• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v. AC Milan, Emirates Cup, Sat 31st July 16:20

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I still think we're not ruthless enough in front of goal. Given the number of times we go forward, we really should have a higher conversion rate. We could do with more signings along the spine of the team, but most importantly, our effectiveness needs to improve. We can't afford to miss the type of chances Rosicky and Randall did, and let's be honest, it's quite common for us to drop points after missed chances, and that's what I feel our title challenge will largely rely on.
Song, Fabregas and van Persie were missing - that's a big part of our spine right there.

How you feeling about the Koscielny-Vermaelen partnership now?

ricky1985

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
Nela said:
Unsure if it's been mentioned, but was anyone else surprised by how packed the Emirates looked today?

I didn't think they would sell out. Wenger even mentioned it in his post-matchh interview and thanked all the fans for their great support.

made me laugh how the celtic fans left, probably to go lick the bars
I thought that was pathetic. How insecure do you have to be about your own crappy little club, to not stay and watch a bit of good football, between two good sides, when you've already paid for it?

Hopefully they won't be invited back.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
No, he'll sign another centre back. He must.

I'm worried that he's said Almunia's going to play tomorrow. In fact I can't believe that ***** gets to play at the Emirates again wearing the Number 1 shirt - it's a joke.

You almost have to hope he throws in a clanger tomorrow......
So whats your preferred GK line up then?

Way I see it, we'd be better off with Almunia as second choice ahead of Fabianski or an unproven kid.

Godsend_Gooner

To the people who were at the stadium for this one,

How did the Clock look? Any of you clicked some pictures and care to share some of them here?

ricky1985

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
ricky1985 said:
No, he'll sign another centre back. He must.

I'm worried that he's said Almunia's going to play tomorrow. In fact I can't believe that ***** gets to play at the Emirates again wearing the Number 1 shirt - it's a joke.

You almost have to hope he throws in a clanger tomorrow......
So whats your preferred GK line up then?

Way I see it, we'd be better off with Almunia as second choice ahead of Fabianski or an unproven kid.
If I'm restricted to the 4 we have I'd go with Szczesny. If I was in charge however I'd sign a new goalkeeper.

I also don't care how illogical it is, but I never want to see Almunia play for us again. His mistake up at Birmingham was like a dagger through my heart, and I will never, ever forgive or forget that.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Godsend_Gooner said:
To the people who were at the stadium **** this one,

How did the Clock look? Any of you clicked some pictures and care to share some of them here?

It looks ok, but you can easily tell it's not the original one. For a start it's considerably bigger then the original one.

outlaw_member

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
outlaw_member said:
I still think we're not ruthless enough in front of goal. Given the number of times we go forward, we really should have a higher conversion rate. We could do with more signings along the spine of the team, but most importantly, our effectiveness needs to improve. We can't afford to miss the type of chances Rosicky and Randall did, and let's be honest, it's quite common for us to drop points after missed chances, and that's what I feel our title challenge will largely rely on.
Song, Fabregas and van Persie were missing - that's a big part of our spine right there.

My spine comments were more in reference to a GK, a backup CB and a backup CM. We're still missing one massive goalscorer within our ranks, and are too reliant on a wide number of players to get significant figures.

I became quite aware of what Koscielny would offer us in his first two games. It was the little glimpes of his traits and actions he likes to undertake which attracted me. I mentioned one of them before, which is that he hunts for the ball quickly and sharply. We're lucky that both our CB's have that quality. The other important thing is that given that particular tendency, they're going to have to communicate really well and learn to cover properly. The good thing for Koscielny is that he is very athletic and has quick acceleration, so he'll be more than comfortable in behind. On the ground, I don't think we'll have much to worry about.

In the air, Koscielny was pretty dominant, so there were definitely good signs there. Another concern I have is how both will deal with heavy strikers. The wiry build of our CB's is actually an asset and gives them great agility but it's important that they can overcome bigger oppoenents. In saying all of this, this partnership won't mean ****, if we don't complement it with a quality GK.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Dunno about Kos fellas, looks like a weaker version of Vermaelen.

Deffo needs a meal anyway.

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
ricky1985 said:
outlaw_member said:

My spine comments were more in reference to a GK, a backup CB and a backup CM. We're still missing one massive goalscorer within our ranks, and are too reliant on a wide number of players to get significant figures.

I became quite aware of what Koscielny would offer us in his first two games. It was the little glimpes of his traits and actions he likes to undertake which attracted me. I mentioned one of them before, which is that he hunts for the ball quickly and sharply. We're lucky that both our CB's have that quality. The other important thing is that given that particular tendency, they're going to have to communicate really well and learn to cover properly. The good thing for Koscielny is that he is very athletic and has quick acceleration, so he'll be more than comfortable in behind. On the ground, I don't think we'll have much to worry about.

In the air, Koscielny was pretty dominant, so there were definitely good signs there. Another concern I have is how both will deal with heavy strikers. The wiry build of our CB's is actually an asset and gives them great agility but it's important that they can overcome bigger oppoenents. In saying all of this, this partnership won't mean ****, if we don't complement it with a quality GK.
Pretty much agree word for word with that.

Koscielny and Vermaelen are both very intelligent footballers, so I'm confident they'll build a great understanding. I also think they will find a way of dealing with some of the talentless brutes in this League - brains triumphs brawn every time.

Another important aspect is the pressure from the midfield on our opponents - if one of Koscielny or Vermaelen are going to be looking to intercept passes to stop danger before it even happens - the midfield has got to be aggressively pressing the man in possession - otherwise no matter how good the understanding between the two centre backs is they will struggle.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I thought Koscielny had a marvellous game. His reading of the game is amazing. He was good in the air and uses the ball very intelligently. He's a lot like Vermaelen in several aspects.

Anzac

Established Member
So what shape did we play - 433 with Chamakh as lone striker with AA & Walcott off the flanks? Where did Nasri play?

otfgoon

Established Member
Anzac said:
So what shape did we play - 433 with Chamakh as lone striker with AA & Walcott off the flanks? Where did Nasri play?

Pretty much, though Rosicky started ahead of Walcott.

Nasri played the same place he's been playing throughout pre-season as the attacking midfielder.

Anzac

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Anzac said:
So what shape did we play - 433 with Chamakh as lone striker with AA & Walcott off the ****? Where did Nasri play?

Pretty much, though Rosicky started ahead of Walcott.

Nasri played the same place he's been playing throughout pre-season as the attacking midfielder.

Cheers mate - did Wilshere play?

M+D

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Lord Dula said:
Nela said:
Unsure if it's been mentioned, but was anyone else surprised by how packed the Emirates looked today?

I didn't think they would sell out. Wenger even mentioned it in his post-matchh interview and thanked all the fans for their great support.

made me laugh how the celtic fans left, probably to go lick the bars
I thought that was pathetic. How insecure do you have to be about your own crappy little club, to not stay and watch a bit of good football, between two good sides, when you've already paid for it?

Hopefully they won't be invited back.

Behave, most Arsenal fans around me didn't turn up until the Arsenal game had started. You can say that as the Celtic game was earlier it's easier to stay but both sets of fans had paid for both games and most didn't bother.

And the Celtic fans were brilliant during their game, having another British team adds something to the earlier games.

M+D

Established Member
Enjoyed my first glimpse of Koscielny in particular today, really aggressive in getting in front of his man and cutting out the ball, and looked very comfortable in possession too.

Chamakh showed everything that I liked about him when I saw him for Bordeaux too, tireless running but not only that, very intelligent movement too. Class finish for the goal but it's really all about his hold up play and movement.

Still don't like Wilshere as far back as he was btw, he did a decent job but I much prefer it when he's the one attacking players rather than moving the ball forward from deep.

Frimpong once again did well pressurising the ball and tbf was tidy in possession too. And in the 2nd half particularly did a great job on Flamini where he didn't seem to get a sniff.

Having not seen the Milan goal back, who do we think was most at fault there?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
M+D said:
Having not seen the Milan goal back, who do we think was most at fault there?
Looks like Djourou to me. He's in front of Pato but he mistimes his jump and there's not much that Koscielny, who is covering the area behind Pato, can do once the brazilian gets a nod on the ball.

Fabianski comes across as very insecure too, though. He makes a run towards the ball as the freekick's taken but then he stops and takes a few steps back. I don't know, it might have gotten Djourou off his balance.

Meatwad

i don't think he mistimed his jump because he actually ducked when he saw his keeper initially coming to punch or catch it. fabianski was indecisive and threw his defenders off.

oh and the english media disease strikes:

"JACK WILSHERE DOMINATES"
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/190421/Arsenal-versus-AC-Milan-Jack-Wilshere-dominates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/vie ... dominates/</a>

it's always funny reading after a tournament all the excuses as to why england failed "our players are the best in the world individually, but they just don't play together come tournament time." and other assorted nonsense. no they aren't, you just overrate them because they are english.

what would the headline be if he actually played good? MOVE OVER MESSI, THERE IS A NEW #1

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury

Latest posts

Top Bottom