• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

07/08 Arsenal vs 22/23

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

The argument that the 07/08 side was technically better than this iteration is a fair one. Technical ability alone doesn't win you Premier Leagues. In fact, I agree with @Blood on the Tracks; this team would just bulldoze the 07/08 team, the 22/23 team has technical ability but also has strength and power that the 07/08 team could only dream of.

Partey would slice that midfield like butter, IMO.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
The argument that the 07/08 side was technically better than this iteration is a fair one. Technical ability alone doesn't win you Premier Leagues. In fact, I agree with @Blood on the Tracks; this team would just bulldoze the 07/08 team, the 22/23 team has technical ability but also has strength and power that the 07/08 team could only dream of.

This side is far more well rounded

IrishGooner93

Pure technical ability the 07 side probably shades it. But everything else , mentality and attitude, physicality , defensively, and even squad depth this side is better. It also probably helps them that they're better coached too in a machine like system that they perform like cogs with their eyes closed.

Last edited:

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Pure technical ability the 07 side probably shades it. But everything else , mentality and attitude, physicality , defensively, and even squad depth this side is better. It also probably helps them that they're better coached too with a machine like system that they perform like cogs with their eyes closed.
Yep we are more of a machine these days than what we used to be where it’s like we were iimprovising and riffing along in a jazz club

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Only possibly Sagna and Hleb, and definitely Cesc and RVP would get into this Arsenal side from the 07/08 team. Rosicky too would see game time. But the likes of Eboue, Clichy, Gallas, Senderos, 07 Gilberto, Flamini, Denilson, Walcott , Bendtner wouldn't even get in the current match day squad
I’d start Saka and Ødegaard over Hleb, with Jesus on the wing to accommodate RvP. I’d even put White at a par with Sagna based on this seasons displays.

Armige

I'll take the current pairing at the back over Gallas and Toure and Partey over anyone who played the DM role that season.
I'd take Cesc over anyone from either side by a mile.

say yes

forum master baiter

Disagree with this.

The 07/08 team had a few technical ballers in midfield (Cesc, Hleb, Rosicky), but the technical quality in less glamorous positions was miles off what you’d expect today.

Imagine watching Almunia, Clichy and Sagna trying to play out from the back. Maybe Walcott could drop in to help out?

Classic case of over-romanticising the past.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Disagree with this.

The 07/08 team had a few technical ballers in midfield (Cesc, Hleb, Rosicky), but the technical quality in less glamorous positions was miles off what you’d expect today.

Imagine watching Almunia, Clichy and Sagna trying to play out from the back. Maybe Walcott could drop in to help out?

Yeah, yesterday was a pretty good example. No need to talk about Zinchenko but Gabriel holds his own, look at Saliba with that left footed cross field pass to Xhaka for goal number 2 and look at Ben White with that left footed cross that Martinelli should have scored. Looks impressive on TV, is absolutely mental if you have ever stood in that position yourself.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Disagree with this.

The football back then looked different. A CB could have useless feet and still be considered great and a GK didnt have to use his feet unless it was absolutely necessary. A different context.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
People talking about the 08 version of RVP like he was already world class. 08 version of RVP would give you half a season if you were lucky and would score in half those games. I would rather keep current Jesus over 08 RVP.

I’d still rather have 08 Adebayor than Jesus though, Ade was a monster

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Disagree with this.

Totally agree with this. When I wrote my post I had those exact players in mind and forgot that we had to rely on absolute dross in other crucial positions.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
What people get confused with is entertainment factor vs the actually quality / ability of the side. It's not the same thing.

Yes, 07/08 was generally more free flowing and fun to watch because it was much less structured and much more individual leeway was given.

That also brings massive pitfalls as we know from watching that era. This current side would eat it alive. 07/08 would be far too naive to live with this side.

There's a reason no-one is playing like that 07/08 side. You win more matches being more structured.

Arsenal Quotes

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom