• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

That stat that @Furious posted a few pages back has floored me actually.

Theo perhaps one of the most underrated Arsenal players of the modern era. Carried the team on his shoulders in the season post RvP in a way Cesc or Alexis probably never could.

say yes

forum master baiter
I argue if you look past just g+a from the two that Giroud was better than Laca. Better hold and link up play. Stronger and more stamina, constantly battling with opposition CBs and tiring them out. Something Laca never does. Giroud worked harder and ran more than Laca. And also my favorite. Giroud offer better defense at set pieces.
Since you asked @BigPoppaPump :

After three seasons of Lacazette I can say with confidence that neither’s productivity is/was consistently good enough to be the leading man here.

Giroud was obviously a better target man and aerial threat, and was a great impact sub from the bench. On the flip side Lacazette is stronger technically and much more useful in possession. His big weakness is that he doesn’t have the physicality to impose himself on PL defences, which is also Giroud’s big advantage over him.

I don’t agree with @hydrofluoric acid ’s stamina point. Giroud had big stamina issues of his own, which is one of the reasons he was so much more effective from the bench, while Laca’s stamina issues are overblown. Hydro’s also definitely wrong about their defensive workrates. You could never build a pressing system around Giroud while Lacazette, for all his faults, works his socks off defensively.

Overall, I think Lacazette is the better footballer and he is much more suited to leading the line for a top club which wants to play an expansive game given his technical ability, mentality and defensive workrate. However, I will happily accept that he is not as large an upgrade on Giroud as I was hoping for, and I have serious doubts as to whether he has the physical capability to ever truly excel in the Prem. Would definitely be in favour of a decent trade if we could arrange it.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Remember when we would argue over Giroud and whether or not he was a donkey?

Good times.

So, what's the verdict? Was he or not?

In his 1st season he definitely was, that 1st miss vs Sunderland is installed into my memory for ever I think.

Though he improved over time, and the technical ability for a big guy became more evident, and was used as decent barndoor for link up play and such.

Never good enough to lead the line for us though.

Aevi

Hale End FC
So, what's the verdict? Was he or not?

In his 1st season he definitely was, that 1st miss vs Sunderland is installed into my memory for ever I think.

Though he improved over time, and the technical ability for a big guy became more evident, and was used as decent barndoor for link up play and such.

Never good enough to lead the line for us though.
Solid player but we needed better.

His goal drought in the 2015/16 season was the second-largest reason we missed out on the title (after our failure to sign a proper CM the previous summer).

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Top 5 seasons by Arsenal players since 1992/1993...

1.Thierry Henry...2003/2004.
2.Dennis Bergkamp...1997/1998.
3.Robert Pires...2001/2002.
4.Alexandre Lacazette...2018/2019.
5.Olivier Giroud...2015/2016.

...facts don't lie, Laca > Giroud...just though.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer

No Ramsey 13/14?

balthazar

just no. you can safely delete number 4 and 5 on your list.
Van Persie 2011-2012, Fabregas 2009-2010.

Aevi

Hale End FC
To replace who?
Our options were Cazorla, Coquelin, Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta, and Flamini.

Cazorla and Coquelin were good together but each limited in their own respects. Ramsey played RW at the time. Wilshere had a massive injury coming into the season. And Arteta and Flamini were clearly passed it. That's an extremely thin and limited set of options, which was reflected in the fact that we collapsed once Cazorla was injured. It got so bad we had to experiment with Chambers in midfield.

Thing is so many of us saw it coming, we were begging for a midfielder in the summer. And all we got was f*cking Cech :lol: That was a legendarily catastrophic summer.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Solid player but we needed better.

His goal drought in the 2015/16 season was the second-largest reason we missed out on the title (after our failure to sign a proper CM the previous summer).
That summer we had midfielders Cazorla, Ramsey, and Wilshere back in training, with Coquelin or Arteta as DM. Back up with Flamini. That's 6 plus Ox and Özil as advanced options. Pretty good by todays standards.

Jack cracked his left fibula in a training incident a few days before the transfer window closed. By the end of November, Coquelin, Cazorla and Arteta all had lengthy injuries. All those posters who said Wenger should have seen that coming and bought yet another midfielder for the squad were talking boll*cks.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
That summer we had midfielders Cazorla, Ramsey, and Wilshere back in training, with Coquelin or Arteta as DM. Back up with Flamini. That's 6 plus Ox and Özil as advanced options. Pretty good by todays standards.

Jack cracked his left fibula in a training incident a few days before the transfer window closed. By the end of November, Coquelin, Cazorla and Arteta all had lengthy injuries. All those posters who said Wenger should have seen that coming and bought yet another midfielder for the squad were talking boll*cks.

Wilshere couldn't be relied upon by 15/16 due to his injuries, Arteta and Flamini were past it and Ramsey had moved more towards an attacking midfielder by 2015...we only had 2 you could trust in Santi and Coq...why is it so hard for you to admit Arsène made a mistake, he doesn't make him not a great manager for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think without doubt that Bergkamp is the most talented player to have played for Arsenal in the past 30 years, for as long as I can remember

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom