sorts of leeway as far as fouls . I saw Hleb once nearly have his ankle broken in the box against West Ham and the ref wave play on 🤣. We were leading the league till that horrendous leg break . There aren't many on here who would have the stomach to carry on having watched that live .
I really don't know who would have won , but that 2007/2008 side were pioneers in that possession style of play in this Country Interchangeable playmakers playing across the front line ,which became so vaunted when City started doing it with Silva and co .
They aren't even my favourite Arsenal side but they deserve respect .

The Champions League record in 05-06 was more down to Lehmann, Gilberto and especially Kolo Toure (who was unbelievable that season in all our Champions League games) than the players mentioned.

2008 was a very good team (pushed super rich Yanited and Chelski teams all the way, right at the start of the Emirates debt) but just too many holes defensively to be honest...the defeats in the cups were embarrassing really, especially the 6-2 aggregate to Sp**s...showed that team had a soft underbelly to a degree.

Current team is more rounded and would fancy itself to beat them, if the two teams played.

This is our best side since 04/05, no shame to say that about the 07-08 team, which as I said is still a very good team.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I agree with what @celestis posted. I think people are underestimating how good our rivals were in 07/08. I really rate this current team but let’s be serious the competition from our rivals in the PL is nothing like back then. This City side is probably one of their worst in recent years whilst the sides below would completely overpower teams:

w075346dkbj31.jpg

p8iplb4bobj31.jpg

I mean those two teams were in the CL final that year.

If we hadn’t had that stretch of draws we’d have won it even with those close losses away to Chelsea and Utd.

We were a proper side that year. Wenger still throwing absolute heat as a manager.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I agree with you, but the funny thing about this is fans who watched the 87/88 season would have told you the games 'gone soft' in 07/08. Still maintain Fergie was behind the Eduaro massacre or at least jokingly told Alex McLeish to 'get stuck in' over a glass of red.

Yeah definitely it was more physical and you needed a different kind of player back then because the pitches were so bad . It was the dark ages back then 🤣 with English teams banned from European competition , it really set the league back .

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

w075346dkbj31.jpg

p8iplb4bobj31.jpg

Considering Ferguson was managing, we would need VAR, even that wouldn't have helped. Imagine Graham Poll on VAR duty, he'd turn the cameras off.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I mean those two teams were in the CL final that year.

If we hadn’t had that stretch of draws we’d have won it even with those close losses away to Chelsea and Utd.

We were a proper side that year. Wenger still throwing absolute heat as a manager.

Exactly. Had we won it that season, for me it would have been one of our best achievement as a club in a very long time especially with the resources that AW was working with + trumping those two fantastic teams.

Ngl winning the PL this season will be glorious but the real test for me is whether we can replicate it in the CL next season. I know some people are going to say “it’s our first season in the CL, so don’t expect much” but we have to be opportunistic since the rest of Europe is dross right now.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Exactly. Had we won it that season, for me it would have been one of our best achievement as a club in a very long time especially with the resources that AW was working with + trumping those two fantastic teams.

Ngl winning the PL this season will be glorious but the real test for me is whether we can replicate it in the CL next season. I know some people are going to say “it’s our first season in the CL, so don’t expect much” but we have to be opportunistic since the rest of Europe is dross right now.
I actually like one point you made at the end. Of the big clubs in Europe; Arsenal in terms of management, ownership, squad are as settled and primed as any big club. Just how we benefitted this season from turmoil among the English giants we can do the same thing next in CL. The Italians can’t compete we muscle the best of their clubs in Italy for signings. Barca and Real are not the Barca and Real of old. Psg never scares anyone no matter who they sign. City might be getting a massive transfer ban or more. Next season if we keep adding, keep developing, we could topple the power structure in Europe just like we did in England this season.

Even if we finish second god forbid, with youngest side in division, the money there to spend more; I guarantee you none of the giants would want us in a knockout tie like Bayern and Neuer were celebrating being drawn against us last time.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom