• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v. AC Milan, Emirates Cup, Sat 31st July 16:20

Spork

Established Member
From what I saw on the rather average stream which I was watching, Jack did quite well considering he is still very young. He played a lot better than Arshavin anyway.

I have always believed that team co-operation is a big thing, and it only takes one substitution to stop a free flowing team, such as what we were last night before Chamakh was substituted off. Of course he had to be taken off, as Wenger may play him tonight as well, however bringing on Randall for Chamakh was a big mistake last night, and I believe that is why we conceded a goal. I am not making an excuse for Fabianski, who is directly at fault for the goal, but it seemed as though Arsenal were going all out attack, until Chamakh was taken off.

However, the game we all watched last night, entertained me far more than the whole of the World Cup ever did.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

ricky1985 said:
asajoseph said:
Really, really impressed with Koscielny today.

Nice finish from Chamakh, but not much to say otherwise, didn't really deserve MotM.

Gibbs and Clichy both excellent on the left, though neither tested at all defensively.

Nasri excellent on the right / centre of midfield.

Djourou was dreadful in central midfield, Frimpong was decent if a bit dodgy on the ball, and Wilshere didn't have as much influence as I'd hoped.

Oh, and Wenger got a bit of barracking about not spending (from me, honest!) but not much.
I should imagine the crowd lapped up all those interceptions he made, and every thumping header he won (I can't actually recall him losing a challenge in the air?).

Quite quick too eh, Asa? :mrgreen:

Did you not feel we lost a measure of control once Clichy replaced Gibbs? I felt Gibbs' composure in their half, meant we always had an out ball, and constantly worked his clever movement/presence to our advantage down his side.

Koscielny was good , tackled cleaner than Vermaelen and has a bit of leadership qualities too , towards the end he was driving the team up the field . Very happy with Chamakh and Vela looked quite bright as well . Think the depth looks pretty good in our squad .

P_Gunner

This has been a horrible pre season for me. I've missed every game for one reason or another. Downloading the AC Milan game now, if its good quality I'll provide links for you guys.

P_Gunner

Just watched the full first half.

Fabianski sadly looked very good. Still need a new keeper Arsène.

Eboue never did much to impress me and did look a bit suspect defensively. Also wasn't great offensively.

Koscielny was great.

Vermaelen was good and solid as always.

Gibbs looked very good. Really should be challenging Clichy for the starting spot if he stays fit.

Frimpong was average. Seems to me like Eastmond has a better positional sense but Frimpong is stronger and a better tackler. Will be interesting to see who becomes our 3rd/2nd choice DM from the two of them.

Nasri looked great.

Wilshere looked very good but was playing way too deep to take advantage of his full creativity.

Rosicky was neither here nor there. Never really did much, largely average.

Arshavin looked poor until his assist.

Chamakh looked great.

Our 2 new signings really have impressed me so far.

graham_ka

Established Member
I still hate how slowly we work the ball from flank to flank, we never make our opponents' defense sway or shift from side to side to open up gaps up the middle. We get so predictable and close down so many lanes once the ball get to our fullbacks out wide.

I was hoping that would have been addressed during the off season.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

It's mostly little decisions in the final third that cost us . usually the wrong decision.

graham_ka

Established Member
P_Gunner said:
Arshavin looks to have lost a bit of weight hasn't he?
Looks the same to me, Nasri looks very fit though. His body has transformed since the end of last season. I wish Vela would follow his path.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
P_Gunner said:
Arshavin looks to have lost a bit of weight hasn't he?

Could well be possible.
Something has changed in that direction, especially when you look at the Barnet 0 Arsenal 4 Wallpaper.

Freagle

I enjoyed the match, finally we get to see some football from our side. Even though we missed quite a few first team players I really enjoyed it and I am sure the fans who went there did as well.

Players who impressed me:

Gibbs, New lads and Nasri. I really feel this is Nasri's season, his set up play for me has improved a lot and he seems very comfortable on and off the ball this year.

ricky1985

Established Member
M+D said:
ricky1985 said:
I thought that was pathetic. How insecure do you have to be about your own crappy little club, to not stay and watch a bit of good football, between two good sides, when you've already paid for it?

Hopefully they won't be invited back.

Behave, most Arsenal fans around me didn't turn up until the Arsenal game had started. You can say that as the Celtic game was earlier it's easier to stay but both sets of fans had paid for both games and most didn't bother.

And the Celtic fans were brilliant during their game, having another British team adds something to the earlier games.
Just thought it was disappointing to see an entire stand empty. They were there already, 95% of them are there again today, why not stay and watch a bit of good football?

I don't remember the Rangers fans doing the same thing last year.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Ron Burgundy said:
Gurgen said:
Some of Nasri's dribbling was out of this world. His ball control is really amazing.
I reckon he's our most comfortable player with the ball at his feet.
The turn with his heel right before playing the ball to a free Rosicky in front of goal was world class.

M+D

Established Member
Fair enough Ricky, I wasn't there last year's so I couldn't really say. I just think it's inevitable, but at least having another British team livens up the first game a little and gives us a different challenge on the 2nd day too.

Another point I forgot to make about yesterday's game is that Rosicky really does slow the game down far too much at times, there was plenty of movement ahead of him yesterday but he often chooses the safe option despite several opportunities to play a ball in behind the defence.

Captain

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Just thought it was disappointing to see an entire stand empty. They were there already, 95% of them are there again today, why not stay and watch a bit of good football?

I would suggest that the Celtic fans developed an animosity towards us after last season's champions league qualifier.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Koscielny looks like he might be the goods doesn't he? The exciting thing about that for me is that if he and Vermaelen do work out as a combination, they're very close in age, and at similar stages of their careers, and both still have years ahead of them.

I would love us to have a central partnership that lasted five or so years, or even three or four. It would help us immeasurably in terms of composure and understanding.

ricky1985

Established Member
Captain said:
ricky1985 said:

I would suggest that the Celtic fans developed an animosity towards us after last season's champions league qualifier.
I actually forgot all about that. Could it explain I suppose - still petty though.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom