• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal-Newcastle Player Ratings and Post Match Discussion

outlaw_member

Established Member
Match Ratings Arsenal vs Newcastle

Fabianski 5

Sagna 6
Squillaci 6
Koscielny 5
Clichy 6

Wilshere 6.5
Song 4
Cesc 3

Walcott 3
Chamakh 3
Nasri 6

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Re: Match Ratings Arsenal vs Newcastle

Fabianski 2

Sagna 6
Squillaci 5
Koscielny 5
Clichy 4
Wilshere 6.5
Song 2
Cesc 2

Walcott 2
Chamakh 2
Nasri 4

-Shaun-

Fabianski 3.5

Sagna 6
Squillaci 5
Koscielny 4.5
Clichy 5

Wilshere 7
Song 4
Cesc 3

Walcott 4
Chamakh 4
Nasri 5

arsmile

Established Member
Fabianski- 3-diddnt have to do anything all game apart from the obvious, timed it so that he had to beat carroll with a standing jump- which he needn’t have had to, but he still should have done given he is actually allowed to use his hands- chamakh did leave carroll to challenge him which he shouldn’t have done because he was with him earlier- but this was a bad aon all fronts- mentally it was the wrong decision to come, technically he got his approach and jump completely wrong, and physically he was not strong enough.

Sagna-4-routinely beaten

Squillaci-6-alright

Koscielny-6- did the right thing re the sending off, could have perhaps fouled him earlier to save himself though, stil I thought it was harsh, otherwise alright- he’s been really unlucky with his reds.

Clichy-6-better

Song-5-average

Wilshere-6-struggled to make an impact but was solid and strong in the tackle

Cesc-3- absolutely awful- I don’t know what kind of exhibition match he thought he was partaking it, he was like a second rate arshavin impersonator with his stupid flicks and first time passes that were never going to work- continually did the wrong thing creatively- and Arsène didn’t help because we took off our other playmakers- wilshere/nasri- leaving the final ball exclusively down to cesc who was not up to it at all today. For the last 20 minutes he kept desperately trying to force it hopelessly

Theo-4- hit the bar, credit for that, otherwise a liability

Nasri-6- thought he was our biggest goal threat- dunno if he was injured, would definitely not have subbed him otherwise

Chamakh- 3- had chances but fluffed them completely, also let carroll have a jump at fabianski for the goal instead if tracking him all the way.

Arshavin-5-came on, got involved, worked hard, but some very poor final balls

Robin-6- a bit of incisiveness and good hold up play but couldn’t make it work

Bendtner-3- not really his fault- but him for jack really disrupted our balance- we were top havey with arsh/robin/nik/theo all ‘waiting’ for something to come through to them from cesc and song..

Main problem was fabianski- I don’t know how much weight you give the error with regards to his status as no.1..but it was bad, thought we coped otherwise defensively in open play- our problems occurred mainly in getting the ball between the midfield and forwards- for all theo gives us he does hinder us in this respect- having said that- we DID create just about enough- saves/crossbars/chamakh having an off day is where we suffered- 1 point would have been respectable for us given newcastle’s admirable performance and our very dodgey one- and it is what we would have got but for fabianski. I also question Arsène’s substitutions- both who he took off and how we set up with who we bought on.

Rorz

Established Member
I actually thought Song had a decent game today. Fabregas played the worst of the midfield three and it didn't help that Chamakh was anonymous up front.

Fabianksi -5
Sagna -6
Koscielny -5 (minus 1 for red card, thought he played ok today)
Squillaci -6
Clichy -6
Wilshere -7
Song -7
Cesc -4
Nasri -5
Chamakh -3
Walcott -6

Arshavin -6
Van Persie -5
Bendtner -4

mo50

Established Member
Re: Match Ratings Arsenal vs Newcastle

Fabianski 4

Sagna 6
Squillaci 5
Koscielny 5
Clichy 6

Wilshere 7
Song 4
Cesc 3

Walcott 4
Chamakh 3
Nasri 5

arsenallegends

Established Member
Fabianski 4 - Could have done better for the only goal of the game

Sagna 6- Solid
Squillaci 5- oK
Koscielny 4 - 3'rd sending off? blunders aren't going away
Clichy 5- OK
Wilshere 6.5 MOTM
Song 5- good 1st half and solid interchange into the back line
Cesc 4- bad movement, pass completion, attitude and leadership
Walcott 4- Couple of good runs but went hiding for most of the game floating meaninglessly between left and right
Chamakh 4 - where was he todaY?
Nasri 5- OK

RVP 6- Thank goodness he's back
Arshavin 6- Like it
Bendtner 5- OK

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Fabianski-5 At fault for the goal but responded quite decently in that his handling was good and took some decent catches...after the horse had bolted

Sagna-5 Meh
Kos- 4 Point off for the red card and let Caroll get free for the goal
Squid-5
Clichy-4 Unconvincing

Song-4 Really sloppy first half, gave the ball away on several occasions, mildly better second
Cesc-3 Worst game from him i've seen
Wilshere-6 Our best player, not saying much sadly

Nasri-5 Forced a good save from Krul, other than that, not much
Walcott-2 Dire
Chamack-2.5 Better than Theo...but not by much

Subs

Shava-6 Showed a bit of spark and tried to get us back in the game
Van Persie-5 Couple of nice touches, good to see him back
Bendy-5 Not much from him really

giuliob

Fabianski 5.5

Sagna 6.5
Squillaci 5
Koscielny 4
Clichy 6

Wilshere 7
Song 5
Cesc 3

Walcott 5
Chamakh 3
Nasri 5.5

AA - 6
RVP - Wrong game to come off the bench
Bendy - 5

AW 2 Only positive was he made substitutions before the 70th minute. Major mistake taking Jack off, unless he was injured.

Y va marquer

Established Member
How do you make sense of a performance like that?

I was buzzing when I saw the team Wenger selected,
I wasn’t underestimating Newcastle by believing that, though they might make it tough for us, we would prevail….

What was I thinking? In hindsight I must have been overestimating what we were capable of.

I couldn’t pick a MOTM from what I saw today. I thought bar possibly Song in the first half and with little moments from Wilshere and Nasri there were no stand out performances.

Squillaci was solid enough in defence I suppose, Kos looked a little erratic and got caught badly leading to his sending off. Sagna and Clichy were unremarkable.

Chamakh was leaden legged and Cesc should not have been started, he’s well short of form and fitness.

Walcott would have been a hero if that ball had been a fraction lower but for the most part he was fairly anonymous and didn’t cause too much trouble for the Newcastle defence.

Fabianski morphed back into Flappyhandski.

Hope they can pick themselves up by Wednesday or we’re in real trouble.

lagos

Established Member
Fabianski 5

Sagna 5.5
Squillaci 5
Koscielny 5
Clichy 5

Wilshere 5.5
Song 5.5
Cesc 3

Walcott 5
Chamakh 1 (obligatory appearance point , only because according to the team sheet, he was on the pitch)
Nasri 6

brady_style

Fabianski 3 - Decent all game yet GK's are judged on a different scale to the rest. They can't afford to make mistakes. He made a school boy error.

Sagna 5- Terrible going forward.

Squillaci 3 - Useless. Won nothing all day. But Newcastle had very few scoring opportunities you will say. That's down to their own ineptitude. I can only judge Squillaci on the defensive skills he displayed today. He displayed a complete inability to challenge in the air. He let his marker get in front of him again n again. The headers he did win ( when Carroll wasn't near him ) he made a complete balls of.

Koscielny 3. Useless. He's young. He might get better. He needs to develop an appetite for heading the ball. He needs to relish the feeling of putting your forehead through a high ball and arcing it back up the pitch. He needs to relish physical battles. His positioning was dire and he turns like a submarine.

Clichy 3 - Desperate.

Wilshere 6.5

Song 5- We needed a warrior in the middle today. Song wasn't up for it.

Cesc 3. Shoudn't have started. He's clearly not recovered from his hamstring.

Walcott 6- He did 't go hiding. No one passed the ****ing ball to him. Was a danger when he got the ball.

Chamakh 4 - Wasn't helped as the midfield was woeful. As was his touch. Nasri 5- OK

RVP 5- Thank goodness he's back
Arshavin 6-
Bendtner 5-

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Flappy 5
Solid performance all in all, but the mistake which led to their goal....no comment.

Clichy 5
Squib 5.5
Kos 5
Sagna 5

Back 4 have been solid as well, apart from the expected problem's of our CBs with Caroll. Kos 0.5 less, because of the red card, which could have been avoided.

Song 5
Fabs 4.5
Jacky 6.5

Poor midfield display today. Lacked nearly everything - penetrative passing, movement, urgency.
Song did nothing wrong but nothing good either, Fabs was just sh*t today, only Jack can held his head high.

Nasri 5.5
Chamakh 4
Theo 4.5

Nasri was the best one out of our attack, which pretty much says all because he hasn't had his best game either. Theo was non-existant apart from his strike early in the second half, and Chamakh was absolutely poor today.

Arsh wanted to do something, which I've to admire.
The game was far too early for Robin, and Bendy didn't do much either.

Arsène 6
Tried everything with his subs, but was IMO wrong to take Nasri and Jacky off.

progman07

Established Member
Wilshere certainly deserves a 7, he won loads of balls and competed well. On another day when Fabianski doesn't fluke in a goal again and Theo's shot goes in, he gets awful lot of praises, deservedly. Just because it didn't happen for us today, he shouldn't be rated lower.

At least that's how I see it.

giuliob

AW: What was he thinking? We lose at home to WBA another newly promoted team, Newcastle comes off a huge derby win, their players are feeling their oats and looking to take their revenge on our CC team, and AW prepares his team like this?

brady_style

If you've got a beast of defence then you've got a great ability to dominate a game.

Newcastle launched ball after ball at our CB's and then flooded our half in search of the breaking second ball.

They did this because they knew

(a) Carrol would win the header

or

(b) Kos or Squillaci would head the ball so badly that it would drop 10 yards short of our own half way line.

Newcastle were emboldened by our ****e defence.

A great defence gives you a strangle hold on a game. They wear the other team down. After every Arsenal attack that breaks down we should get the ball back very very quickly. Our defence should be all over their forwards.

That wasn't the case.

It's really simple. Kos and Squillaci are not physically able to compete at this level.

brady_style

progman07 said:
Wilshere certainly deserves a 7, he won loads of balls and competed well. On another day when Fabianski doesn't fluke in a goal again and Theo's shot goes in, he gets awful lot of praises, deservedly. Just because it didn't happen for us today, he shouldn't be rated lower.

At least that's how I see it.

He didn't fluke in a goal.

It's the type of goal he's been letting in for years now.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
brady_style said:
Squillaci 3 - Useless. Won nothing all day. But Newcastle had very few scoring opportunities you will say. That's down to their own ineptitude. I can only judge Squillaci on the defensive skills he displayed today. He displayed a complete inability to challenge in the air. He let his marker get in front of him again n again. The headers he did win ( when Carroll wasn't near him ) he made a complete balls of.

Koscielny 3. Useless. He's young. He might get better. He needs to develop an appetite for heading the ball. He needs to relish the feeling of putting your forehead through a high ball and arcing it back up the pitch. He needs to relish physical battles. His positioning was dire and he turns like a submarine.
To continue this tête-à-tête, I can now see why some might have thought you had a private 'agenda' with Nasri, since it's clear to me you have one against our CBs. Your big write-ups, especially in comparison to the rest of your ratings, would only convince someone who didn't actually watch the game that they're that far off the mark.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsene Who?

Headlines of English media when Arsène was announced as new manager of Arsenal in 1996

Latest posts

Top Bottom